Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ni_2006

After all the drama, our cabinets are finally here!!! See picture

ni_2006
15 years ago

Some of you may recall all the drama we had with the previous KD who pretty much took $9K of our money and lied that he ordered our cabinets when he did not! He then lied and said that his company declared bankruptcy, which we later discovered was a lie as well. Anyhoo, after a lot of drama, we got our money back and used it towards the purchase of new cabinets.

As you can imagine, we have suffered so much without a kitchen (we were supposed to receive the original cabinets on May 9!).

So, here are the new cabinets!!! They only took 3 weeks to arrive. I do wish they were installed already, but our contractor is not able to start the installation for another week or so. Despite the delay, I am happy that all the drama has been resolved for us. Unfortunately, the SOB is still in business!!!

Some of the drawers need to be aligned, but I have been told by the company rep that it is an easy thing to do (or is it? What do you TKOs think?)

Comments (17)

• laxsupermom
    15 years ago

Your cherry cabinets are sooo gorgeous. I love the color you picked. Drawers and doors are relatively easy to realign. I hope everything goes smoothly from here on in.

• vicnsb
    15 years ago

Worth the wait...they are really beautiful.
    What cabinets are they and is that a natural or stain?
    Can't wait to see more!

• jujybean
    15 years ago

they are really pretty. Now go caress them some more.

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

Wow! They are truly beautiful! I don't know if you are buying from the same cab mfr as before, but if not consider it an upgrade. At the least you'll end up with a war story.
    My cab people did the alignment at the very end along with installation of toe kicks and cab hardware. HTH.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

I'm so glad you were able to recover your money from the crook!! The cabinets are beautiful. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

• boxiebabe
    15 years ago

Very pretty - glad it all worked out for you. Yes, the drawers and doors being realigned seems to be a relatively easy thing to do for someone who knows what they're doing.

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

Beautiful cabs with beautiful wood grain!

• morton5
    15 years ago

I am so pleased to hear that you recovered your money-- I felt so bad for you as that was all going down! Your new cabs are gorgeous!

• artielange
    15 years ago

Those are really pretty new cabinets.

• charlikin
    15 years ago

Ni, they look gorgeous! This is the Hanssem Eureka door in cherry with the carmel finish, yes? (Looked up old thread. :-)) Did you get particleboard or plywood? What kind of knobs/pulls are you using?

I am so glad you got your money back from that crook! Did he (she?) have anything to say for himself? How can he possibly still be in business????!?! What a thing to have gone through. Kitchen remodeling is stressful enough!

Congratulations! Be sure to post after they're installed!!

• bellsrus
    15 years ago

Cabinets are beautiful!

Did you report this guy to the Better Business Bureau in the hopes of saving someone else the same problems that you went through with him?

• ni_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all for your kind words. I am grateful for all the support during this ordeal.

vicnsb, the cabinets are cherry with carmel glaze. Charlikin is right, the style is Eureka from a company called Hanssem. They are frameless cabinets. They are nice and solid.

Blue, I was originally going to get the same brand cabinets from the crook.

I was a little nervous at first about getting Hanssem cabinets because no one at GW has ever used these cabinets.

Charlikin, I was originally going to get plywood, but after al lot of thinking, we opted for particleboard for all the boxes, except the sink base. We ended up getting full extension/slow closing drawers and slow closing doors, though! DH still does not understand why we need full extension drawers. They were pricey at $43 per drawer (24 drawers total--ouch!)...But I lalready love them and think they were worth the $$$!! Glad I won that battle!

We are planning to purchase these bar pulls (stole the idea from paul_ma). Paul was nice enough to email me all the sizes he used. I bought one of each size from the same EBay vendor because I can't decide the which size pull to use!! They were a great deal.

I am glad to hear that the drawers are easy to align. Phew! One less thing to worry about!

Here is a link that might be useful: bar pulls

• chinchette
    15 years ago

They are really pretty! Looks like a nice finish.

• ni_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bellsrus, I did report this business to the BBB, but the crook responded by saying something unbelievable like, "Customers cancelled the order and asked to get their money back. They are getting a refund within 10 days of cancellation". LIES, LIES, LIES. Anyway, since we had just gotten our money back when the BBB response came, we did not know what else to do. Sadly, his record on the BBB shows that the matter is resolved, but does not provide any details of our complaint.

The trustee who was assigned to the crook's personal bankruptcy case (he apparently declared personal bankruptcy, not as a corporation) is aware of what happened to us and was instrumental in getting us our money back. I am not sure if the trustee can do anything about it or if he has any power to shut the guy down.

While we were looking at our options, I called the state attorney's office who said to call the police and report the guy for fraud; however, when I called the police, they refused to take our statement saying that we should take this matter to civil court. Sigh....I get angry thinking about all of this!

I don't know who/where the crook got the money from to pay us back. I do want to protect other people from the anguish we experienced. Besides the BBB and Angie's List, I am not sure what else to do....It's quite sad....

• mattall
    15 years ago

Hi, just wondering if you are still pleased with your Hanssem cabinets . I am strongly considering. Thanks!

• ni_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi mattall,

I am quite pleased with Hanssem cabinets and their quality. A couple of doors and drawers were banged up during shipment and they have been good with processing the replacement. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

• arleneb
    15 years ago

I'm so glad you have a good resolution to this mess . . . how sad that your efforts to protect others from this fraud have been rebuffed. Your new cabinets are gorgeous and I hope a year from now this will be just a faint memory as you enjoy your beautiful new kitchen.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022