Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrs_wiggley

Your Guide to 15 Popular Kitchen Countertop Materials

mrs.wiggley
9 years ago

Saw this article and thought it might make a good resource for this forum. It includes cost info. Covered here are:
Soapstone
Granite
Copper
Engineered Quartz
Tile
Zinc
Recycled Paper Based
Plastic Laminate
Recycled Glass and Cement
Marble
Concrete
Wood

Here is a link that might be useful: Countertop Choices

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

I wish I could find my pictures of the "nearly indestructible" concrete countertops I restored. Why do these writers never interview a technician?

• chrisinsd
    9 years ago

The pricing is also wrong.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

Well, mrs.wiggley, I really appreciate the link. I have not read all the pros and cons, but even after I do, I'm the person who does independent research before I make decisions. As for pricing, we all know it can vary substantially depending on what part of the country you're in and who you buy from.

Thanks for posting; I really enjoyed the kitchen photos, too.

• Cloud Swift
    9 years ago

Well, the granite article content seems reasonably correct though not comprehensive. They do point out that granite counter tops aren't necessarily geological granite and they have good tips about being involved in the templating. They don't mention sealing and the variability on some stones needing it or not.

The first picture in the article looks like Azul Bahai, a stone that can etch and not a prototypical granite.

• mrs.wiggley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

tomatofreak - thanks for the kind words. Though I had anticipated a variety of responses to the content of the article based on experience, I didn't anticipate such a strong...even angry... negative response.

• chrisinsd
    9 years ago

Because I noted the pricing is generally off for many surfaces listed makes nothing about my response either "strong" or "angry".

Thanks for sharing the article as I'm sure some will find it quite useful. I had already read it.

• feisty68
    9 years ago

I think these kinds of articles are useful as a starting point. Töoöoö öböaödö ötöhöeöyö ödöiödönö'ötö öiönöcölöuödöeö ösötöaöiönölöeösösö.ö That [stainless] would be my first choice for countertop material, but I didn't win that one ;) .

This post was edited by feisty68 on Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 17:56

• karin_mt
    9 years ago

Feisty, the article does include stainless steel countertops. I share your affinity for them, even though I don't have them.

• feisty68
    9 years ago

Doh! Thanks for the correction karin_mt.

My neighbour is asking for my input on her kitchen. For counters she will probably go with stainless on perimeter and marble on the island. I think that is a terrific combo! Her range/dishwasher/sink will be along the perimeter and her island will be more for looking pretty, light prep work, gathering, and a buffet surface. They don't have children at home any more.

In our area (west coast Canada) it looks like stainless is about the same cost as quartz or granite based on her getting multiple quotes.

• Majra
    9 years ago

The article had nice things to say about recycled glass counters, which I have and love, but rarely see mentioned. Thanks for posting the link.

• musicteacher
    9 years ago

Great article, and the reader posts following each section were even more helpful. Thanks for sharing.