Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Powder Coated Island Range Hood?

Posted by sreedesq (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 18, 13 at 7:12

I am going to purchase an Imperial Island Range Hood (Model IS2000) during my kitchen remodel. I will have black granite counters and stainless appliances mixed with some black accents (wall oven and cooktop) and a solid stainless fridge and dishwasher. The stainless that Imperial offers is high grade 304 and I have no doubt that it would look nice; but, I am leaning toward choosing the option to powder coat the stainless in black. I think it would disappear more into the kitchen while also providing balance with the counters. Has anyone one purchased, seen, or cleaned one of these range hood? If so, what are your thoughts? TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Powder Coated Island Range Hood?

I am thinking of powder coating my range hood as well. It is an XO and I like everything about it except the stainless finish because it is so dull looking.

o

Black objects have a lot of visual weight, and putting one overhead can be very in your face. I think you should spray paint a cardboard box black and hang it overhead before you go down that path. I think it will loom more and be much more closing in than the reflective stainless. Unless you also paint your ceiling black so that the hood disappears against it. That could work, but would need much more attention to the lighting plan with additional lighting added.

o

Live, I really appreciate your thoughts. Due to placement, the hood will block part of a large bay window that is the only window in the kitchen when one is entering the kitchen from the great room and hallway. Sink is in front of window and cooktop is behind sink in island with hood overhead. There are six very large recessed lights, 3 undercabinet lights, and one over sink light in addition to the halogen lighting the hood will provide. Since there is open sight from the kitchen to great room and dining room, I wouldn't paint the ceiling black. I too, worry about the visual impact of a hood; but, at this stage I'm not sure which would look the best black or stainless. I will try the black cardboard. I hope someone else here has experience with a large island hood in front of a window or powder coating in general! Thanks again.

o

Arlosmom had a range hood cover crafted and powdercoated for her smashing period kitchen.

Cheeers.

Here is a link that might be useful: arlosmom's kitchen

o

Thanks! I think the hood and her kitchen look great!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here