Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Talking of Serving Bowl storage? Do I have room?

Posted by doonie (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 8, 13 at 8:21

Reading the thread about serving bowl storage got me thinking. Right now my serving bowls are scattered throughout the kitchen in various nooks and crannies. It would be so nice to have them in one location. Plus I finally bought some new dishes that work better with the kitchen (remodeled in 2010) so that took up even more shelf room.

I keep toying with an idea of some sort of free standing buffet in my eat in kitchen area, but I'm not sure it will work. The storage for less frequently used dishes and serving bowls would be awesome, however it's in a corner of the kitchen with windows and although space wise a smaller buffet would work, I'm afraid it will look weird with the windows, especially the patio sized ones.

I could probably reorganize/declutter the mudroom cabinets that are adjacent to the space for extra consolidated storage.

I would like to hear your opinions?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Talking of Serving Bowl storage? Do I have room?

How much room is there between the edge of the patio door and the wall? Is there enough room to accommodate bowls stacked flat, or would they have to be stored on edge? Similar to the storage beside the fridge in rococogurl's kitchen? I like the idea of a long run of shelving, below the window and TV. I couldn't find a good example, but mermanmike's kitchen has some open base shelves below a window.

And since you can use the top as a serving buffet, I say go for it.

Here is a link that might be useful: mermanmike's kitchen

o

I found an interesting pic on houzz--maybe you could do an expanded version of this wall-mounted shelf:

Or ditch the TV, and do a wall of storage, something like this:

Maybe more than you bargained for. ;)

This post was edited by mama_goose on Sat, Jun 8, 13 at 11:39

o

One more. This isn't under a window, but the depth is fairly shallow, while providing a lot of storage. I wonder if there are pets in the home--I can't imagine being able to keep dishes on those low shelves dust and pet hair free. Maybe just rinse before use? I did that for years with my old sawdust-shedding cabinet drawers.

o

Did I say one more? Searching on Living Rooms will net a lot more 'shelves under windows' pics:

Here is a link that might be useful: shelves under windows/houzz

o

I appreciate all of the ideas, Mamagoose! We do have animals...2 cats, a small dog and a huge dog, so the open shelving won't work for us. There would be all sorts of fur etc. Yikes!

I did find a 30" high console that might work? I don't know. I have maple and cherry in the kitchen already, so I should probably stick with those finishes, but the walnut on this site looks so beautiful!

Here is a link that might be useful: Modern Shaker 4 door console

o

Oops, I guess my bias toward white kitchens took over. Yes, the console is beautiful--I love anything with Shaker doors. Would you center it under the TV, under the window, or on the wall?

o

I don't know. I can't figure out where it would be centered? I guess on the wall? Would it be weird to get in the natural walnut finish?

o
Centering furniture

After measuring the space and thinking about it, centering it on the window makes the most sense. I will still have clearance for the patio door opening to about 130 degrees before it would hit the cabinet. I think I need some weight over on that side of the room as well.

If anyone else has any buffet ideas or thoughts, I'd love to hear them.

o

Is that a vent below the windows? You should make sure that won't be a problem with whatever piece of furniture you get. You wouldn't want to block the air.

o

Yes, TexasPenny, that is a vent. I'm looking for furniture with legs so to avoid the vent covering problem. Being a wood grain lover, I am currently lusting after the latest walnut kitchen reveal! I may "need" a piece of walnut furniture!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here