Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
breezygirl_gw

Oh Slu-u-u-ush!! Show us your Moon Night!

breezygirl
12 years ago

I've been waiting to hear about the install and to see how it looks. I'm hoping that the your non-posting doesn't mean there was a problem. Can we please see?

Comments (40)

• slush1422
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Breezy, thanks for thinking of us. I've had a frustrating weekend!!! They moved it to Saturday and at 8am (after a night of restless sleep due to excitement) I got a call from the fabricator that the contractor was unable to send his guys to help with our HUGE island slab and couldn't send them until Monday. After some crying and bad words to DH I realized there was nothing I could do. So we waited patiently (or not) the rest of the weekend and hopefully they will be here any minute to install. The contractor was here and said the fabricator's eta was about 15 minutes. I'll post pictures soon! I'm having heart palpitations waiting for them to arrive.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Deep breaths! In through the nose, out through the mouth. ;)

Can't wait to see!

• slush1422
    12 years ago

So excited! The first piece is in! It's gorgeous :) and I love how it has texture. Reminds me of a "leathered" finish.

Teasers:

On the truck:

From Moon Night Granite Install

Our huge island slab

The first piece installed. This will be between the fridge and the range. We chose a miter edge and I am so happy what a great job they did lining it up.

A close up:

DH he can already tell I'm going to be charging people to rub the granite, it feels so cool. "Three rubs per person"!! haha

More to come in a bit. They are working on the sink right now.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

GORGEOUS! More pics, more pics...

• chicagoans
    12 years ago

Wow! Stunning -- really really cool. I am also admiring those beautiful mountains in the background of the first picture!

• kmmh
    12 years ago

That's beautiful!

• gardenamy
    12 years ago

WOW and WOW and WOW!!! Even in photos it is breathtaking! Love it. You will have an exceptional kitchen..perfect fit. Can't wait for more photos.

• celineike
    12 years ago

Ooooohhhhhhh!!!!!! it's SO coool!!!
    You must be bouncing inside!!! And maybe outside too. I know I was!
    :D
    Fun!

• slush1422
    12 years ago

More pics!

The fabricator said the stone is HEAVY and a very hard stone.
    The guys bringing in the corner run

Ready for the slab

There will only be this seam on the sink.

Bringing in the island slab

Dang it though...is this a crack??? Fabricator says no - but one of the subs pointed it out to me saying it was a crack??!

I tried to take a picture of the texture

More pictures to come once the sink is done. It seems to be giving them a hard time. I hope they finish quick, I have a baby shower to host in a few hours and don't want to leave them here alone. I already had to make them adjust the island because the top drawers wouldn't close and thank goodness we caught it before it was all set. I think we will run into the same issue all around with the top drawers.

• doggonegardener
    12 years ago

That IS pretty. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Ne

• pupwhipped
    12 years ago

Oh my, how much are you charging per rub? I'll be the first in line for a feel. Beautiful, really beautiful.

• kitchenaddict
    12 years ago

Hi slush...

It looks great..I've never felt honed anything before. I'm hoping to get a free feel... afterall, we're practically neighbors. (Hey, I recognize those mountains in the first pic!)

KA:)

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

Oh wow! How absolutely stunning! Thank you for sharing. I can't wait to see more pictures as your kitchen unfolds.

ps. I'll be right in line behind pupwhipped.

• ironcook
    12 years ago

Wow... that is a gorgeous granite! I've never seen that before... the island is really something to behold!

Love the photo of the line of guys carrying the countertop!

Congrats, but the weekend must have been a tough wait. Well worth it, though. Thanks for sharing. :)

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm first for the touching of the stone! ;)

Any update on that crack-like issue? I know you had the baby shower and might not have had time to deal with it. I hope you get a good resolution.

• mom2tykel
    12 years ago

Slush, it is beautiful! Mine (white suprema) has been in for about 3 weeks but we still have a bit of tweaking to do before I post final pics. People come in and feel the texture and comment how much they love it. Your kitchen is coming along great!

• honorbiltkit
    12 years ago

I am not much of a granite fan, but that is a spectacularly handsome lot of stone. I love the honed finish and how the light plays on the texture that is part of the pattern.

Also, in the first slab-on-the-truck photo, it looks at though the scale and subtlety of the slab mirrors those of the distant mountains. Does this mean that the next big thing will be matching one's counters to one's landscape?

• advanced
    12 years ago

Stunning granite. I have never seen anything like it before.

• NatalieChantal
    12 years ago

Slush, is that just honed, or is the stone actually textured along its pattern? From your surface pics I can't tell if the top is smooth or if it has little ridges that follows the swirls.

That stone is beautiful. Your previous posts have caused me to seriously question my commitment to soapstone... I did find two slabs of Moon Night in my area but am having a hard time finding a soapstone in the area that I like! Can I ask you how much maintenace the Moon Night is supposed to be, and if it is carefree and stain-proof or does it need some precautions?

I LOVE how your kitchen is coming together, and your Moon Night island top is my absolute favorite kitchen surface of all time!

• celineike
    12 years ago

its SO GOOD!!!!!

• slush1422
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the nice comments. I am so happy with it! KA stop by any time! Just give me a call, I'd love for you to see it in person.

Breezy - Fabricator kept saying it wasn't a crack. DH said we will measure it, and keep an eye on it. The good thing is that it's in a corner where a cabinet is - and not on the overhang side.

honorbiltkit - that's funny but when I went back and looked at the picture it DOES match our mountains. So funny.

