Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrs_wiggley

Vintage Soapstone question

mrs.wiggley
9 years ago

Hi,
I've been wanting to install some soapstone tabletops and countertops in both the kitchen and workshop. I spotted some old oak based lab tables for sale with the black soapstone tops and wondered whether they might work for a kitchen island. They are 70's vintage. I realize no soapstone is 'new' technically, but I wonder if these vintage lab tables were possibly harder, or sourced from a different place than the ones you can buy now?

Is there a difference between the type of soapstone used for labs and the kind you can get at a stone/granite type supplier or kitchen countertop store? Any advantages to buying the older tables...or disadvantages? They look to be in good condition and are around $300, soapstone top is about 2.5 x 6 feet.

I have similar questions about the old soapstone sinks.
Thanks

Comments (18)

• speaktodeek
    9 years ago

I'd think carefully about re-purposing lab tables into a food prep area. While soapstone is generally non-reactive, you have no idea what those lab counters may have had spilled on them over the years. The most concerning being any radioactive materials or toxins.

• mrs.wiggley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yikes! Hadn't thought of that. I have assumed they could be thoroughly cleaned. These were from a high school so I'm guessing there was no exposure to radio active materials.

• MizLizzie
    9 years ago

Wow. Sounds like a deal to me. I look forward to hearing some of the stone experts chime in on this one.

• mrs.wiggley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

lazygardens, thanks so much for chiming in. Your experience in labs is so helpful! I'll try to post some pictures and maybe that will answer some of the questions you asked. The top is a little over an inch thick.

• mrs.wiggley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are a few pictures of the lab table (if I've chosen the right links) -

This post was edited by mrs.wiggley on Thu, Jun 5, 14 at 9:22

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

mrs.wiggley:

I've refabricated stone many times. Your local fabricator may not be interested because he thinks he can't charge enough to make any money. With precut pieces, you've narrowed your ability to choose where seams are placed.

I'd offer them $50.00 a piece if they're asking $300.00.

• mrs.wiggley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Trebuchet
    That makes sense. I wouldn't have enough from these two table tops to do my countertops anyway though. So I'll probably use one as an island and the other in my workshop. That way it wouldn't need to be altered. And I can remove the top and put it on a new base if the oak frame doesn't work out for some reason.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

I love them, ESP the bottom pic that shows the veining! My DH wouldnt be happy but they'd be sitting in my basement! Will it work for your needs?

• lannegreene
    9 years ago

I would grab those tables up in a second. Do check that is isn't an epoxy counter, but even then it is a great quality work surface. I'm a lab worker too, I'd love to equip my kitchen with those!

• mrs.wiggley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the encouraging words! That makes me feel better about using them in this way. I do love the look of them and think one will make a great island.

• Fori
    9 years ago

I'd use 'em! The tables themselves are also quite shapely.

(I've worked in a lab too and we weren't that clean unless we were in the quarantine facility.)

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

My "lab counter that got away" was in an old (circa 1900) hospital lab. We had walls lined 1/4 grain oak cabinets, and a work counter of black granite with "snowflake" like inclusions and decades of polishing and patina.

It was truly steampunk, like 1930s mad science labs in movies.

When they tore down the old wing, we were assured that the countertops and cabinets would not be destroyed, they would be reused.

they were ... but the lab got crappy resin worktops and melamine cabinets and the board of directors meeting room got the granite as a conference table. And their offices got the cabinets.

We were one PO'd bunch of lab techs. I loved that counter.

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

I too, would buy those in a heartbeat...beautiful!

• mrs.wiggley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

lazygardens,
    Ugh. I can imagine how disappointed I would be too. Those kinds of finds are so rare and unique. Maybe you'll find another.

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

"ohhhhhhhhooooo," she moaned happily.

I'd jump on those so fast I'd look like a superhero landing on my knee with one hand on the ground, the other in the air. Ooooooooo.

The concerns about [ahem] toxins is as silly as the pallet hysteria. What lab tech would expose themselves to that crap? That's their JOB for Goodness sake. Research things, like you're doing here. Don't live in fear with anecdotal concerns. I'm kinda addressing all those who get a little info and run with it. I'm doing my floor out of HEAT TREATED (HT) pallets, but you'd think I was using something like DDT as hairspray.

If you are even remotely near the Washington, DC area, I'll drive for days to pick up what you don't take. The table part, too!!!!!

"I swear," she said, holding up the Brownie swear fingers.

O, these are lovely.

• Fori
    9 years ago

However...

I might be concerned about any old sealers or whatever not being food safe. But then I tend to be amazed by the sealers many people put on their stone countertops anyway.

Lab techs (in the past) have been exposed to all sorts of nasty things. Depending on the age of the tables, they could have been in all kinds of stuff we didn't know was toxic at the time. Being from a high school makes them pretty much safe, though.

I don't doubt that I've had classes at desks once soaked in DDT and DDE; I'd pass on lab tables from the tox department at an agricultural college. But high school is just a little gum on the back. No problem.

• florida_joshua
    9 years ago

Looks like it's not soapstone. To me they look like a man made product.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz