Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 6:33

Before

photo image_zpsdc2c1649.jpg
 photo image_zps3a94bf6d.jpg

After
 photo 01-R80_2455_zpsc47a0afc.jpg
 photo 02-R80_2458_zps307ca497.jpg

Details

Schuler cabinetry, Manhattan door style. Colors are Divinity for uppers and Eage Rock Sable Glaze for lowers.
Curava recycled glass countertop in color Savaii, waterfall edge on peninsula
Walker Zanger wall tile, style Waterfall
Bosch dual-fuel slide-in range
Bosch over-the-stove microwave
Bosch dishwasher
Samsung counter-depth French door fridge
Kraus sink
Delta faucet
GE reverse-osmosis system (drives me crazy that its chrome)
Amerock cabinet pulls
Allen & Roth pendants, right off the shelf at Lowe's
Lowe's one-light door to pantry

Our home has an open floor plan, and the kitchen was the last corner to get a make-over. We did not change the layout or footprint of the kitchen because we have lived here for a decade and it works for me. I also love having a peninsula.

The house is not large (2300 sf) so it was vital that the kitchen flow with the rest of the "rooms" (DR, LR, FR). These next wide-angle shots show how the new kitchen integrates into the rest of the space. I was aiming for a soft, airy, tranquil, unique, modernized, tone-on-tone aesthetic.
 photo 03-R80_2444_zpsc19f7db6.jpg
 photo 04-R80_2441_zpsa12bc544.jpg
 photo 05-R80_2439_zps8e597fa3.jpg
 photo 06-R80_2427_zps5ce2b716.jpg
 photo 08-R80_2432_zpsc35fc22a.jpg

Random sink shot
 photo 10-R80_2436_zps11cc6f18.jpg

Thank you GWers who kept me company during the renovation!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Final Reveal - Majra's Two-Toned Kitchen

That is absolutely gorgeous! I really wanted that glass countertop But chickened out. I will add more comments When I see you on the big screen.
Zowie!!

o

I totally love the design and finishes. Your backsplash tile is the perfect compliment for the stone. Love the clean lines and great natural light. Just beautiful...enjoy!

o

So beautiful and understated. Completely matches your dog. You have great taste!

o

You certainly achieved what you were aiming for. Your new kitchen is beautiful. Love the way your two tone plays with the other areas. Countertops, tile, cabinets, floors, furniture, everything looks great.

Did you use your dog as your inspiration for you home decorating? :)
You should post a shot in the "does your dog match your kitchen thread

o

Thank you a2gemini, remodelfla, youngdeb, and badgergal for your nice comments! And yes, my dog Jamie appears in the kitchen/dog matching thread! I never noticed that he matched the house until someone pointed it out in my progress thread. Lol.

o

Fabulous! Congratulations! Going all the way up with the backsplash, and all the way down with the waterfall counter was brilliant. Love the balance of light/dark and textures. Even your teapot (shown more clearly in another thread) is super stylish!

o

Thank you kksmama! I got this tea pot for Mother's Day, to go in the new kitchen. It's called "The Loop" by Chantal.

o

I meant to also include this shot, which shows how we wrapped the window in tile. There is literally no paint in my kitchen--only wall tile.

o

I think you've attained your design goals. It is very nice and soothing. Blends lovely with your sitting area. It's fun how everyone points out that "your dog matches your kitchen". I was thinking the same thing and remembered the fun thread on that same topic. Have many healthy and happy meals!!!

o

Love it! I remember seeing all of these elements posted together when you were trying to pick your backsplash. Everything went together so tranquilly with a cool modern vibe. You nailed it! Such a sweet doggie, the perfect finishing touch. Congratulations!

o

Majra--I love, love, love. this.

