Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrs_wiggley

Painted Glass Walls/Back Splash

mrs.wiggley
9 years ago

I've been thinking about tearing down the horrible brown (not sure what it's called...formica?) on my kitchen walls (under cabinets,behind sinks, etc) and replacing it with glass that has been painted on the back. I've really liked photos I've seen. It has a clean look. But I have no practical experience of its everyday functionality. And I'm not sure where one gets that product. Or perhaps it wouldn't be that hard to do myself. Does anyone have any experience with painted glass? I've added a sample photo so you can see what I mean
:

Comments (17)

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I got mine from a local glass company. I painted it myself, but they would have done it for me.

They have to template and then try it in, then it gets painted then they install it.

It's not an inexpensive option, but not as expensive as some tile would be.

• mrs.wiggley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Was the painting a difficult project? What kind and thickness of glass was used and what kind of paint?
    Also, what about maintenance (smudges, hand prints, grease cleanup, etc)?

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I used Starphire glass (low iron to prevent the greenish cast) and I believe it was 3/8" thick, and tempered after fabrication.

I just used regular latex paint with a roller and multiple thin coats.

It cleaned up easily with a little Windex.

• mrs.wiggley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much for your reply. That was helpful.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I looked into this a couple of months ago. You can also have glass backsplash backprinted on. I actually asked a local company whether they could do this, and it was not very expensive. You can also buy cut tempered glass online and they will ship.
    Now, the main issue is most likely that your walls need to be very straight.

Here is a link that might be useful: thread on digital printing on glass

• mrs.wiggley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

nosoccermom - WOW...the possibilities are endless with that printing process. Do you have a link for the online source for cut tempered glass (which I assume you paint yourself)?

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

"Now, the main issue is most likely that your walls need to be very straight."

nosoccermom:

Excellent point. If the walls aren't straight, you can bring the walls to the glass, but you've got to figure that out before template and ordering.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

I really, really wanted back painted glass.
    As stated above - walls need to be straight (and ours were not!)
    Starphire glass is best as it has the best color (not green coke glass)
    It is expensive - I never got as far as getting a quote due to the wall issue.

Check out Bear Glass - I believe they have tiles you can purchase. There were a number of other companies that also offered tiles that were back painted.

Hope you do it so I can see the finished results. :-)

• juno_barks
    9 years ago

I am embarking down this road as I patiently await my countertops. I am wondering if anyone who has done this can tell us what they spent, and whether it still feels like an easy-to-clean surface?

I live in Utah, called four glass places, and two of them install glass backsplashes (two didn't answer their phone or return my call). The one who would give me an estimate said $35/square foot, and this includes sandblasting the back and painting with a specialty paint (like an automotive paint). Install would be another $85/hour. The glass type was not specified, though I could certainly call and ask..

I am looking at a 10-foot x 1.5 foot backsplash, meaning maybe $600 installed.

I would love to hear about other people's experiences.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

It is nice. How is it installed? Any DIY'ers?

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Check with commercial glass product installers. They do that more often.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

After cruising through every secondhand building materials store I could find while doing the reno house, I wonder if this can be done on the cheap. There were dozens of panels of tempered glass shower doors for pennies on the dollar. How hard would it be to paint the backside and attach them to the wall. And how would I cover seams? Any thoughts on this Rube Goldberg idea?

• lurkerlisa
    9 years ago

It is my understanding that tempered glass can't be cut, so unless the glass is the exact size that you need, it won't work.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

Straight walls kept us from doing this wonderful idea. I never did figure out how outlets were supposed to work though - I'd be afraid of pushing too hard and damaging the glass unless maybe it's thicker than I assume it would be.

By all means, go for it and remember to share pictures!

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

You need to have the outlets cut BEFORE the glass is tempered. Or move the outlets under the cabinets.
    I don't think you cover the seams.

Also search for glass "splashback" and lots of UK and Australian sites will pop up with instructions. Also plenty of youtube videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rImitt6RowI

Here is a link that might be useful: info on splashback

This post was edited by nosoccermom on Fri, Sep 19, 14 at 10:52

• bobbie2010
    9 years ago

I saw this a few weeks ago and Loved it. Sage Canyon glass backsplash. Looks like it has some texture to it. I tried to make the picture bigger with no luck. Here is the website
    http://www.coyoteglass.com/?wpsc-product=sage-canyon-kitchen-backsplash

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional