Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alice462

Blue cabinets........cold feet, help!

alice462
15 years ago

OK -- anxiety setting in......as some of you know, I have a "historic" colonial home. In designing our new kitchen, I have had my heart set on painted cabinets - a beautiful "colonial" blue. (a very soft, blue/gray really) I have samples of several colors on our current cabinets and am panicking a bit about being surrounded by blue.

I look at the pictures of colonial homes with painted woodwork everywhere and just LOVE them, but am worried that I might tire of this in my own kitchen. From the outset, I did not think I wanted stained wood.....now, I don't know. This remodel needs to last us for the rest of the time we will be in the house -- 30-40 more years, I hope!

I shared w/DH last night the thought of mixing paint and stain to break things up a bit - not his favorite idea so far. He would have it all be white/white/white.....not for me.

Our kitchen will be 16X22; soapstone counters; island - current plan is to stain/paint/distress this in a dark finish to look like old piece of furniture; island will also have different material for top - not sure what yet. Floors are going to be re-claimed granary oak - dark with nail holes and knots and some variation in color. Will have lots of natural light and have shrunk the number of uppers to accomodate larger windows on two walls. 9' ceilings with cabinetry going to the ceiling. Want a simple raised panel, inset door with slab front drawers.

OK - will try to explain layout - West wall is sink wall - 12' of cabinets w/only 2 uppers there, triple window over sink; apron front sink. North wall - 7' of cabinets will include double wall ovens anchoring east end, baking center next to wall ovens under a window, super susan in corner. East wall is the "interior wall" - 10' of cabinets that will include frig at one end/freezer at the other, prep sink and counter space in between w/upper cabinets here. There are openings into other spaces at each end of this wall. South wall is "pantry wall" - another 7' of cabinets that will include cabinets to ceiling for 4' along that wall then another window over a base cabinet. If you were walking west through our kitchen with this wall on your left, you would walk into our new eating area that will be an 8X11 "extension" surrounded on 3 sides by windows.

I think I am satisfied with the overall design/layout, but am really worried that I might tire of "blue" over time.....I searched FKB for blue cabinets - "0" - that got me even more anxious, can't find any examples of this color scheme -- have I lost my mind to go down this road??

Comments (68)

• cooksnsews
    15 years ago

Alice462, I'm also planning blue cabinets, and my preferred tint sounds exactly like yours. (DH thinks it sounds ghastly but has wisely decided to butt out of the decision process because he can't/won't cook so the kitchen is my domain!)

Also like you, I've had difficulty finding any pics of blue kitchens in contemporary publications or websites. This doesn't bother me - I guess I won't be following any trends on this one. I work a lot with colour in my day job, so I think I have a workable plan for coordinating features. I'm going with natural maple countertops, a tiled floor in terra cotta, and the backsplash will be a slightly deeper peachy tone. Orange and blue are complementary colours, located across from each other on the colour wheel, and should work well together to produce a warm ambiance. Blue and white would tend to look a bit stark and rather cold. I steered off stained wood cabinets early on in the design process because I didn't want a hodge-podge of various wood species and colours throughout my house. Besides the wooden counters, I have mahogany stained table and chairs, hardwood floors and much wood furniture in adjoining rooms. Blue goes with everything (and I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so)!

• sautesmom Sacramento
    15 years ago

I'm sorry, but I can't imagine ANY design/color that I would continue to be happy with for 30-40 years!

I say go with the blue and start putting a little money every month into a kitchen savings account. If you DON'T get tired of the kitchen, you can go on a nice cruise in 20 years. If you are tired of it by then, then you can use the savings to get a new kitchen!

Carla in Sac

• rosie
    15 years ago

How do the lower 2 of the 3 photos posted by Joanie strike you? I love blue too but tend to OD if I'm not careful, so bringing it in strongly but limited in area covered would be the way I'd go. Maybe the lower perimeter cabinets, or ?

And for earthy, I'd use an old-paint soft muted blue. I once saw and fell in love with an old mantle painted in a soft deepish blue which was backed by a pale creamy-yellow wallpaper with a delicate blue design on it, so I was really surprised when the owner told me the two colors were actually gray and cream; it was playing them off each other that accentuated their recessive characters. Fabulous with their old cherry table, paintings, and blue transferware.

In any case, from what you say, it relly doesn't sound like wood stain is the way to go. If you've never really loved it, how could that be a good choice for your "finish for life?"

• missstaceyh
    15 years ago

The most stunning cabinets I've ever seen were at our(2007?)Homearama in Louisville, KY. As soon as I saw them I was blown away. They were a beautiful robin's egg blue/grey shade and I believe they won best of show. I tried to find a picture of them on-line and had no luck. I can't remember for sure but they may have been done by a local cabinet shop here in Bardstown, Mike's Woodworking or Chris's Custom Cabinets. Mike's did not have a website but maybe you could contact them(Google) and see if they were the one's who did those. They may have pics. Seriously- jaw dropping! Too much of a commitment for me but I LOVED them. It's hard enough to get my DH to change our couch every 10 years-I'm not joking!!!

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

hi alice,

while planning for our renovation I spent hours poring over books and magazines and one in particular I loved is:
    Creating a New Old House: Yesterday's Character for Today's Home

While not strictly a kitchen book, there are a several kitchen pictures and many houses with stained woodwork and others with painted woodwork. Perhaps you could find this book at the library or buy a copy from amazon.

Also, re: Crownpoint cabinets. I got my cabinets from them and was very pleased with how the whole process went. I got quotes from 8 different cabinet companies and they ended up being the least expensive (although this was due to a discount they gave me to sign on quickly... it was winter and perhaps they weren't too busy??). I worked with Mark Wirta, he was very nice and easy to work with and came down to my house to measure which gave me some peace of mind.

good luck.

I am posting a link to that book from amazon.

Here is a link that might be useful: New old house book

• alice462
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mamdadpaige - I had to giggle, I have this book - with a post-it on page 107! Although that color is more green than I want, the overall feel of the photo is what I am trying to accomplish. I have also found helpful a book by Frank Shirley - New Rooms for Old Houses as well as ordering back issues of Old House Interiors. Now I really need to go through the pages that I have and pay close attention to what drew me to the photo in the first place - as I go back and review, I find that it can often be a small detail in the picture that caught my eye. I am calling Crown Point! The one photo that both my DH and I like is from their web site:
    http://www.crown-point.com/styles/ea/EAkit2.html

We both are OK with the color - really like the milk paint look. Glass fronted cabs on sink wall (I really like the little "undershelf" on these); our floor color is pretty close to the dark chairs; island rather than table and not white appliances - but it gets me closer. Also, the black kitchen in this Early American gallery is striking!

hollyh - thank you! The David T. White web site is fabulous! If I got to be the only one voting in this process that is the look I would go for. My DH doesn't find it as appealing. Mixing finishes is going to be a hard one for him to get to. If he had his druthers - it would be white on white on white, so, we are gently working our way toward color and contrast. I do like looking at how they blend the "old" look with new stainless appliances - it is nicely done.

rosie - I do like the lower 2 photos - a softer/grayer blue and I am in there. They both show wood, and blue and stainless and that is helpful.

coosnsews - I wish that I had better "color sense". I really have to work through trial and error and will be on a first name basis with the guys at the paint store before we are done. I literally was asking for a "drop" of blue in my most recent mix. Now have three colors on the cabinets to play with and am sure will have more.

missstaceyh - thank you - I will see if I can track these down.

Thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone willing to take the time to respond. Sometimes it just helps to hear from others that I am not crazy!

• hollylh
    15 years ago

here is one more site to make you drool...i feel like i am always recommending it! very very "mixed" look so it might not be your bag (or your DH's) but good for ideas. and lots of color!

Here is a link that might be useful: moore and bradfield

• nymommy
    15 years ago

I remembered seeing a blue kithen somewhere also. This one just has a blue island which is very pretty.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• lascatx
    15 years ago

I thought I'd already posted. I did a tall wall of blue cabinets in my kitchen. It's somewhat like the wall with the ovens above, but my stainless if the fridge and the cabs are my pantry and utility, so no glass. The blue is a llittle deeper than the ones above look -- someone called it blueberry, but it is a soft, slightly muted shade. The island in front of it is cherry and the perimeter cabs are white.

I have always loved white kitchens, but we had talked about going cherry when we redid this one. We already had a brown leather sectional in the adjoining family room, and I didn't want a grand hall of brown. I love that I got my cherry without it taking over. Same for the blue. I still have a white kitchen, but it has some color, some warmth from the wood, and it's just very comfortable for me.

I would think that an older home would lend itself to mixing finishes -- fitted or unfitted, even more easily than mine. I'd encourage you to look the idea more. If you're unsure, making the island a contrasting finish or color is the safest bet.

