Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
siobhra40

Should I put this chandelier in my kitchen?

Siobhra40
10 years ago

I have just installed a new cream kitchen in my small kitchen dinner. The granite worktops will be very light /gray colour and the floor will be a dark laminate. The overall effect will be very neutral.
I have a chandelier in the attic for a few years and never found a place for it. I am not sure if I could put it over my new Ikea circular table in the corner of the room, to add a splash of colour and use red as an accent colour in chair cushions, kettle etc. One of my friends thinks it is a bit old fashioned, the other likes it. I just can't decide now if it's hideous or a stroke of genius! I need your help. Will try and attach photos

This post was edited by Siobhra40 on Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 8:35

Comments (13)

• Siobhra40
    Original Author
    10 years ago

photos

This post was edited by Siobhra40 on Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 9:32

• azmom
    10 years ago

Any photo of the chandelier? what is the dimension of it?

If its size is right, I think it is a brilliant idea! It goes with your cabinets and would bring sparkles to your kitchen.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

It could be fun and looks like it suits your colorful style in the background. I guess it would fit a somewhat funky or bohemian nterior, imo.

• MizLizzie
    10 years ago

Wow. Love it. Not my style, but I love it. I can see why you have been saving it. ITA it is for a bohemian space, tho. Would love to see pictures of your room.

• Siobhra40
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It' 16 inches across.Would love to add photo of the kitchen but it took me an hour to figure out how to add this one. (I accidentaly added every photo I have in photobucket - over 100 !). Will try again. the last time I tried, it replaced this photo with the kitchen one. The kitchen is cream shaker and my house isn't very modern.

• brickeyee
    10 years ago

Keep in mind it is going to need cleaning.

A lot more often than in a dining room.

This post was edited by brickeyee on Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 12:11

• Siobhra40
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My friend said the same thing. I wasn't sure if that was a code for, don't do it! I think I might just go for it. I can always change it if it doesn't work. Electrician coming in the morning and he wants a decision.

• texaspenny
    10 years ago

I say do it too. You already own it, the electrician will already be coming out, and if you don't like it, you can replace it later. If it makes you happy looking at it, then do it.

• rosylady
    10 years ago

Yes, light fixtures are easy to swap out. Hang it and live with it for a while to see if you love it.

I love your kitchen, by the way!

• michellemarie
    10 years ago

YES! Your chandelier is lovely and will look great!

• sanjuangirl
    10 years ago

I think it's fun! If you wanted to make it less boho and aliitle more straight up chandelier, you could change some of the colored crystals for clear ones. You could also choose to stick to maybe one or two colors of crystal and mix with the clear. I seem to always swap out some of my crystals on all of my chandeliers to make them my own and because I love French Pendant crystals, so I order them online and replace some of the other crystals for the new ones. Google "crystal chandelier parts" and you'll be amazed at what you can do to a chandelier!

Your kitchen is lovely, can't wait to see it finished! I hope you hang the chandelier!

• Siobhra40
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What a great idea sanjuangirl. I would never have thought of that. It's going up today and I won't know if it's working until the kitchen is fully finished. Will post a photo when it's all done, may be a few weeks.

• suburbanrancher
    10 years ago

I have this over my kitchen sink in my modern-style kitchen and everyone loves it. But most importantly, my husband and I love it. Put the light on a dimmer and you'll be amazed at how great it looks at night, gently lit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mini-chandelier