Question: Can you tell me the specific Walker Zanger color this is? I'm looking on their website, but not sure I'm looking at the right one? Thanks!

o

Many thanks enduring and sanjuangirl. Anne, the color of the tile is woodridge pearl. Glad you like it!

o

Stunning! The whole flow and feel of your house is beautiful.

o

That is absolutely beautiful! I love the two- toned look, especially with what you picked out. If I were doing a kitchen from scratch, would use the stained and white. Very nice.

o

Oh for crying out loud! The dog even matches! Stunning.
The epitome of well done.

o

Really nice and well done. I wish my current kitchen looked as good as ur 'before'

o

Beautiful. Serene and cool and the flow you wanted to achieve is exemplified by the tile and the waterfall....exquisite taste. c

o

Everything goes so well together - perfect harmony and easy on the eyes (love the doggie also). I love the two tone, it really looks great. Congrats!

o

Your kitchen is beautiful and I love your home as well!! looks great! :)

o

Your kitchen is beautiful and I love your home as well!! looks great! :)

o

Ditto on what others have written--you really achieved your goal, in spades!!!! It marries perfectly with the rest of the spaces view-able from the open kitchen. Love the look!

o

Thank you all so much for the wonderful praise! It makes me so glad I shared! :-)

o

Wow, love the whole space! The waterfall recycled glass counter is fabulous.

Plus, you can add your photo to "Does your kitchen match your dog thread"--bonus!

o

Incredibly beautiful...love everything about your space! I've never heard of Curava...how does it compare to Ice Stone and Vetrazzo?

o

Thanks for the message back Majra. In my ongoing search for the perfect backsplash tile I ran down to Walker Zanger at lunch to pick up some samples, including one of your woodridge pearl. Based on the sample, I would never have thought it had the variations that show in a completed backsplash--so it's really great to see reveal pics! I'm heading out on vacation tomorrow to our second home, tiles in tow. Hopefully one of these will work!

o

ps - also your floors are beautiful !

o

Good luck with your backsplashes, Anne! Joaniepoanie, I have never heard of those other two countertops you mentioned. I simply fell in love with the colors in the Curava sample and decided to go for it.

o

Thank you Jennifer! They are only a year old, so I was obsessively worried about them during the renovation. They only suffered a few minor dings that are totally fixable.

o

Such an interesting combination of tile and counter, as though the glass inclusions of the countered regrouped and reorganized themselves into the rectangles in the tile. The two couldn't work better together! I'm also really impressed at how the kitchen works with the rest of the house, echoing the clean lines of the living room chairs and the cool rectangle pendant over the dining table. This is a space I'd love to spend time in! Beautiful.

o

Thank you for the kind words, justmakeit. I am definitely a homebody, and having my space finished just makes the time spent here so pleasant. I don't need a large house, just a tidy and serene one!

o

Absolutely fantastic. Love the whole effect, especially the gorgeous waterfall glass counter. And your cabinetry is really lovely, particularly the beautiful stain on your lowers. Great job, congrats on your lovely new kitchen.

o

You did a really nice job. The whole space is very calming. Your art, furniture, the waterfall counter, backsplash, and even your white ceiling fan all convey an uncluttered serene space. Enjoy!

o

Wow! I am in LOVE with your entire space. The flow is just incredible. You really have a great eye and did a wonderful job! Enjoy.

o

Beautiful! Perfect harmony with the rest of your home! I love the style and the olors, well done!

o

Congratulations! I love the waterfall on the counter, and how the cabinets visually blend into the floor, grounding the whole space. The tone-on-tone look was beautifully extended throughout the space. Your use of varying pattern and texture keeps everything interesting. So many people are afraid of mixing pattern and texture, and your backsplash and counter show how it can work so well.

o

It's a beautiful space. I love how the kitchen flows with the living room. Great job!!!!

o

majra, congrats on a beautiful kitchen! it is amazing that you have no paint in your kitchen, only tile! i love how the space blends with your family room decor too. very sophisticated yet serene! cute dog too!

o

I like the before, but love the after! Great job in combining all the elements. It is beautiful.

o

You people are so kind! Thank you for all of the nice comments. And thank you taggie for encouraging me to do a reveal thread!

o

Wow!!!! Love this space! You did a beautiful job with all your choices. Everything blends together so well! Especially love the waterfall edge on the peninsula. And what a great seating area with the four white comfy chairs!
What stain did you use on your wood floor?

o

Your whole space is great and those floors are amazing. Countertops are interesting too! How are you liking your fridge and what model is it?

o

Absolutely beautiful!

o

This is a beautiful kitchen! You have such a great space to create in now. I love the backsplash, and the way you wrapped it around the window ledge. And I did a double take when I saw your sq ft - your open space looks so expansive yet intimate. Thank you for sharing!

o

That window wrap job is perfection!

I love the elephant ears (?) in the window.

o

Its GREAT! I love it! Job well done!

o

Congratulations! I love how the kitchen compliments all the other areas of your living/dining areas. You have great taste. The stained cabinets and floors are warm and inviting. I love the backsplash. Subtle, yet a moving pattern. You've pulled it all together beautifully. Enjoy!!!!

o

GREAT job. I think you achieved what you set out to do. It does flow well with the rest of the house and feels so harmonious and well...just down right ZEN. Adorable pooch too!

o

I've followed this journey and I just love where it took you. What a wonderful space, including the kitchen. So many wonderful elements, from the two-toned cabinets to the gorgeous counter to those great stools to the tiled-to-perfection-backsplash to those great, warm floors.

You so achieved your vision here. It flows beautifully and truly does that have modern, airy feel.

Congratulations! Thanks so much for sharing. I'm so curious to see if my own reveal ends up mirroring this one as so many things you have chosen are possibilities and top contenders for me.

o

I love it - it's just so gorgeous. All of it.

o

Beautiful!!! Great job!

o

love everything about it! congratulations on completion.

o

Thank you all so much. I'm out of town right now so I will post when time and wifi are available. It was hard to say goodbye to my new kitchen!

o

I love it!!!! Would you mind sharing the type of wood you selected for your cabinets? They are gorgeous.

o

Love it! I can't add anything except to say, that you all here (and this is a fabulous example) do such wonderful work, that you are turning me into a fan of the modern aesthetic -- I never was before!

o

A BOLD two-toned decision that WORKS! As I embark on designing my kitchen, your choice and finished results give me encouragement. I did a two-toned kitchen in my last place (a sort of of slightly muted orange and white) that I loved, and so did everyone else. So I, too, have been thinking of mixing white and wood, and seeing what you've done is giving me courage. Thank you for posting the photos!

o

To answer a few questions, the cabinets are maple.

The floors, while I don't remember the name of the stain, are basically one step lighter than ebony, with no red in the color. I really like true brown.

The fridge is Samsung's counter-depth French door model. It is very attractive and so far the storage seems adequate. I keep a relatively empty fridge, however, so it might be too small for some folks. I also have my old fridge in the garage.

I am positively thrilled that my kitchen may serve as inspiration to a few of you. That's the ultimate compliment.

o

Congratulations! And, get used to receiving the ultimate compliment. I believe this beautiful, 2-toned kitchen-living space you've created will be referenced, clipped,bookmarked, etc. on GW (and elsewhere) for a long, long time to come!

o

Very nice!

o

You make me smile :-)

o

And your kitchen makes me smile! Some day, maybe will see in person :-)
i had to come back and look again!!
Thanks for sharing and want to see the KAW pictures next!

o

Wish I could have you all for dinner!

o

Its so beautiful. You really do have great taste!

o

Wow! Wow! I just love everything about this kitchen. The whole house is just gorgeous.

o

Thank you Heidi. Would you believe that I had to leave town 3 days after completion? It was quite a race to the finish line, but we made it! It'll be another few weeks until I can get home and start some real cooking in my new kitchen. I'm really looking forward to settling into the new space.

o

I'm in love! Thank you for showing the whole space. It all works together so well. When can I stop over for a cocktail?!
ps...I always love a peek of the pantry....

o

I wish we had the budget to include renovations to the pantry, but we only replaced the door. I have ample storage in the old white thermofoil cabinets, as well as laundry and a utility sink in the galley-style pantry. One end has a powder room, and the entrance to the garage is through the pantry door too.

o

Love, love your kitchen, actually the entire space with all the natural light. So open and welcoming. The waterfall peninsula is cool and I imagine a great space for prep or a buffet set up for entertaining.

A few more Qs if you don't mind....

-The upper and lower corner cabs, are they bifold doors? How wide and what is the interior like; any pull outs? My kitchen will probably require something similar so I'm interested to see how you maximized that space.

-What finish and model are your cabinet handles?
-Like your fridge, but maybe too large for my space; is it 42"?
-Love the floors, can you tell me what type of wood and who makes it?
-Name and source for the light fixture over the table?
-What paint color did you use for your walls in your living area and are the ceilings he same color? What color is the trim?

Thanks!

o

Thank you for the compliments, island. I am not at the house with my measuring tape, but will do my best to answer your questions.

My corner cabinets do indeed have bifold doors. The lowers have lazy susans; the uppers just shelves. I thought that I would lose more space than I did with the lazy susans. I had no problem fitting my kitchen gear inside.

I bought my cabinet pulls at lowes. Their website lists the amerock pull as Model #: BP26135-G10, called satin nickel sleek bar cabinet pull. I chose them because i liked the look and heavy feel. They were only $8 each, bonus!

I looked up the fridge specs online and the width of the 23sq ft model is 35.75". The wide-angle camera lens distorts the images a bit.

The floors in the house are a mixture of original 1968 oak, and new matching oak that was staggered and woven in to the old wood, then refinished. I have no idea who made it; we did the floors a year ago when we took out all of the walls and raised the roof. With that amount of upheaval I doubt I cared much about the floor mfr; I just wanted them done. ;-)

We replaced the dining room light fixture last year as well. I will have to check my files back home for you on the details for that one. I did buy it locally but I'm sure I can come up with the manufacturer and style name for you.

The wall paint is Sherwin Williams Aesthetic White. I think I sampled at least half a dozen white paints before choosing one. I really like it. The ceilings, on the other hand, are a very bright white. It's sherwin's most expensive ceiling paint, but IMO, worth every cent. It's called Brilliance. The trim paint is just plain old bright white.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

o

Beautiful. Your waterfall countertop is especially lovely.

o

those gigantic leaves out the window are so pretty!!
are you an interior designer/home stager? everything looks pristine.

o

Thanks carp but no, I'm just a lucky gal, with a very good friend who is a designer! We picked everything together.

o

Maija, I am ogling your beautiful kitchen again today. Hopefully you are around and can tell me how wide your U is? We are going back and forth as to whether to make the aisle more narrow to have a chunkier peninsula with more depth for seating or what.

PS - I still love your kitchen.

o

I purchased those same pendants but have yet to install them. They look great as does the rest of your gorgeous kitchen!!

o

Hi Steph2000, my U is 76" wide. Hope that helps!

o

BlackChamois, funny story about those pendants. A year ago, when we were remodeling to open up the whole space, we removed the upper cabinets over the peninsula. In general I am not a huge fan of pendants, and thought I wanted recessed cans over there. But it looked so blank when the cabinets came down, and since we were not planning to remodel the kitchen for another year, I swung up the lighting aisle while at Lowe's and picked the least offensive $39 pendants I saw, to use as a temporary placeholder. I love them! I was so glad that Lowe's still carries them, as I was able to put another one over my sink!

o

Thanks, Majra. After I posted, I found that I had asked you the same question on your other thread. Duh on me! Sorry!

How about those counter stools? Do you remember who made them and where you bought them? Do they swivel? I just love them!

o

I love those stools too! They are made by Tommy Bahama, from the Ocean Club collection. They do swivel, with a spring-back-to-center mechanism. If you happen to be in Florida, Baers is having a Tommy sale this month. We have two other pieces from the same line--the entertainment console, and my beloved china cabinet w travertine top (adjacent to the fireplace).

No worries on the measuring...it was a trip down memory lane to have the measuring tape in my hand again. ;)

o

The stools are great! Thanks so much, Maija, for being so generous and responsive with my questions.

If only I were in Florida... I could use some warm weather and sales about now.