• fuster0311
    15 years ago

I am in the process of finishing a kitchen in the style you describe. I think it will be a tough sell for your husband.

Take a look. It shows one side of the kitchen.

Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: David T Smith Kitchen

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

I too would mix it up a bit. Go with different colors--natural wood, white and blue. Colonial houses/kitchens would have aquired different cabs/furnature for their kitchens at different times. Mixing it up a bit won't be so monotoned that you would get tired of it as fast as if it was all blue.

You could even do blue on the bottom and creamy white on the uppers. It would help to give your eye a break, appease the husband, and I think look very pretty. Hopefully, only having the creamy white on the uppers would also help with the finger prints too.

• alice462
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you everyone - it us so helpful to get your feedback and often a "fresh" look at what I am getting myopic about. As we have not even begun reno. I am just going to sit with the finish piece for a while and pray that somehting perculates to the surface as I continue to lurk here.

• ricklish
    15 years ago

I hope your percolating is going well, I just thought I'd chime in since we went with the large blue continent (island) in our kitchen.

We really love it! It definitely took some time to get used to the idea during the design phase. I, too, was afraid that I'd get sick of the blue long before I could justify changing the island.

But, one thing I had done in our last kitchen helped me pull the trigger. I wanted blue tile for a backsplash and since I was too chicken to put up real tiles, I faux painted blue tiles. My DH teased me at the time that I wouldn't fool anyone. My reply was that I wasn't trying to fool anyone, I just didn't want to destroy the walls if I decided I hated the blue tiles and wanted to remove them. My faux blue tiles lived in our kitchen for ten years and I still loved them.

Blue just makes me happy. So for the remodel, once I got past the fear of choosing something so 'bold' I never looked back. Plus, I rationalized that the island could be re-painted if it was absolutely necessary.

In fact, a friend who was over for dinner just this weekend said she thought that the blue was sort of low-key, it doesn't scream at you. It fits.

So I guess what I'm saying is.. do what makes you happy!

P.S. I did have the last laugh over those blue faux tiles... 95% of the people who saw them thought they were real!! LOL

• alice462
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ricklish -

Thanks for the encouragement! I had tweeked a Ben Moore color until I finally got it "just right" -- tried it on my existing cabinets and love it! Then took a deep breath and called Crown Point -- had not done so previoulsy b/c I was VERY afraid of cost here, but NO luck anywhere else with style I want so...the sample that they sent me of "Slate" milk paint is ooohh sooo very close to the shade that I have created that I jumped for joy! I am currently waiting for quote on cabinetry, but the conversation that I had with the designer was the best so far.....she quickly understood what I am trying to do. We will see how the dollars stack up, but again thank you....the blue does indeed make me happy!

• astridh
    15 years ago

ricklish, I would love to see a picture of your blue island. We are putting a new kitchen in our Spanish-style house. I chose a cobalt blue Viking range and single wall oven. Cabinetry is alder, countertops are quartz in a golden beige, will have hand painted blue/ green/white/golden accent tiles on a white back splash. There will be some open cabinets to show off blue and white talavera pottery. I think I want to stain our island a subdued shade of cobalt, and I would love to see how yours looks! I am also debating what color the island top should be: white, golden, or wood (walnut?). This is the one decision I am having the most trouble making!

• astridh
    15 years ago

Okay, I'm an idiot. I found your blue island on your thread. It's not the blue I have in mind, but it looks terrific in your kitchen. I really like the wood top.

• missstaceyh
    15 years ago

Alice462- What did you decide to do? Did you go blue? I accidentally happened upon the pictures of the beautiful blue cabinets I previously wrote about. If you are still interested, go to www.homearama.com next go to Photo Gallery It is at the bottom-House #6 Lancaster Built Homes
    I don't feel right about posting the pics since they are not my cabinets. Let me know what you think. In person, they were absolutely stunning!
    The other homes are pretty nice too!

• decodilly
    15 years ago

Here is a link to a kitchen to one of my favorite kitchens that uses yellow, and blue cabinets with a red range and awesome colonial blue and white tile.

Here is a link that might be useful: redranges kitchen

• amck2
    15 years ago

I'm late to this party as we've been away. But I wanted to say that I empathize with your fear of going with a color on your cabinets. They're such a big investment, and a good refinishing job takes time, effort and a disruption of the space.

I went with a blue island in my new kitchen and am so glad I did. I'm generally very conservative, and this was a daring move to make on the focal point of my kitchen. It's also in an open concept space and I was concerned about forever having to match everything up to the blue.

