Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Show me your mixed metals!

Posted by gothaml (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 7, 14 at 7:36

We are going to have a stainless steel vent hood and an antique brass chandelier, but I am having trouble finding pictures of what it would look like. I would love to see photos of mixed metals in your kitchens.

Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Show me your mixed metals!

I don't consider SS appliances a 'metal' that needs consideration when decorating, nor would I if I had made the choice to use black or white appliances. In new homes a lot of nickel/faux nickel is used for hardware such as hinges/doorknobs, cabinet hardware, towel bars, and of course light fixtures. If you want to use a metal that has more of an old world/ antique look, consider the oiled rubbed bronze. It's what I chose, with most of the light fixtures being wrought iron, with the exception of chandeliers. The dark WI with dark ORB work well together with very little contrast, which was what I wanted. Yes, various metal can work well together, but if you're considering uniformity, keep them in the same 'color family'~silver, using nickel/ pewter/chrome, shiny brass which can be used nicely with aged brass, aged brass using orb/ rusted look, or black using wrought iron. I may have left out a few others found in the marketplace today, but these quickly come to mind since they're the most commonly used.

o

Here's an article that comes from Houzz. Hope it helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: metal finishes

o

If you look at kitchen photos on Houzz you will see a wide variety of mixed metals. You need to look at the photos and only concentrate on the metal finishes ... usually you look at the total picture and won't even notice that the metals match or don't match!!!! This is also a personal and taste specific detail, so you'll get different opinions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here