Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rkb21_gw

Opinions needed on my hardware, please!

rkb21
10 years ago

I would really love your opinion on my hardware. I really like what I've chosen, but now I'm trying to figure out if I should do all pulls or knobs on the doors and pulls on the drawers.

A close up of the knobs/pulls and how they look on my doors:

An idea of our space:

Here is a photoshopped version of all pulls:

Here is a photoshopped version of knobs/pulls:

So, what do would you do:
1. Knobs/pulls combo
2. All pulls
3. For the desk area, would you recommend pulls on all the bottom drawers or break it up with a combo of knobs and pulls?

If I did all pulls, then I would need a knob to put on a very small drawer that is to the right of the DW or something else that would fit there. Ideas welcome!

Thanks so much for your input!!!

Comments (34)

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Very nice RK, I don't think you can go wrong either way. I wanted to do all pulls in my kitchen. I did except for my penninsula cabinets where I decided to use knobs simply because I thought they were simply too pretty to not use a few of them!

That choice is just so individual. I have a very good friend who used all knobs in her kitchen so she didn't have so much to decide on. As much as I love the matching knobs to my pulls I wouldn't want them on every door and drawer because a pull, imo, is easier to use.

• DGM123
    10 years ago

I'd vote knobs and pulls. I think the knobs won't compete with the beautiful trim on your cabinet doors.

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

I agree with DGM123: knobs and pulls. Usually I prefer pulls to knobs, but your cabinets have really lovely detailing on the doors that seems to work better with the knobs. The pulls seem to compete a little bit. Also, if down the road a ways you decide that the knobs just aren't working for you, you'd simply have to drill a second hole to switch to pulls. It's more difficult to go from pulls back to knobs.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I wonder if pulls placed horizontally would look good?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Love them pulls...skip the knobs....

• hmgbrd5
    10 years ago

I like the pulls! Guess it's what YOU like!

• ginny20
    10 years ago

I like the pulls, too, and I'm surprised, because I usually prefer a knob with raised panel uppers.

Since it's such a hard call, either way will be lovely.

I would be careful of knobs on any drawers where they can catch on pockets. I tore aprons and more on the lower knobs in my old kitchen - of course, they stuck out a lot more than these knobs.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I usually like pulls; however, with your cabinets, I'd vote for knobs on the doors and pulls on the drawers.

• motherof3sons
    10 years ago

Another knobs and pulls vote. Love the detail on your cabinets.

• rkb21
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for everyone's input!

holly-kay: I didn't really think about the horizontal pulls. I'll have to see what that looks like.

pricklypear: I was worried about that, too. Once I drill for the pulls, I can't go back...Yikes!

I had initially thought I'd do knobs on the doors with pulls on the drawers. Then, I saw the doors and how narrow a space I had for the hardware placement. My first choice knobs wouldn't work. So, that's when I thought of doing all pulls. My second choice of knobs just barely fits in the space and I do like them with the matching pulls.

I really like the way the pulls look on our doors because they are so tall, but I'm worried that there will be too many pulls.

I don't know if the variation of knobs/pulls is better aesthetically or not.

So far, it looks like 3 votes for pulls and 3 votes for knobs/pulls combo.

Please keep the votes coming...it's too close for me to decide :)

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to chime in!!!

You guys are all great!

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I think what throws me off is that the pulls seem kind of small or perhaps should be moved higher.

Here is a link that might be useful: pulls / knobs

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I agree with nosoccermom. The placement doesn't seem right, especially the pull. They also seem crowded with all the detailing on the door.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I think my KD indicated 3 inches from the bottom of the door for a knob or for the bottom hole on a pull. I think that the reason I like the pull is because larger cab doors, imo, look better with a pull. I do like the pulls you chose, they are a nice fit for your cabinets.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I like the knobs better. The pulls seem to get visually caught up in the moldings on the door. Not sure about their location though. Seems a bit low and tight with the miter/corner of the door details. Have you tried it higher?

• kksmama
    10 years ago

I think I would do all pulls, and I think I'd do them all horizontally. I'm not a fan of knobs in general (though right now I'm leaning to glass/crystal knobs for my kitchen because the up uppers will have glass doors).
    Your cabinet doors, and your pull choices, are gorgeous! It must be so exciting to be so close to the finish line!

• rkb21
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again for the input...it's really helpful!!! My husband's response was, "I don't think it matters that much so just do whatever you think would look better." That was that...so it's great to bounce ideas off of all of you!

I think I'm up to 5 for the pulls and 4 for the knob/pull combo...wow! It's a close one.

nosoccermom: Thanks for the link! I wasn't sure about the placement. I just assumed that the bottom is supposed to line up with the horizontal line of the panel. I will definitely check on the placement of the pulls!

The pulls are 4", the doors are 42" high.
    I was going to use 4" everywhere and use the 5" on the wider drawers, if I used all pulls.

holly-kay: Thanks for the 3" tip...I will check that.

kksmama: You're the second person to suggest placing them horizontally...I really need to snap a picture of it that way.

It's been a crazy day. They just finished everything except the doors need to be hung, backsplash placed and hardware put in. I just finished mopping the floor...Yay for seeing the floor and counters!!!

I can at least use my kitchen...hooray :)

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

I'm generally a pull person, but in your kitchen I see knobs.

Even if you do pulls everywhere else, a knob would be fine on the little drawer and door.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I think your kitchen is too traditional to do the horizontal pulls, and I don't see how it solves the problem of the pull looking squeezed into a tight space.

kksmama mentioned crystal knobs. A round crystal knob might fit better and go well in your pretty kitchen. I think beekeeperswife has/had them in both her old and new kitchen, and that's all the endorsement one needs around here. ;)

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Ohhh May-flowers, crystal knobs would be stunning!

• rkb21
    Original Author
    10 years ago

May-flowers: thanks for the input. I think you're right. Our kitchen is very traditional and I agree it would look out of place to do horizontal pulls. I do love the idea of crystal knobs. Though I don't know how it would look if I used them everywhere. Would you suggest crystal knobs on the doors and the pulls that I chose on the drawers? I need to check out beekeepers kitchen again :)

Thanks!

• sanjuangirl
    10 years ago

I like all pulls. I think they compliment the detail on your cabinets.

That being said, I adore crystal knobs and can imagine them looking fab in your kitchen!

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Crystal knobs sound lovely, but either way, I think the knobs/pulls need to go higher.

Here is a link that might be useful: beekeeperswife crystal knobs

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Oh my I so wish that crystal knobs would have been a good compliment to my cabinets. I so wanted crystal knobs and now I know why. Maybe I can have a hutch built for the eat in side of my kitchen and use those lovely glass knobs!

• mtnfever (9b AZ/HZ 11)
    10 years ago

ooooh another vote for crystal knobs! I had been reading along, having a hard time deciding which look I liked better, then the crystal knobs hit the scene: instant winner!

cheers

• rkb21
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's been great getting everyone's input! I appreciate it.

It seems like there wasn't a clear winner on the all pulls vs pulls/knobs question. I guess I can't go wrong then :)

There were a lot of votes for doing glass knobs, though. I am considering the glass knob option. I'll have to get a sample to see it in my space.

Would you pair it up with the pulls I chose?

Holly-Kay: I took your advice on going 3" up and snapped a couple of pictures.

I am kind of leaning towards all pulls unless the glass knobs look awesome.

What do you guys think of the placement? Better?

The pulls on the drawers:

Thanks for the input...it's been really helpful!

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I love the way the pulls look! I think the placement is much better now.

• kellysar
    10 years ago

I think the pulls look great with the higher placement. What a difference! I think you could even go ~ 1/4" higher for the bottom of the pull to be at the same height as the bottom of the raised panel.

• rkb21
    Original Author
    10 years ago

holly-kay: Thanks! I've ordered some glass knobs...maybe I'll use them on the glass doors above the desk and the little butler's pantry area.

Kellysar: Great idea to line the bottoms up with the raised panel! Thanks.

Does anyone know if the top of the pulls on the bottom doors also go 3" down?

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

The placement looks so much better!

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Yes RKB, that is how mine are done. I will try to post a pc later on this evening.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Definitely pulls! The last example you show looks great. I still like the odd knob on smaller doors and would love to see how crystal looks.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

On the door, do your fingertips bump into the molding when you try to use the pull? It almost seems to me that you need a pull with a deep arch to clear the molding. It's hard to tell in a straight-on photo.

• rkb21
    Original Author
    10 years ago

may_flowers: Thanks for thinking of it. I checked as soon as I got home...there's a lot of clearance. whew!

holly-kay: thanks for the placement tip!

A far away shot of knob vs pull. I still am leaning towards the pulls. I will post a picture of the crystal knobs when I get them in the mail.

Thanks again to all of you!

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I really love your pulls they have a classic elegance to them. Such a lovely choice.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!