Your aisle is so much wider than I am going to get. It's really nice. I'm afraid I am going to end up with a one-butt kitchen...

o

I think a U-shaped kitchen is perfect for one person. I can't imagine being happy about the traffic if we had put in an island. With the U, people tend to stay out of my zones. If they wanted to be in the middle of the action, they'd have to wash dishes! ;)

o

Hi Majra--quick question for you. What kind of grout did you use on your backsplash--sanded or non sanded? Thanks!

o

Anne, I don't remember! Is there a way to tell by looking at it?

o

Your kitchen is a fine example of a well thought out plan being executed nicely! I am partial to the two tone cabinet look. I must compliment you on your responsiveness to the other GW'ers, job well done all around!

o

I missed your reveal in June. So glad it popped up again. What a beautiful home. I love everything. It looks like you've got a spectacular outdoor area too. Thanks for sharing.

o

Thank you for the kind compliments, SaltLake. Romy, our outdoor space went through a big transformation too...not a kitchen, but here's a quick before & after. I have dining for 8 under the open roof, and the 24 ft of glass along the back of the house really brings the outside in, making my house feel much bigger than it used to.

o

Just to stay on topic, here's another composite showing before & after with the kitchen.

o

I'd like to come spend the cold Chicago winter with you.

o

Marja, your kitchen (and the whole living area) is beautiful.

Please tell me how you like:

1) the Kraus sink - we looked at a Kohler and a Blanco and thought the Blanco finish was much nicer, but haven't seen a Kraus in person. The Blanco is perhaps a tad too small so we're looking for alternative brands.

2) the Delta faucet (is that the Trinsic?) - is the "flow rate" okay --- it's much lower flow than our previous faucet (1.8 gpm vs. 2.2, so we're concerned, but that's the faucet we want). Also, did you get the "touch" faucet? If so, how do you like it?

o

Hi sjhockeyfan, I think the sink is one of my very favorite things in the kitchen! I must tell you, however, that I did a lot less research than it sounds like you're doing. I knew what shape and look and size and budget I wanted, and spent a few hours on amazon reading user reviews. Then I pressed buy. Same with the faucet!

If you want to look up details and specs,
Sink is Kraus KHU-100-30, 16 gauge stainless steel undermount
Faucet is Delta 9159-AR-DST in arctic stainless, no touch feature

Faucet flow seems adequate to me, and the sprayer does a fine job. But everyone has their own tolerances and I don't know what you are accustomed to. This is my very first brand new kitchen, so it's all a major improvement over anything I've cooked in before now.

o

Thanks - I can tell you have high standards (LOL), so I'm happy to accept your recommendation re the Krause sink and Delta faucet!

o

One more question if you don't mind - I can't tell from the picture - is your sink 24" or 28"? Is the size good?

o

It's actually a 30" and the size is awesome. I just love the single basin for washing big pans or stacking dirty dishes. Best thing is the depth, because you can't see the dirty dishes!! We did have to have the drain moved to accomodate the depth of the sink, so beware of plumbing costs.

o

I can't believe I never commented on this. I've had your kitchen bookmarked since June and I've kept coming back to look at it. I've never seen a two-toned kitchen come together this nicely! All the materials harmonize perfectly.

I've showed this to my DH and he said, "That's it!". That sealed the deal. We're using your kitchen as our inspiration. :)

I noticed on another thread you mentioned you are in Florida and your home is on a slab. We are also in Florida (Miami) and on a slab. We love the look of hardwood flooring, but everything we've read seems to discourage using them in this climate while on a slab. Can you tell me about your floors? How were they laid? Glued down? What species are they? Have you had any problems?

o

What a beautiful kitchen, I love the two tone. And that backsplash is gorgeous! I'm in FL also, born and raised in Miami, in northern Palm Beach county since 1980.

o

Natebear, thank you for the high praise! I will look forward to your reveal! Re: the floors, we have not had any trouble with the wood. Some of it is original to the 1969 home (it's oak) and there has never been an issue with the slab. The new oak was woven in with the old, then stripped and refinished. I believe it was glued (it's been a couple of years since we did the floors).

I'm in central FL--beautiful weather today!

o

Majra, thanks for your quick reply. I think we're going to try the wood out in the kitchen and see how that goes before continuing them throughout the house. They seem imperative to achieve the same look. I will be sure to post reveal pics. :)

Hi, fishymom ((waving))! I was also born and raised in Miami and just never made it out. ;)

o

This is such a gorgeous kitchen! Well done! Pretty doggie, too.

o

Stunning kitchen, just like rest of house. I love the wrapping the tile around window idea! Wish I had seen this thread before committing to going with a diff casing than the rest of the room (original casing width was an issue).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here