Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zackin

Walnut kitchen reveal

zackin
10 years ago

With my great thanks to all of GW for guidance through the process, I'm posting photos of my mostly finished kitchen. The remodeling involved removing a wall, creating a pantry where the entrance to the dining room was and replacing everything else in the kitchen except exterior walls, doors and windows.

First, the details:

Sink: Houzer 33" single bowl undermount MGS-3018 Medallion Lustrous Satin, 9" depth, 18 guage

Faucet: Cifial 221.145.625 Techno Kitchen Faucet with Pull-Out Spray, Polished Chrome

Soap Dispenser: Graff G-9923

Cup pulls (bottom cabinets): Jamison Collection P80846 Subtle Modern Zinc Cup Pull 96mm center

Knobs: Amerock BP55270-G10 Blackrock Collection Standard 1.33-Inch Diameter Round Knob, Satin Nickel

Induction Cooktop: Bosch 500 IT5065UC

Ovens: 2 single wall ovens, Electrolux Wave Touch EW30EW55GS

Refrigerator: Electrolux French Door EW30EW55GS

Micro/Convection Oven: countertop model Sharp R930CS

Range Hood: Kobe undercabinet RA2830SB

Disposer: InSinkErator Evolution Pro Essential 3/4 HP

Cabinets: Adelphi frameless, full overlay, natural walnut

Granite: Black Galaxy, reverse bevel edge

Floors: Select white oak, Minwax Special Walnut, oil based polyurethane top coat in satin finish

Paint: Linen White semi-gloss trim, Bone White eggshell walls

Wallpaper on exterior wall: grasscloth

Backsplash: 4" x 13" Evo Avorio field tile w/ 1" x 13" aluminum tile strip, pearl grout

Dishwasher: Kept existing Whirlpool

Laundry Room: Adelphi melamine cabinets, white
Ikea laundry sink 24"
Ikea brushed aluminum laminate
Faucet: kept existing
Paint: BM HC-93 Carrington Beige

Before: 80's almond with wood integrated pulls, typical cabinets with island

After:
First photo is Panarama, so somewhat distorted

Laundry room:

My favorite things:
walnut cabinets with drawers
peninsula instead of island
raised dishwasher - didn't realize how much easier this is to unload
open feeling after removing wall between kitchen and family room
one open shelf for everyday dishes and glasses

Thanks again to all who helped me.

Comments (29)

• homebuyer23
    10 years ago

Wow, it looks great! I love the walnut cabinets, and all the open bookshelves, it really flows with the open floorplan. Great job & enjoy it!

• doonie
    10 years ago

I love it! The warmth of your cabinetry is so inviting. Stunning job! Enjoy!

• ck_squared
    10 years ago

Very nicely done. Love your walnut cabinets.
    Where did you get your table and chairs? They are so cool! Enjoy your new spaces.

• zackin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ck: the table is from Room and Board. The chairs are Sanpan. I was able to get two of them from Overstock and the rest from Wayfair.com.

Here are a few more photos of insides of drawers:

Drawers:

Hard to show inside of pantry:

knife holder:

• trailrunner
    10 years ago

WOW! Love it all but especially the insides of the drawers. Great organization. Was it part of what the cab company offered ? The under the sink area is great too ! Enjoy ! c

• LoPay
    10 years ago

I love your cabinets.

I have almond laminate with oak pulls that you had, and am seriously considering walnut for the renno. How worried were you going darker? I've lived with mine for 22 years, so it will be a big change. I'm also obsessing about the grain orientation, so why did you end up going vertical?

• bpath
    10 years ago

Three kitchen reveals on a Sunday morning, I'm in heaven. Love your walnut cabinets, the twin ovens under the peninsula...how great for pulling warm platters and bowls out, right to the counter for serving...raised dishwasher, great idea, the walnut-and-glass door is classic, I think it's my favorite feature! And THEN you show us the insides, be still my heart! You have terrific organization! The undersink, the rail to hang spritzers from? Love it! The wave-like drawer organizer is perfect, what a great idea.

