Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sparklingwater_gw

Does plugmold affect backsplash install height?

SparklingWater
10 years ago

Reading through some old GW kitchen threads, it seems that plugmold can affect backsplash install or height?

Is this true? My goal is for 18" of backsplash, which will be done later. I still have time to keep plain old outlets with matching covers if it does. I don't want even more complexity added in to this remodel.

Opinions please? Thank you very much btw.

Comments (12)

• xedos
    10 years ago

It depends on what EXACTLY you are measuring !

If your cabinets were installed 18" above the finished countertop and the plugmold was installed directly on the bottom of the wall cabinet against the wall before the backsplash was installed then yes - your backspalsh material will not be 18" tall.

If the splash material is installed first it can be 18" then the plugmold installed installed. You will still see less than 18" of splash because the the plugmold hangs down. On Euro cabinets you will likely have a front molding or lip that hides lighting and it will reduce the seen 18" too. With framed cabinets it could be anything, depends on the maker.

What exactly are you trying to achieve ? Does the material you want to use only come in 18" tall ? What are the chances your tradesmen will get the entire run 18" exactly with no variation whatsoever if that is the case ?

Using Plugmold is pretty simple in concept, but the details are pretty numerous and those add complexity to a cabinet design.

• SparklingWater
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for answering Xedos.

My goal is backsplash simplicity. An experienced BS installer has us scheduled in 3 months to do a basic 2 x 4 or 3 x 6" beveled ceramic tile job. It is 18" from counter surface to light rail, as that is how the designer and I planned it for pro range installation reasons and lateral adjacent cabinets.

I opted for white plugmold to avoid back splash outlets, so that is what is going in. The light rail will hide the back of wall some, i.e, the plugmold and led junction box.

I assume an experienced tiler can work with this. I hope he doesn't have to crane his neck to awkwardly.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Is your plugmold mounted on the wall? Ours is mounted uc so doesn't change BS

• SparklingWater
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good point, a2gemini. I hadn't thought of that.

As yet, there is no plugmold up. I'm just thinking out load (well, to GW) how to most avoid backsplash impact.

Where under the cabinet is your plugmold mounted? Towards the back I assume, near but not on the wall?

edit: sp.

This post was edited by SparklingWater on Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 9:45

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

I will try to post a picture later.
    The GC and sparky worked together. Mine are mounted on an angle strip OD wood towards the back of the cabinet.
    If you search for a2 final reveal, I have pictures there as well.

• SparklingWater
    Original Author
    10 years ago

a2gemini-You are a wealth of timely information! You're kitchen is beautiful. I found a thread where you put up plugmold photos, and am linking it below. I will talk with my electrician on placement (I also have frameless cabs, with a 3/4" light rail). I think I see how they go with other pictures too, and should be able to avoid install problems.

I also found a discussion and photos by you on Bulthaup birch drawer organizers. Really nice quality. There is a Bulthaup store near me so I'll go and take a look.

Thanks for helping me out on this matter. Hope the electrician tries hard to minimize plugmold sighting as well as proximity to BS.

Here is a link that might be useful: link on plugmold

• xedos
    10 years ago

SW - re: the Bulthaup inserts,

They are really nice, but will only fit Bulthaup's drawers which almost no one else uses and they cost $300 - $600 per piece. They are not customizable for size and most showrooms won;t really be interested in selling you just an insert for a kitchen they didn't sell.

Your mileage may vary.

• SparklingWater
    Original Author
    10 years ago

xedos-thank you too for your comments on the plugmold! I'm learned what questions to ask the electrician.

Well then, I guess I'll pass on the Bulthaup inserts. Too costly for me! I know Halafe has wood, and I suspect if I look further, others do too. Maybe Lee Valley Hardware? I just like the feel and look of wood.

You are so kind to share this information xedos.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Sparkling - glad I could help. There is a commercial plug mold which is very bulky and the type that I used which is more residential. I have even seen some newer modular systems.

I don't have Bulthaup's drawers nor their organizers - I used Made Smart organizers and a few others.
    If you have the link - I would be curious to see what it says.
    Good luck!
    Thanks

• kksmama
    10 years ago

A2gemini, I had not seen your plugmold and really appreciate the timely post! In the linked thread you mentioned regret at keeping some in the backsplash - have you yet found those useful/necessary? I don't see the coffee maker or grinder cords hanging - are those plugged into the backsplash? I think that even after our remodel, the grinder, coffee maker, and KA mixer will be sitting on the counters all the time - so maybe I want plugs for those behind the appliances?

• SparklingWater
    Original Author
    10 years ago

In case anyone is interested, I've linked the bulthaup site.

Thanks again a2gemini and xedos.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link:

This post was edited by SparklingWater on Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 18:43

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

kk- I kept 3 plugs in the counter as I also had switches on 2 of them.
    The coffee pot and grinder are always plugged in the corner of the kitchen.
    The other 2, I could live without - if I knew about the push button for the garbage disposer - I would have gotten rid of the one to the left of the sink. The other one in my bake zone - It is OK, as I like having the light switch in that area - so an extra plug.
    Sounds like you have the same set-up - same appliances - although my Vitamix is living on the counter for now as well.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths