Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcward89

The 10,452nd question about sink grids...

dcward89
9 years ago

So I tried searching but I didn't see this specific issue discussed...or maybe I missed it. If you have a sink grid, do you have issues with silverware falling through the grid? I keep thinking about what a hassle it will be to have to lift that grid every time I need to put the dirty dishes in the dishwasher. Is this really a problem?

I know the perfect solution is to put the dirty dishes directly into the dishwasher but in my less-than-perfect world dirty dishes often get tossed into the sink until a full kitchen clean up and I'm not gonna get all starry eyed thinking I can change that...not gonna happen.

I am less than a week away from countertop install and being able to actually use my sink so I seem to be obsessing about every detail. Never had a sink grid before.

Comments (14)

• brightm
    9 years ago

No answer here. I have a grid on order with my sink on order, based on things I've read here.

Just trying to live vicariously through you and your much-further-along-than-mine-with-beautiful-natural-cherry-cabinets kitchen. :) What counters are you doing?

• dcward89
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We chose Corian Witch Hazel. Here's a pic I found here on GW...

It may not be a popular choice but I'm really excited about it. I think it will look awesome on our cabinets!!

• eaga
    9 years ago

I understand sweating over all the details. This is one you don't need to worry about. Yes, every once in a while a utensil will fall through, but IMHO, the very minor inconvenience of retrieving it is far outweighed by the benefits of having a grid.

• PhoneLady
    9 years ago

I would agree the benefits can outweigh the occassional inconvenience. But I've had grids where nothing ever fell through. It depends on the construction and design of the grid.

• elizabeth714
    9 years ago

i just had my first giant stainless undermount single bowl sink recently installed. it has a sink grid. i'm not 100% what the point is.....can someone help a girl out. it's in there, but i feel like when i wash dishes the gross dirty water goes all over it, so i wouldn't use it as a dry rack, per se. is it just to protect the sink?

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Rarely does a piece of silverware fall through the grid. It's really a non-issue.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Rarely does one fall through on mine. When a butter knife manages to slip through, I just retrieve it when I'm finished and wiping down the sink.

• ck_squared
    9 years ago

No issues with mine. And believe me, dishes are always waiting to go into the dishwasher and therefore, piled in the sink.

The bigger issue is chasing food stuffs down the drain. But the large single bowl sink with grid is worth that minor inconvenience, imho.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

I was sad to discover I could only get a linear style sink grid - the kind with just parallel wires, not the kind with the little squares, but nothing usually falls through!

• Buehl
    9 years ago

I also have a grid with the parallel tines and only a few horizontal ones on my cleanup sink (i.e., no "little squares" or "checkerboard") and rarely does silverware fall through. (The one on my prep sink has little squares/checkerboard.)

Regarding "chasing food stuffs down the drain" - I did that in my old kitchen with no grid, so it's no different now. In fact, it's easier as I don't have items sitting on the bottom of the sink to get in the way of the stuff I'm trying to wash down the sink!

I love my grids. They were included with my main/cleanup sink and after using them, I ordered one for my prep sink! I prefer the SS ones that came with my cleanup sink to the vinyl-coated one for my prep sink (my only option), but I would rather have one than not of either kind!

Pros of a sink grid?

Biggest advantages to me:

• Water doesn't backup into the colander when draining pasta and

When I rinse down the sink, items in the sink no longer block the drain or block the "way" to the drain so I don't have to "chase" specks of food, etc. around the sink!

Other advantages:

• There is less scratching of the bottom of the sink (this is minor to me since I don't mind the scratches)
    • When I dump something in the sink, whatever I've dumped doesn't wash all over everything sitting in the sink....whatever is dumped goes straight down the drain

If I'm handwashing dishes, I can use the grid tines to hold things up, especially plates & bowls (similar to a dish drainer) and dishes air dry faster b/c air circulates all around them
    I can rinse and drain dishes on the grid and still run water in the sink w/o running it all over the items again
    Things lay flat on the grid (no slope like in the bottom of a sink bowl and items in my sink no longer slip down the slope and cover/block the drain)
    If your sink is too deep for you on a daily basis, the grid will raise the bottom of the sink an inch or so
    Less need to clean/wipe the bowl b/c things aren't as likely to "stick"
    The stainless steel ones in my cleanup sink also act as a trivet for hot things (when the sink is clear, of course!)