The space looks like it's be cozy on a winter's day, and cool and comfortable in summer's heat. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

• justmakeit
    10 years ago

What a warm and inviting space! Maybe it's the gorgeous grain of the walnut, or the clean-lined fittings, but I'm picking up a mid-century modern vibe that is very appealing. Although you couldn't get a photo of the whole pantry at once, the snippets make it seem incredibly functional -- plus you get to have a totally cool pantry door.

I'd love to see a general daytime photo, just to see how the natural light plays in the room. Wonderful kitchen!

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Wow! What a lovely kitchen. I think your floor is absolutely gorgeous with the cabs.

Your Kobe hood looks wonderful. It just fits there so well and I love the very low profile that it has.

Fabulous side by side wave ovens. I wish I had gone with two singles rather than a double. That was a wise decision on your part.

What a sweet four legged friend you have.

Enjoy your beautiful kitchen!

• whistle_gw
    10 years ago

Kitchen's great, but may I have the dog?? :)))

• zackin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Whistle, the dog is the sweetest ever! He's a shelter dog who became the center of our empty nest. He was such a trooper through all of the construction, and he didn't complain when I moved his food and water dishes from their usual spot to under the laundry room sink.

Now he has a special place with a memory foam bed under the kitchen desk. That's where he goes when we eat.

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

I just LOVE your kitchen! Great looking and loads of wonderful organizational touches!

(Especially love the sweet doggie!!!)

• function_first
    10 years ago

Gorgeous kitchen! Love, love, love the walnut cabinets, they are perfect for the style of your home. I also love the organization you've done and the pantry, a dream kitchen in every sense! Congrats!

• islanddevil
    10 years ago

Beautiful! I too would love to see your kitchen in daylight. Would you consider posting more pictures?

Can you post a closer picture of your backsplash? It's too far away to really see it.
    Also your hood. Is that metal strip along the bottom of the hood a cool detail you added or the hood itself?

Great layout. Did you change it much from the original? You mention the before, but there I no before picture.

The peninsula looks perfect; is their seating?
    I like how the far wall of your family room looks from the kitchen. Can't tell; is it brick or tile?

Thanks for sharing the LR too. My tiny one needs an overhaul. Normally I wouldn't care what my LR looks like except we have to walk thru it to come in from the garage which is our everyday path. I like your LR countertops. Is the sink integrated? The little table that looks like it slides under the counter, is that also Ikea? Very handy.

Oh yeah, and your kitchen and chairs are perfect. Were the chairs something you planned on in advance or just stumble upon on Overstocks and Wayfair? I never have much luck finding anything on those sites and I love those chairs! Are the stools also Sunpan?

Curious, did you try the chairs out first for comfort or just go for it. Lots of people seem to find great furniture deals online, but I'm always afraid to do so unless I've tried them first.

Thanks for sharing.

This post was edited by island on Sun, Jun 9, 13 at 14:51

• zackin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, such nice comments, it feels so good to have this kitchen mostly done.

Island:
    I'll try to take some more photos in the daylight today, including the backsplash.

The stainless steel strip on the hood is part of the Kobe hood itself. I looked for the most streamlined under-cabinet hood I could find.

The layout did change from the original. We had an island where the kitchen table is now. The island had a Jenn-Air cooktop. The sink was against the wall where all the cabinets are now. I found that the space was too crowded with the island and I was always getting the floor between the cooktop and the sink messy by dropping and dripping there. So, we basically put most cabinets on the one wall with sink and cooktop close together.

We love the peninsula. There are stools on the family room side for sitting at the peninsula, but we use it more for working and displaying and general stuff accummulation.

The fireplace wall in the family room is brick.

The counters and sink in the laundry room are from Ikea (but cabinets are not). The sink is very neat, with a built-in washboard in the front. I'm in love with the laundry room laminate counter from Ikea. It has a stainless look edge and a brushed aluminum-look top. Very sleek and easy. Sometimes I wish I had gone with this laminate in the kitchen, but I also love the black galaxy granite we have.

As for the chairs, I searched and searched everywhere for chairs with low backs, so as not to prevent me from easily using the kitchen table as prep space. I also wanted something that would work with the stainless in the kitchen and not add too much more wood. I saw these chairs in a Houzz photo, and searched them down until I found them. Then, I took a leap of faith and ordered them online without seeing them in person.

Gotta run now. I'll take some more photos and post later today.

thanks everyone.