I have white perimeter cabs and soapstone counter & island tops. I fell in love with the blue I chose when I saw it on cabs in a showroom. The color doesn't translate well in the pics I have posted on the FKB, but it is a stain called "Denim" and is a warm, muted-toned blue (it almost reads periwinkle on the pics..) That's what makes it work for me. I think seeing the wood grain through the stain takes away the shout of the color and it blends in better with the surrounding furnishings, but still gives a personalized touch to the kitchen area.

I was a real chicken when it came to pulling the trigger. I have no regrets and love that my kitchen isn't like everyone else's. I wish you luck - your plan sounds beautiful!

• terryskit
    15 years ago

I was searching the forums for ideas on blue cabinets and couldn't believe it when I read this thread....almost everything Alice described is what I want in my kitchen! I'm very curious if you made your cabinet color choice and if you would be willing to share (any photos?). I'm trying to decide between a semi-transparent stain and paint, and whether to do some distressing of the edges and a glaze over the paint for a more "antique" look (like old furniture that has the paint peeling). We will have a stained wood island and the blue cabinets along the wall, with glass in the uppers to break up the color a bit. I'm very new at this "color thing" because we have a log cabin and EVRRYTHING is wood...this is my first chance to put some color into the walls, so any advice is welcomed! (I also need to choose a color for my BlueStar range..any ideas?)

• edlakin
    15 years ago

we did green painted cabinets with distressing and glaze on our perimeter and cherry stained cabinets for our island.

the cabinet company we worked with did not offer custom paint colors and of the two greens they had, one was a bit darker than we wanted and the other was too light. we went with the darker one and attempted to lighten it up a bit by utilizing sand-through to expose the wood underneath, using a lighter glaze, and lighter elements like our tan countertop and the glass cabinet hardware.

i think it worked out well. we're happy with the look. we also have an old home--a 1904 victorian, and we really wanted something that would fit the character of the home.

hope this helps. good luck everyone, with your projects.

• alice462
    Original Author
    15 years ago

terryskit - we have not made final cabinet color choice yet. The cabinetmaker is willing to experiment with brushing on milk paint. Although he indicated that the first try with mixing a blue color with milk paint was "shocking"......so he will continue to play with it and we will see where it takes us. My goal is a very soft color that is probably more grey than blue, but it is only in my mind -- I have not come across the exact chip yet. Good luck and go fot it -- I think painted/stained cabinets in what you are describing would look fantastic!

• amysrq
    15 years ago

Alice, have you looked at Farrow & Ball paints? Their color Light Blue could be what you're looking for. You can order a sample pot and also have the paint shipped if you don't live near a store. It's one of my favorite colors.

• terryskit
    15 years ago

edlakin:
    Thanks for the beautiful pictures! I looked for you in the FKB, but no luck.. Would you mind posting photos of your island? I love your color palette...the terra cotta floor looks great with your cabinets. Would you mind sharing what glaze you used and what kind of paint? Love your BlueStar, too! Are you happy with the SS finish in your old home? (Something I'm still trying to decide about, trying to stay away from a "cold" blue look, wanting a warmer, cozy feel in the kitchen.)

alice462...Good luck with your search for the right color. I'm right there with you! One paint dealer I spoke with discouraged me from the milk paint, saying it looks very flat and dull on the wood. I'm torn between wanting to see some wood grain come through the paint (hence a stain) vs. the richness of color as in edlakin's photos.

amysrq: I looked at the F&B website. Beautiful colors! Are they much more expensive than standard paints? Do you order online? (There are no dealers near me.)

Thanks for all the advice!

Terry

• erikanh
    15 years ago

I just posted this link in another thread, and thought terryskit might like to see this blue kitchen by Crown Point. The color is called Mountain Mist.

Here is a link that might be useful: Country Living House of the Year 2005

• budge1
    15 years ago

I love the idea of the grey/blue and agree with others to look at farrow and ball's colours.

Another option so that you don't feel surrounded by blue, is to do the lowers the blue and the upper cabs a white or cream colour. Or even stain the uppers.

