Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ali80ca_gw

Thoughts on colours

ali80ca
10 years ago

These are the colours I am thinking of using. Dark blue would be base cabinets, grey is uppers, small yellow is for backs of bookcases, paint chip for wall, fabric for banquette cushions. Floors will be like the cork that is beneath the samples.

Thanks for your input!

Comments (25)

• jennifer11203
    10 years ago

Love these colors!! and love how the fabric tyes everything together. cant wait to see the finished look!

• akl_vdb
    10 years ago

Love it. So organized, put together!

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Beautiful! Just love the colors!

• flying_c
    10 years ago

I really like the color scheme! But the color you called grey actually looks pale blue to me - I was surprised to see you call it gray. Could just be my monitor, though.

• ginny20
    10 years ago

I love it, too. I've always loved blue and creamy yellow. But I agree with Flying C, the uppers look like powder blue to me, and not a very gray blue. It's close to the light blue in the fabric, so it works. Were the pictures taken in fluorescent light? That would bring out blue tones.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I love it a lot. The only thing is that the lighter yellow for the walls looks slightly greenish on my monitor.

• ali80ca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone! It is funny how monitors change colours. The lighter yellow is BM barley. It has never looked green to me when I have seen it on the walls. The grey is a lighter grey (kraftmaid pebble grey). As far as lighting goes, I don't recall any lights being on when I took the picture, just the sunlight coming through the window.

I love all the colours and hope it looks as nice when it is all put together!

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I love your colors! Where did you get the fabric?

• cawaps
    10 years ago

I was going to say what nosoccermom said--the light yellow looks greenish on my monitor. And I was also surprised when you called the lighter cab color gray--totally light blue on my monitor. Obviously, light, cameras and monitors make it hard to judge these things.

Overall, I really like the combination. You need to judge if minor tweaks on colors are needed for your light in your space.

• ali80ca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

marti8a 2littlefishies showed a sample of that fabric and I fell in love with it. It is a greenhouse fabric called bluebell. I purchased the sample from insidefabric.com. It is always a bit more challenging as a canadian finding sources for products. I absolutely love the fabric!

• catbuilder
    10 years ago

The way we perceive color is subject to what is surrounding that color. Next to the navy blue and the yellow, your upper cabinet looks powder blue. But if you cover up everything in the photo except for that one element, it looks much grayer. So, you'll want to take that into account when choosing your paint colors (and cabinet colors). And always look at everything in the room they will be in, with the same lighting you will use. Also, try to have the samples in relative proportion to what they will end up being. If you have a lot of wall space, you will want to have a bigger paint sample of that, and probably a smaller one of the back of the bookcase. Cabinet fronts are usually the bulk of what you see, so keep those large. While the floor is large, it tends to be a backdrop and almost disappear, particularly when it's neutral like yours is. It also won't be next to anything except your lower cabinets, so try not to surround the samples with it so you can get a better reading of your colors.

• ali80ca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Catbuilder...when I look at the actual samples lying on the floor, the grey looks light grey with a bluish tinge (but definitely not powder blue...which brings back memories of 1980's proms!), and the paint sample looks yellowish. When I put it against the wall in my dining room it looks like a deeper yellow and not light at all. The kitchen has lots of windows and there won't be that much paint directly against the cabinets. The bulk of the paint will be above the banquette which will be in the blue. My biggest decision will be do I go for the blue or the grey for full height cabinets (like wall ovens or pantry). Any thoughts?

• ali80ca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok...here is the same stuff on a white piece of fabric. The 2 grey fabrics on the lighter door are just to give you an idea of its true colour. One piece is a very blue grey...the other has more green undertones.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Wow, pretty amazing difference of the colors now.

• ginny20
    10 years ago

That's amazing. Not only did the light blue panel turn gray, but the ivory paint sample turned yellow. I still like these colors together.

• ali80ca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I know! no powder blue

• mrspete
    10 years ago

I am absolutely no good at colors -- but, of course, I know what I like when I see it, and your choices are gorgeous. I think the dark blue anchor color is the key to this pairings' success. Lovely.

• mrspete
    10 years ago

I am absolutely no good at colors -- but, of course, I know what I like when I see it, and your choices are gorgeous. I think the dark blue anchor color is the key to this pairings' success. Lovely.

• ali80ca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am like you MrsPete. I know what I like, but don't always know why I like them. I think these will look lovely in our space.

• 2LittleFishies
    10 years ago

Hey!! Great fabric!! Ours is still being worked on as I type! Our Barley looks more subdued in person than yours shows but maybe b/c it's against the navy : )

• ali80ca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

2littlefishies, I love both the fabric and the barley. Ive had my eye on the barley for a while, it changes colour depending on what it is close to which I love, the first pic it looks way more subdued also. I am looking forward to seeing your banquette, it is such a nice shape. I asked you on the other thread how much fabric it ended up taking you. Bluebells is on sale right now...lol

• 2LittleFishies
    10 years ago

We are actually not doing cushions... we are upholstering it. We needed 4 yards of bluebells for the back and 3 yards of the naugahyde vinyl for the seat.

Our bench is about 8.5' long. Good luck!

• ali80ca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I recall that now 2littlefishies. Vinyl for the seats will be good with kidlets.

• andreak100
    10 years ago

In regard to colors - it doesn't really matter what it looks like with a white sheet behind everything - you want to see how the colors you are using interact and play together, so if white isn't one of your colors in the room, I would discount that as your judging point.

Also, the plane that a color is on makes a difference - so while seeing them all grouped together is nice, it doesn't accurately reflect what it's really going to look like. For example, a floor and countertop is going to be horizontal (with a small strip of vertical and how obvious that vertical line will be will vary depending on what edge you choose - an eased edge giving you the most vertical eye surface), while your cabinets, tile, and wall paint will be vertical, fabrics will be vertical or horizontal or both depending on what you are doing with them - you would do best judging them that way. So, ideally, your horizontal surfaces will be horizontal and your verticals will be vertical. Additionally, light plays a very significant role in how we perceive color as well.

And because of all of what I mentioned, I won't make final decisions (and purchase) my paint color, backsplash, or fabrics until after the floor, cabinets, and countertop are in. That being said, some people are better at it than what I am...but I'm one that really needs to see it put together close to how it will really be to know what I want.

• ali80ca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

andreak100, I totally agree about light and planes and all that stuff..exactly the reason that I am not choosing a backsplash in advance. In our kitchen the paint colour won't really be near where the bulk of the cabinets are. It will be in an area with the blue as will the fabric. In the main cabinet area we have 2 windows that are fairly high, cabinets are going to the ceiling, so the area around the windows will be minimal. I figure if necessary I can always find a grey that coordinates with the uppers and paint that small section a different colour, or just take the backsplash to the ceiling also. Nothing is written in stone as far as paint goes. I do really like that colour though and it does suit our space.