Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelle16_gw

BOXER- and anyone else-pls post pics of grey cabs with the color

michelle16
11 years ago

If anyone has grey cabs and can post pics with the name of the shade, that would be awesome!!! Thank you

Comments (22)

• Lake_Girl
    11 years ago

Check out blog called August Fields. She has beautiful gray cabs using the Fieldstone color that francoise mentioned in your other thread.

• NewSouthernBelle
    11 years ago

Michelle - I looked at your other posts with the inspiration pic and your slab. I'd post them below but I don't know how to do that from your pics. If you could do that here, it would give people more of an idea of why you want grey cabinet colors.

My question is, do you want a dark grey to pick up the streaks in your slab or do you want a real light grey?
    Here is GW's flatwater's kitchen from last August. She used BM Cumulus. But the link is below.
    {{!gwi}}

If you want something darker, I can make some suggestions but I will have to get back to you on those paint colors. I did a darker stain but it was custom-made stain so I can't give you a name. Sorry, but here is pic for reference with white cabinets (SW Dover White) and a grey backsplash. I too struggled with how to balance light and dark and make sure I had enough contrast. I am very happy with how it all turned out though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flatwater's Kitchen

• michelle16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

newsoutherbell- wow, i can't thank you enough for that picture!!!!! That was the color I'm leaning towards, so it's great to get a visual

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Flatwater, a man, used BM Nimbus on his cabs. Seeing how great that color is, I used it on my family room walls adjoining the kitchen. Warning: it can have a bit of purpley undertone in some lights.

• michelle16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

haha, somehow I knew 'dude' wasn't right!!

• michelle16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

sorry that post was meant for another thread where I spelt subdued wrong!! NEw southern belle- I would like it to be alittle darker than cumulous cloud, but when I go darker, I see more undertones, so Maybe I truely just like the softer greys

• michelle16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

pic. of slab in same post to help

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

For a darker, true gray, have you looked at BM Coventry Gray? It always looks like a very gray gray without blue or green undertones to me in any light I've looked at it.

P.S. There nothing wrong with softer grays! I really liked BM Gray Owl and wanted to use it for my kitchen or family room, but when I tried it in those rooms there was so much natural light that the paint looked pastel green. Yuck. It is, however, magic in our office! Less natural light there makes it look softly gray with only a hint of green.

• michelle16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Breezy so funny, the gray owl looks mint green in my kitchen as well, and def. too light. Maybe I should just embrace the cumulous cloud!! I do love the soft look, I guess I'm just obssessing over the fact that the designer said there had to be contrast. But my floors are wood and I will have a half wall of some wood cabs, so maybe that's enogh contrast! Haha-- thanks for making me see, just go with your gut!

• NewSouthernBelle
    11 years ago

Oops, didn't know flatwater was a guy. My bad. Most people here are women but indeed, not all. Sorry about that flatwater.

I liked flatwater's cumulus cabinets but they read very, very light to me and if I were you, and that were my slab, I would want to pick up some of the darker grey veining, especially b/c some of your other cabinets are going to be white. Looking at the Color Stories fan deck, maybe consider wall street, wool peacoat, street chic, rainstorm or castle.

If you like a warm grey, I think plymouth rock is amazing, however it might be too brown compared to your slabs.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

NSB--Flatwater's cabs are BM Nimbus.

As I mentioned earlier, I used Nimbus in my family room adjoin ing the kitchen. Gray Owl looked pastel green, but Nimbus reads noticeably darker in the same light. Going with your gut is a good idea. Are yours dark?

• michelle16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Newsouthernbelle- tks for the names of those, I will check it out, im attatching a picture of the 3 shades of cabinets, i think it does work, even though it isn't a huge contrast, I think the wood warms it up. Ignore the dark cabs in picture, it would be the other 3, the white dove, cumulous, and the lighter wood. thoughts??

• michelle16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

this is my current kitchen, i'm keeping the wood floors and wood cabinets on the half wall near the table. everything else going, the current cabs are thermofoil, wasn't my pick, and I'm donating the granite. but it gives you an idea of the space and color of the wood cabinets and floor.

• michelle16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

this is the other portion that's going bye bye!

• michelle16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

this other wall where fridge is will be in the grey, but the frig will be fully integrated with wood panel

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

Michele16 - That is my inspiration picture! I have toted the magazine around forever.

• MichelleDT
    11 years ago

A friend of mine just did her island in BM Cumulus Cloud with Carrara marble. Perimeter cabs are white with leathered black granite. She did RH Benson pendants over the island with SS appliances. It is stunning. If I get over there in the next few days, will take a picture for you.

Go with your gut!

• mamadadapaige
    11 years ago

I just used BM Harbor Gray on a job and it came out beautifully. Looks very much like the picture you posted at 19:45.

• michelle16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for your suggestions. mother of 3sons- are you doing the 3 cabinet finishes or the 4?? and I actually got that picture from doing research and saw your post!! Michelle- if you could get a picture, and let me know what white she used with the cumulous, that would be awesome, because I keep going back to the cumulous.

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

Right now we are doing two colors - stained cherry and cream The island is not painted yet and I could change my mind. That grey is calling my name! My concern would be if it clashes with the gray walls.

• michelle16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What color grey are you doing on your walls?? i thought of that since my perimeters and island will be the white dove, and I will have a whole wall of cabinets in the soft grey, what to do with the walls??

• Shareher
    11 years ago

Here is Sherwin Williams porpoise with white quartzite on the island. Might be darker than you want, but the contrast is nice. Perimeter is BM revere pewter which also works with the quartzite.