Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Different Backsplash materials

Posted by meyersdvm (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 18, 13 at 8:28

Now it is my turn to obsess over backsplash options. I have at least 10 samples that were either too busy, too white, etc. We ran into issues after templating and laying out my material for vein matching with a laminated edge. Unfortunately there were no more slabs in this light color of Prada Gold to be had. The baking center under the window will still have a 6 cm edge and the granite will run flush into the window as the sill material.

Since I have two different heights and wanted to further differentiate the range wall from the window wall, I am considering using a full height granite backsplash under my cabs on the range wall and painting or doing a subtle paintable wallpaper for the splash on the window wall. I do not have enough material left to do a full height splash on the window wall, too. If I use a single material such as a creamy subway tile, there will be a step in the splash where the two different counter heights meet.

My granite is busy and I love it. I don't want another pattern to compete with it, even if the color is a good match. The splash would not extend past the cabinet at the end of the run even though the counter does.

Thoughts TKOers? Thanks for your input!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Different Backsplash materials

I don't like the idea of granite behind the range wall because you have the stove with the high back.
You have two issue to address. For arguments sake, if you pick a subway tile, I don't think it will be an issue on the two different heights.
On the range wall, take the tiles to the end of the counter. Top with a bullnose tile. Put a picture, or even decorative shelves in that space.
I just can't see how you will end the granite if you use it on that wall.

o

Ellen- Thanks for the reply. I am not a fan of a backsplash without a cabinet over it, so I will have the granite fabricator polish and round/bevel the edge so it stops at the edge of the cabinets. The peninsula will just have the painted wall.

o

Love the color of your granite. What color is it?

o

Jennifer- the granite is Prada Gold. It is usually much darker, but I happened to find some creamier slabs. I was totally set on using Danby marble until I saw this and preferred the warm tones.

o

Its beautiful.. I saw a similar one this weekend that I fell in love with.. im not sure of the name.

o

That looks very similar! I love that one, too ;)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here