• zackin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

More photos to show the daylight (although it's late afternoon), backsplash and puppy's place.

Backsplash behind computer desk has sheet metal underneath wallpaper, so magnets stick

Laundry sink from Ikea:

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea sink in laundry room

• Linda
    10 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful! But your furbaby is my favorite part!

• ginny20
    10 years ago

Just lovely! Especially love the walnut cabs with that sleek undercab hood. Great storage ideas - esp under sink. Jealous of your laundry room. Great job, congratulations!

• michoumonster
    10 years ago

wowza! so sleek and sophisticated yet warm. love your walnut. love the doggie food area too. where did you get the laundry shelf? i like the rod hanging from it, such a great idea for hanging wet things.

• zackin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Michoumonster,

I ordered the laundry room shelf from Build.com.
    It's Deltana ZA2024

It's actually made for a bathroom, to hold towels, as in a hotel. I'm very happy with the quality. It's solid and sturdy and just fits the 24" space above the sink.
    I've attached a link

Here is a link that might be useful: Laundry Room shelf

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Wow! Catching up from a busy weekend and definitely wanted to see on the computer vs iphone. Love your new kitchen - I especially love all of your dividers - I was reading about them above!!
    Tricky idea with the sheet metal for magnets. And of course, all of the amenities for your puppy - I think I know who really owns this kitchen :-)

On kitchen notes - besides the obvious - love how you pulled your backsplash together and how it connects with the kitchen cabinets - I have to go back and take a better look at your beautiful table as well.

Congratulations!!

• zackin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

To Island,
    I forgot to answer a couple of your questions:

"The little table that looks like it slides under the counter, is that also Ikea? Very handy."

That table is a console table from an unfinished furniture store. I covered it with padding and topped with heat resistant fabric to make it into an ironing board. I slide it under the counter until I'm ready to iron and then slide it out toward the dryer. It's perfect for most things I iron (which is not that much), but I also have a little tabletop ironing board to put on top, when I have something that needs a tapered end.

You also asked about the stools. I don't know who makes them, but they're a perfect match for the chairs and very, very sturdy. They are counter height.
    Here's a link: http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Chrome-Single-ring-25-inch-Backless-Counter-Swivel-Stool-with-Black-Vinyl-Cushion-Seat/4321456/product.html

Thanks again to all for the kind comments.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stools

• Gooster
    10 years ago

Congratulations on your new kitchen. I really love the walnut color and all the organization ideas you have implemented, especially under the sink and with the utensil drawer. And, I love the furbaby and the special feeding station.

• kaysd
    10 years ago

What a great space! I love those walnut cabinets -- inside and out. The table and chairs are also very cool. Those drawer pulls might work in my master bath.

• sanjuangirl
    10 years ago

The walnut is lovely and your kitchen has a great vibe! Congratulations on being completed. Wishing you many happy meals in your new kitchen!

• islanddevil
    10 years ago

Thanks for the additional info and links. That little table would even be great just for folding. You're so clever!

• rogerc
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Beautiful kitchen, zackin! Your materials are similar to those we're using in our ongoing remodel... walnut in a very light natural stain, stainless appliances and trim, granite countertops.

After waiting 11 weeks for our solid walnut custom pantry door to arrive, we just uncrated it to find the manufacturer had bored and hinged it on the wrong side. I double-checked the order and sure enough, our order was clearly for an out-swinging door that opens on the left. We received an in-swinging door that opens on the right. Won't work with our design, so it's going back.

You would think any millworker that makes such a blatant error would be anxious to make things right by offering to expedite a replacement door, right? Nope. When we pressed the issue all we got was "it will be 11 weeks". Obviously, we're not reordering.

So now we're back to looking for quotes again. If you don't mind, can I ask where you got your pantry door? As you can see, it's almost exactly what we've been waiting for. We ordered ours with frosted glass and unstained, so our cabinet maker could match to the custom cabinets he's making.

• zackin
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hello Rogerc, I'm sorry about your unhappy door experience. The door you were supposed to get looks very much like ours. I'm not entirely sure where ours came from, because the general contractor ordered it. I believe it's a Simpson door and that it came in natural. Our GC stained it to match the cabinets.

Best of luck. I'm sure you'll find a good replacement. Simpson Doors