• edlakin
    15 years ago

hi terryskit,

thanks! i haven't posted pics to the FKB yet. we're still finalizing a couple little finish details and i haven't taken the 'vanity shots' yet.

i don't know the paint color. we bought our cabinets from shiloh and they had only two greens to choose from. we chose the darker one. the glaze is pewter.

thanks for the comment about the floor. we really tried hard to think about how all the elements would work together and knew that with the green cabs and the SS appliances, we'd have to warm things up a bit with the floor. would've gone with wood, but we have old oak in the front of the house and newer oak in the FR adjacent to the kitchen, so wanted to break up the two woods.

as far as SS in an older house, i figure it's somewhat unavoidable. it's not like white or black appliances will look any more vintage, and buying the "retro-style" stuff is ungodly expensive. my eye reads SS as neutral, so we just figured we'd try to push the vintage details elsewhere, like the sink, faucet, cabinet hardware, cabinets, ceiling, etc, etc...

here are a few more pics:

island:

island with green cabs behind:

long shot:

• erikanh
    15 years ago

edlakin, I love your tin ceiling, soooo pretty. I wish I could figure out the best way to cover my ugly textured ceiling. My kitchen is open to my family room ... way too much ceiling for tin.

• edlakin
    15 years ago

thanks! we had some drywall damage on the ceiling as a result of a leaky shower above, and while researching, i figured out that doing a tin ceiling would be cheaper (and much less messy) than ripping out the old drywall and installing new stuff. so we made it one of the main design elements of the room. i also think it helps tie the SS appliances in.

the tin ceiling panels are really not very expensive and are quite easy to install right over existing ceilings.

• bayareafrancy
    15 years ago

I think painted cabinets are so much fun for an old home! I am currently painting my 80 year old cabs (plus wall of reproduction cabs) in "drab yellow." I agree with others who said paint can be changed, and also that changing paint can be incredibly hard work. While I think this is our "forever home" I don't expect this to be my forever color. In 8ish years I think I might change to a vintage drab green.

If you have the resources to hire painters, then hey, no big deal! We don't, so it will be hard work for me to paint them again. But oh well. I love painted cabinets.

However, if I were getting premium paintd cabs from a company like Crown Point, I think I'd be far less ready to paint them myself--or even let anyone paint them. My cabs are mostly original (and quite beat up), and my reproduction ones are pretty shoddy (done by a mediocre cabinet maker), so I've kind of got nothing to lose. I just can't imagine taking a brush to a Crown Point cabinet! So here is a case where, for me anyway, cheaper is better!

Here is my work in progress (these are the repro cabs, in sunlight, benjamin more satin impervo in barley):

Hey--you old house folks with the painted cabs! No fair not showing pictures! Eandl, I don't think I've seen your red cabs. Please show!

francy

• terryskit
    15 years ago

edlakin: WOW! You did a great job, from ceiling to floor. Thanks for sharing.

• erikanh
    15 years ago

francy, I ADORE your yellow cabinets. May I please see more of your kitchen?

• amysrq
    15 years ago

Terry, the F&B paints do cost more but are very high quality with a beautiful finish. It depends on what you consider "standard", either Ben Moore or Behr, IYKWIM. I have had them shipped to me when I did not live near a dealer. That was several years ago and I imagine the cost of shipping has gone up, along with everything else. Just remember, material costs are always a drop in the bucket relative to labor. Unless you are doing a budget DIY, the paint costs will be a small fraction of the overall costs.

• kitchendetective
    15 years ago

I recently had several shipments of F&B paint, 2 gallons at a time, for various projects. It was about $20 to $25 to ship 2 gallons the least expensive way offered. The paint ranged from $68 to $78/ gal.; however, I wasn't doing cabinets and I'm not sure which formulation one uses for that. (OTOH, compared to boat paint, some of which is $150/gal. plus shipping, the F&B doesn't look so bad.) The closest dealer is 90 or so miles away. Fuel, travel time, etc. Great paint, no odor, a pleasure to use. FPE would have been more, but might be a better way to go for cabinets.

• bayareafrancy
    15 years ago

erikanh: Thank you! Alas, there isn't much more to see. I'm in the middle of painting them myself. But here are a few shots of the rest of my little kitchen. It is a looooong way from done!

The main run:

Other cabs:

Across from that:

And that's the whole shebang! Not even room for a fridge (it's in the garage)!

OK--sorry to hijack! To the OP: It has been a while since the original post. Have you made any decisions on paint???

francy

• terryskit
    15 years ago

kitchendetective: What is FPE paint? (I am a complete novice in the world of paint!) Why is it better? As much as I would love to have blue cabinets, there are days when just staining the wood and being done with it seems awfully attractive!

