Houzz Logo Print
majra_gw

Final Reveal - Majra's Two-Toned Kitchen

Majra
10 years ago

Before

After

Details

Schuler cabinetry, Manhattan door style. Colors are Divinity for uppers and Eage Rock Sable Glaze for lowers.
Curava recycled glass countertop in color Savaii, waterfall edge on peninsula
Walker Zanger wall tile, style Waterfall
Bosch dual-fuel slide-in range
Bosch over-the-stove microwave
Bosch dishwasher
Samsung counter-depth French door fridge
Kraus sink
Delta faucet
GE reverse-osmosis system (drives me crazy that its chrome)
Amerock cabinet pulls
Allen & Roth pendants, right off the shelf at Lowe's
Lowe's one-light door to pantry

Our home has an open floor plan, and the kitchen was the last corner to get a make-over. We did not change the layout or footprint of the kitchen because we have lived here for a decade and it works for me. I also love having a peninsula.

The house is not large (2300 sf) so it was vital that the kitchen flow with the rest of the "rooms" (DR, LR, FR). These next wide-angle shots show how the new kitchen integrates into the rest of the space. I was aiming for a soft, airy, tranquil, unique, modernized, tone-on-tone aesthetic.

Random sink shot

Thank you GWers who kept me company during the renovation!

Comments (101)

• Majra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all so much. I'm out of town right now so I will post when time and wifi are available. It was hard to say goodbye to my new kitchen!

• sparklebread
    10 years ago

I love it!!!! Would you mind sharing the type of wood you selected for your cabinets? They are gorgeous.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

Love it! I can't add anything except to say, that you all here (and this is a fabulous example) do such wonderful work, that you are turning me into a fan of the modern aesthetic -- I never was before!

• zagyzebra
    10 years ago

A BOLD two-toned decision that WORKS! As I embark on designing my kitchen, your choice and finished results give me encouragement. I did a two-toned kitchen in my last place (a sort of of slightly muted orange and white) that I loved, and so did everyone else. So I, too, have been thinking of mixing white and wood, and seeing what you've done is giving me courage. Thank you for posting the photos!

• Majra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

To answer a few questions, the cabinets are maple.

The floors, while I don't remember the name of the stain, are basically one step lighter than ebony, with no red in the color. I really like true brown.

The fridge is Samsung's counter-depth French door model. It is very attractive and so far the storage seems adequate. I keep a relatively empty fridge, however, so it might be too small for some folks. I also have my old fridge in the garage.

I am positively thrilled that my kitchen may serve as inspiration to a few of you. That's the ultimate compliment.

• marthavila
    10 years ago

Congratulations! And, get used to receiving the ultimate compliment. I believe this beautiful, 2-toned kitchen-living space you've created will be referenced, clipped,bookmarked, etc. on GW (and elsewhere) for a long, long time to come!

• Mick Mick
    10 years ago

Very nice!

• Majra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You make me smile :-)

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

And your kitchen makes me smile! Some day, maybe will see in person :-)
    i had to come back and look again!!
    Thanks for sharing and want to see the KAW pictures next!

• Majra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wish I could have you all for dinner!

• homebuyer23
    10 years ago

Its so beautiful. You really do have great taste!

• heidihausfrau
    10 years ago

Wow! Wow! I just love everything about this kitchen. The whole house is just gorgeous.

• Majra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Heidi. Would you believe that I had to leave town 3 days after completion? It was quite a race to the finish line, but we made it! It'll be another few weeks until I can get home and start some real cooking in my new kitchen. I'm really looking forward to settling into the new space.

• rockpine
    10 years ago

I'm in love! Thank you for showing the whole space. It all works together so well. When can I stop over for a cocktail?!
    ps...I always love a peek of the pantry....

• Majra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I wish we had the budget to include renovations to the pantry, but we only replaced the door. I have ample storage in the old white thermofoil cabinets, as well as laundry and a utility sink in the galley-style pantry. One end has a powder room, and the entrance to the garage is through the pantry door too.

• islanddevil
    10 years ago

Love, love your kitchen, actually the entire space with all the natural light. So open and welcoming. The waterfall peninsula is cool and I imagine a great space for prep or a buffet set up for entertaining.

A few more Qs if you don't mind....

-The upper and lower corner cabs, are they bifold doors? How wide and what is the interior like; any pull outs? My kitchen will probably require something similar so I'm interested to see how you maximized that space.

-What finish and model are your cabinet handles?
    -Like your fridge, but maybe too large for my space; is it 42"?
    -Love the floors, can you tell me what type of wood and who makes it?
    -Name and source for the light fixture over the table?
    -What paint color did you use for your walls in your living area and are the ceilings he same color? What color is the trim?

Thanks!

• Majra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the compliments, island. I am not at the house with my measuring tape, but will do my best to answer your questions.