As to the issue of veggie peelings and other things getting caught that others have brought up in other posts...based on my experience, I think this is a function of whether the grid tines are in a "checkerboard" or mostly in one direction and, possibly, how wide apart the grid tines are. I say that b/c my prep sink has the "checkerboard" tines and I've found things are much more likely to get "caught" in it than in the ones in my cleanup sink where the grid tines are mostly in one direction. Things don't get caught in the grids of my cleanup sink all that often.

Another issue people have brought up on other posts is wiping down the sink under the gird...I don't find it an issue - just lift the grid up, wipe the sink, put the grid down...simple, easy, fast!

Pics of my grids:

Cleanup Sink: ...

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

I held out on a sink grid for my Rohl farmsink for several years. Didn't see the point and also though stuff would get caught underneath and it would be a PITA. I had a cheapo rubber mat from HD that was ok for a while. But then I got a tiny nick in the sink and the mat got funky.

And everyone loved their grids so much. So I ordered one and waited, and waited, and waited. It was crazy expensive and the thing took 3 months to come.

But it's been so great I now can't imagine how I didn't see the beauty of it before. First, no issues with anything hot going down on it. The drain never gets blocked. Silver rarely goes beneath (I have the squares). I often prep directly on it either with a board or a bowl if I'm using the mixer. It's lower and the mess stays in the sink.

The oven racks and trays lean on there and are so much easier to clean.

I scrub it down and sometimes also give it an alcohol rub. The only gunk gets on the underside so it needs to be flipped for cleaning under there once a week.

I can remove the basket from the steamer and set it down in there and run cold water over things. Ditto for hardcooked eggs -- just put the hot pot on the grid and let the cold water overflow.

Bits of food go under more easily and the sprayer chases them into the drain. The only bore is corn silk -- so we don't hull them over the sink.

I was the last person who thought I'd even want one but I adore it, recommend it highly, and would never be without.

• westsider40
    9 years ago

Me too, what Buehl and Roc said. I, too, didn't think it was a big deal and now, 3 yrs. later, I love it. I clean it infrequently.

I dont prep veggies into the sink anymore. I use the counter with cutting boards. I gather veggie trimmings with my hand and toss into the garbage. Not down the drain.

Also, having a center drain is not a negative because the grid prevents a 'traffic backup' for things, liquids, going down the drain. That's not a very clear statement on my part.

Love the grid, didn't expect to. Dont overthink it. It's good.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

I have grids - but don't store in the sink - too much yuck to keep clean - they have a home and just pop in the sink as needed. Nothing falls through that I have noticed.

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

I admit, I didn't like mine at first but I've gotten used to it and found lots of uses for it. I can't say I LOVE it but I'm ok with it. Funny, I never had one for all the years I've been married until I had the granite put in and so now I do, shrug.. The only thing it really does is give you a little peace of mind about scratching your sink bottom and I do set vegetables on it sometimes after rinsing and other things to drain.

One neat thing I have done with the one in the laundry room sink is lift it out and turn it sideways and set it front to back over the sink and dry things on it. Sometimes if I hand wash something I will lay it out on the grid to dry. You only have room for one item at a time but sometimes I just need to dry something like gloves in the winter, a knee brace I wash after running or a hat that got snowed on and it's just easy to set them on the grid and let the water drip into the sink. My husband will set his running shoes on it after he washes them in the washer. I've also put some nice undies, or other lingerie there to dry. But again, I have this second stainless sink in my laundry room off the kitchen so I can do things like that in there without fear of flashing undies to the neighbors who might drop in.