• kitchendetective
    15 years ago

Fine Paints of Europe. Pirula and Rococogurl have lots of experience with this paint. rmkitchen has used their products. Many consider it the finest paint for finish and durability. Christopher Peacock's new line of paints is made by this company, too. You could look in the Paint forum here and on Atticmag.us for more info, not to mention calling them directly. amysrq probably knows all about them. From personal experience, I can tell you that they are great about email and phone questions.

Here is a link that might be useful: FPE

• kubakat
    15 years ago

I say go for it! I love my blue kitchen, it is at our beach house and I wish my cabinets at home were blue! It is really a warm and inviting room.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• kitchendetective
    15 years ago

Someone posted her or his kitchen a couple of months ago. The island was a pale blue and there were beautiful marble counter tops. The applied edge was done beautifully so that it just looked like a thick, eased edge slab. The pulls were very simple--probably brushed stainless. Does anyone remember who that was? I'm sorry to be so vague, but I remember thinking that I could live forever with a blue like that.

• alice462
    Original Author
    15 years ago

terry - I am getting closer as the cabinet maker arrives in 20 minutes and my assignment was to have a paint chip ready for him to work to match. I found SW Steely Gray #7664 that I think we will try out. Although I love the Crown Point kitchen posted by erikanh -- the color is too light for what we will be doing. I absolutely love Crown Point cabinets and talked with them about doing our kitchen -- out of our league pricewise, but we found a local cabinet maker who we are very happy with. I agree that the milk paint is a very "solid" look -- I think we will stain under it and distress through some. I like the "dull" look of milk paint as I really did not like any of the "factory finishes" that I saw on a vairety of cabinet companies. May even end up giving up on the milk paint, staining first and making a glaze with the SW color. It is a work in progress and we will just be experimenting as we go along to find the right mix. Will be brushing on paint.

I think I have my overall scheme -- blue/gray cabinets, again mostly base cabinets. Soapstone perimeter counters. 10x4 island w/rangetop we will look for a "white" granite -- considering Kashir White, Andromeda and Bianco Romano. Am going to find the soapstone slab first and then choose a granite that is complementary. Island will be stained in medium to dark with legs, etc. for more furniture look. Flooring will be reclaimed granary oak stained to match adjacent family room -- almost walnut in color. Will have stainless appliances -- but am choosing frig/freezer that will accept cabinet panel should we choose to go that route. Dacor rangetop in stainless. Double ovens in stainless. Dishwasher will have panel. Wall color will be Pratt & Lambert Chalk Grey #2275. Trim BM White Dove.

At least that is the plan this morning.........

• budge1
    15 years ago

Sounds like it is going to be lovely. Keep us posted.

• eandhl
    15 years ago

Francy, just for you. I have held up posting any pictures of our work in progress. I hope it works.
    One more coat of paint. Backsplash is on primed. There is nothing pink about them, really dark red.

{{!gwi}}

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

*sidles in before Francy can say anything*

YOWZA! Now THOSE are cabinets to die for! That's an astoundingly beautiful job, Eandhl. The floor! The soapstone!

*swoon*

• trailrunner
    15 years ago

OH holly I love it . The red looks wonderful. And that soapstone has beautiful veining. I look forward to more pics. What are you doing outside ? c

• eandhl
    15 years ago

Carolyn, remember we have a stone BBQ outside? We are going to do an L shaped patio. We are doing the stone wall first. DH is digging the stones on property.

• trailrunner
    15 years ago

Good lord ! What a HUGE job. You guys are amazing. I can hardly wait to see the completed patio . It will be beautiful. c

• alice462
    Original Author
    15 years ago

eandhl -- WOW, WOW, WOW -- if we were only brave enough to do red --- your kitchen is just WOW! Love it! And cannot wait to see the exterior. Are you married to He-Man -- how in the world to you manage those stones??!! Can't wait to see the patio, your kitchen is fantastic!

• eandhl
    15 years ago

The two really big ones in the wall a machine moved. The rest he digs around and tilts into a low profile wheel barrel. We have a stone wall builder doing the puzzle of putting 99% of them together. (he lets us put in a few) But he wants the stone right there to look over.
    As for the red it wasn't what I envisioned when we started but it seemed to fit as the project evolved.

• bayareafrancy
    15 years ago

Wow! (I posted on the other thread, but I'll add a 'wow' here too!)

Red plus soapstone is just an amazing color combo! And I love the style of those cabs. This is almost inspiring me to get back to painting my own kitchen. Almost! Almost! Maybe next week....

I love red!

:-)

francy

• eandhl
    15 years ago

I really wanted as old fashion as I could get. All the doors in the house are similar with bent nails.