My corner cabinets do indeed have bifold doors. The lowers have lazy susans; the uppers just shelves. I thought that I would lose more space than I did with the lazy susans. I had no problem fitting my kitchen gear inside.

I bought my cabinet pulls at lowes. Their website lists the amerock pull as Model #: BP26135-G10, called satin nickel sleek bar cabinet pull. I chose them because i liked the look and heavy feel. They were only $8 each, bonus!

I looked up the fridge specs online and the width of the 23sq ft model is 35.75". The wide-angle camera lens distorts the images a bit.

The floors in the house are a mixture of original 1968 oak, and new matching oak that was staggered and woven in to the old wood, then refinished. I have no idea who made it; we did the floors a year ago when we took out all of the walls and raised the roof. With that amount of upheaval I doubt I cared much about the floor mfr; I just wanted them done. ;-)

We replaced the dining room light fixture last year as well. I will have to check my files back home for you on the details for that one. I did buy it locally but I'm sure I can come up with the manufacturer and style name for you.

The wall paint is Sherwin Williams Aesthetic White. I think I sampled at least half a dozen white paints before choosing one. I really like it. The ceilings, on the other hand, are a very bright white. It's sherwin's most expensive ceiling paint, but IMO, worth every cent. It's called Brilliance. The trim paint is just plain old bright white.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

• cindaintx
    10 years ago

Beautiful. Your waterfall countertop is especially lovely.

• carp123
    10 years ago

those gigantic leaves out the window are so pretty!!
    are you an interior designer/home stager? everything looks pristine.

• Majra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks carp but no, I'm just a lucky gal, with a very good friend who is a designer! We picked everything together.

• steph2000
    10 years ago

Maija, I am ogling your beautiful kitchen again today. Hopefully you are around and can tell me how wide your U is? We are going back and forth as to whether to make the aisle more narrow to have a chunkier peninsula with more depth for seating or what.

PS - I still love your kitchen.

• blackchamois
    10 years ago

I purchased those same pendants but have yet to install them. They look great as does the rest of your gorgeous kitchen!!

• Majra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Steph2000, my U is 76" wide. Hope that helps!

• Majra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

BlackChamois, funny story about those pendants. A year ago, when we were remodeling to open up the whole space, we removed the upper cabinets over the peninsula. In general I am not a huge fan of pendants, and thought I wanted recessed cans over there. But it looked so blank when the cabinets came down, and since we were not planning to remodel the kitchen for another year, I swung up the lighting aisle while at Lowe's and picked the least offensive $39 pendants I saw, to use as a temporary placeholder. I love them! I was so glad that Lowe's still carries them, as I was able to put another one over my sink!

• steph2000
    10 years ago

Thanks, Majra. After I posted, I found that I had asked you the same question on your other thread. Duh on me! Sorry!

How about those counter stools? Do you remember who made them and where you bought them? Do they swivel? I just love them!

• Majra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I love those stools too! They are made by Tommy Bahama, from the Ocean Club collection. They do swivel, with a spring-back-to-center mechanism. If you happen to be in Florida, Baers is having a Tommy sale this month. We have two other pieces from the same line--the entertainment console, and my beloved china cabinet w travertine top (adjacent to the fireplace).

No worries on the measuring...it was a trip down memory lane to have the measuring tape in my hand again. ;)

• steph2000
    10 years ago

The stools are great! Thanks so much, Maija, for being so generous and responsive with my questions.

If only I were in Florida... I could use some warm weather and sales about now.

Your aisle is so much wider than I am going to get. It's really nice. I'm afraid I am going to end up with a one-butt kitchen...

• Majra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think a U-shaped kitchen is perfect for one person. I can't imagine being happy about the traffic if we had put in an island. With the U, people tend to stay out of my zones. If they wanted to be in the middle of the action, they'd have to wash dishes! ;)

• Anne Harris
    10 years ago

Hi Majra--quick question for you. What kind of grout did you use on your backsplash--sanded or non sanded? Thanks!

• Majra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Anne, I don't remember! Is there a way to tell by looking at it?

• SaltLife631
    10 years ago

Your kitchen is a fine example of a well thought out plan being executed nicely! I am partial to the two tone cabinet look. I must compliment you on your responsiveness to the other GW'ers, job well done all around!

• romy718
    10 years ago

I missed your reveal in June. So glad it popped up again. What a beautiful home. I love everything. It looks like you've got a spectacular outdoor area too. Thanks for sharing.

• Majra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the kind compliments, SaltLake. Romy, our outdoor space went through a big transformation too...not a kitchen, but here's a quick before & after. I have dining for 8 under the open roof, and the 24 ft of glass along the back of the house really brings the outside in, making my house feel much bigger than it used to.

• Majra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just to stay on topic, here's another composite showing before & after with the kitchen.

• romy718
    10 years ago

I'd like to come spend the cold Chicago winter with you.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Marja, your kitchen (and the whole living area) is beautiful.

Please tell me how you like:

1) the Kraus sink - we looked at a Kohler and a Blanco and thought the Blanco finish was much nicer, but haven't seen a Kraus in person. The Blanco is perhaps a tad too small so we're looking for alternative brands.

2) the Delta faucet (is that the Trinsic?) - is the "flow rate" okay --- it's much lower flow than our previous faucet (1.8 gpm vs. 2.2, so we're concerned, but that's the faucet we want). Also, did you get the "touch" faucet? If so, how do you like it?

• Majra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi sjhockeyfan, I think the sink is one of my very favorite things in the kitchen! I must tell you, however, that I did a lot less research than it sounds like you're doing. I knew what shape and look and size and budget I wanted, and spent a few hours on amazon reading user reviews. Then I pressed buy. Same with the faucet!

If you want to look up details and specs,
    Sink is Kraus KHU-100-30, 16 gauge stainless steel undermount
    Faucet is Delta 9159-AR-DST in arctic stainless, no touch feature

Faucet flow seems adequate to me, and the sprayer does a fine job. But everyone has their own tolerances and I don't know what you are accustomed to. This is my very first brand new kitchen, so it's all a major improvement over anything I've cooked in before now.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Thanks - I can tell you have high standards (LOL), so I'm happy to accept your recommendation re the Krause sink and Delta faucet!

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

One more question if you don't mind - I can't tell from the picture - is your sink 24" or 28"? Is the size good?

• Majra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's actually a 30" and the size is awesome. I just love the single basin for washing big pans or stacking dirty dishes. Best thing is the depth, because you can't see the dirty dishes!! We did have to have the drain moved to accomodate the depth of the sink, so beware of plumbing costs.

• natebear zone 10B
    10 years ago

I can't believe I never commented on this. I've had your kitchen bookmarked since June and I've kept coming back to look at it. I've never seen a two-toned kitchen come together this nicely! All the materials harmonize perfectly.

I've showed this to my DH and he said, "That's it!". That sealed the deal. We're using your kitchen as our inspiration. :)

I noticed on another thread you mentioned you are in Florida and your home is on a slab. We are also in Florida (Miami) and on a slab. We love the look of hardwood flooring, but everything we've read seems to discourage using them in this climate while on a slab. Can you tell me about your floors? How were they laid? Glued down? What species are they? Have you had any problems?

• fishymom
    10 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen, I love the two tone. And that backsplash is gorgeous! I'm in FL also, born and raised in Miami, in northern Palm Beach county since 1980.

• Majra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Natebear, thank you for the high praise! I will look forward to your reveal! Re: the floors, we have not had any trouble with the wood. Some of it is original to the 1969 home (it's oak) and there has never been an issue with the slab. The new oak was woven in with the old, then stripped and refinished. I believe it was glued (it's been a couple of years since we did the floors).

I'm in central FL--beautiful weather today!

• natebear zone 10B
    10 years ago

Majra, thanks for your quick reply. I think we're going to try the wood out in the kitchen and see how that goes before continuing them throughout the house. They seem imperative to achieve the same look. I will be sure to post reveal pics. :)

Hi, fishymom ((waving))! I was also born and raised in Miami and just never made it out. ;)

• Pipdog
    10 years ago

This is such a gorgeous kitchen! Well done! Pretty doggie, too.

• Mags438
    10 years ago

Stunning kitchen, just like rest of house. I love the wrapping the tile around window idea! Wish I had seen this thread before committing to going with a diff casing than the rest of the room (original casing width was an issue).

• skind49
    9 years ago

I'm toggling between a Kraus KBU24 sink and a Franke Regatta. I already bought the Delta faucets in Arctic Stainless. How closely does your faucet match the finish on your Kraus sink? You mentioned that your sink is one of your favorite parts of your kitchen. Are their any downsides to the Kraus now that you have used it awhile? It's several hundred dollars less than the Franke, but if the quality is there, I rather use that money elsewhere. Thanks for any input.

• Majra
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Skindylu, I still adore my sink, as does my husband, so two thumbs way up here! The finish color is a very good match with the faucet to my eye too. I can't think of a single downside to the Kraus. The upsides are numerous--everything from the bottom rack to the spacious depth to the slightly curved corners (for easy clean up) and the rear offset drain--it's a pleasure to use. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

All that said, I've never seen a Franke in person, and this is my very first brand-new sink!

• lindastone17
    9 years ago

I like what you did to the ceiling in the family room; it really changes the look of the room. Approximately how high is the peak and did you include skylights?

• E W
    3 years ago

I wonder if the OP will see this? It's been a few years... I love your kitchen! I'm wondering how the Curava Savaii has held up? I read another post here https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2677283/curava-countertops that gives me some pause. I've read the sea shells in Savaii pose issues maybe more so than the other glass-only styles. Idk. Thanks for your feedback!