Natalie - they said it was just honed. The stone does have a lot of texture - it's not smooth at all, but it's not rough either. Almost like it has little veining all along it that you can feel when you rub it. According to my fabricator he said that it seemed a lot harder than granite - but the slab yard still labeled it as granite and not quartzite. My fabricator had never worked with it before and said everyone that came into his shop kept asking him what it was because of the honed finish and texture. He said that I seal it just like normal and shouldn't have any problems with staining, etc. I haven't tested it yet but we are hopefully moving into the kitchen this weekend so I'm sure I'll find out soon enough! If something does happen to it I will for sure be posting it to help others in making a decision.

A few more pictures for you all:
    Drawers installed

I LOVE LOVE the sink

This is a dark picture - but it's the view into the kitchen from down the 2 steps into our family room.

• steph2000
    12 years ago

Oh, that is just lovely. Really, really beautiful. I'm a sucker for the color scheme. It's a good day in Moon Night land. :)

• Stacy Rahn-Dennis
    12 years ago

It's just gorgeous!! Congrats!

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    12 years ago

W-O-W.

Drool.

I love it.

• bellajourney
    12 years ago

Wow! It is absolutely Stunning!! Congrats to you on such a beautiful kitchen! Can't wait to see more pics as everything comes together. (And I'm excited to see how terrific your Adel White cabinets look too! Ours are still sitting in boxes in the dining room, patiently waiting for the floors and walls to be finished.)

• slush1422
    12 years ago

Thanks so much! It's been frustrating because the workers didn't show up for the past two days so we've been unable to do anything! But today they are supposed to finish moving the hood exhaust and electric (it was off center - WAY off), get our electrical live, and hook up our sink valves. By this weekend I might have a functioning kitchen, depending on how much DH gets done and is able to install all the appliances. I can't wait!!!! I'm still trying to figure out hardware though. I have cups for all the drawers and was going to do cabinet latches for the cabinets, but the ones I ordered from Horton Brass (used the 10% discount from the contest) are too small because our doors are not completely flush with each other and are a little rounded. I have to mail them back and I'm back to square one :( I'm so disappointed because it took me since April to talk DH into the latches and he finally gave in. Oh and we have to find the rest of our lighting - we only have pendants, and counter stools as well. SO many decisions.

• colorfast
    12 years ago

Hi, your stone is just beautiful! I also was looking at this stone as one of several contenders, so this post couldn't be better timed for me.

I also have heard differing statements as to what Moon Night actually IS. I first saw it in a BHG magazine and had to email the designer to find out its name. She referred to it as a Granite. I later was told by a yard that it was a quartzite and it is harder than true granite as one of its attributes. Then a third yard told me it is technically a marble. To confuse matters, he may have been thinking I said "Moon Light" on the phone, I don't know.

The possibility of staining it is my hangup. But your pictures make it look pretty tempting!

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sure, you've got a few decisions left, but look how far you've come! Pendants and counter stools can wait if need be.

Too bad about the HB hardware. There are a few things I'm eyeing on their site, but I'm afraid that by the time I get to that stage, they wont honor my 10% off because too much time has past.

I love seeing more pics. The Blanco looks great installed too. I hope things are going well with the work today. Be sure to post your progress! How great to possibly have a working kitchen for the holiday.

• slush1422
    12 years ago

Colorfast - that's the same hangup I have. I didn't when we were thinking of going with the polished version, but I'm nervous about the honed now that it's installed. If it's even honed? I thought honed was just like polished but they don't do the last step and it's still a very smooth stone. Mine has so much texture - which I LOVE, but is it flamed? River-washed? Who knows? Everything I read is so conflicting. DH said he thinks we definitely got a unique stone and we are both happy. I just wish that I could find some information about it to help me with sealing and care of it.

Breezy when I called Horton, Orion said that I was the first person to use the discount. I think his email said there was technically no expiration date.

• colorfast
    12 years ago

With this whole remodel, it is a fear of the unknown, isn't it? I may not be TKO but I am Totally Kitchen Cautious. If you could only know for a fact that certain things absolutely must not set on your countertop, you would adjust your behaviors and make them a habit. But different sealers and finishes, mean that other people's experiences may not be the same as your own.

Whatever granite I decide on, here's my plan: Take some of the remnants of the slabs and figure out what stains, what doesn't, if certain things can set a minute before you wipe them away or if they need washed off immediately. That's my intention anyway!

• rhome410
    12 years ago

STUNNING. Love the finish. Definitely rub-worthy stuff! How exciting to have something go in and the result be so fantastic.

• cplover
    12 years ago

SO I opted for Gray Wisp for the wall color and Feather Down for the ceiling. I hope it turns out okay, I guess I will find out when I get home from work today!! EEK! :)

• celineike
    12 years ago

had to peak again - seriously gorgeous!
    You must be so happy!!!!
    cant wait to see what you do with the BS!

• slush1422
    12 years ago

I bet the colors will be great newbie. Post pics :)

celineike - we will probably end up doing some kind of subway or light gray glass tile BS. I love colored BS but am worried that anything other than white or a light gray will just be too busy. I think we'll have a better idea of it once the appliances are in and all the doors and hardware are on. My true love color is turquoise and I have to figure out a way to get it in my kitchen too. Before the remodel I was trying to put red and turquoise together in there by adding a red microwave and red toaster. I loved it with the turquoise I had. Now that my colors are more gray with the granite/walls I'm not sure what to do. I definitely don't have the "eye" when it comes to pulling colors together.

• ptamom
    12 years ago

Loving the kitchen. Please tell me what type of hedge that is in your driveway? I have nieghbor I want to block out;)

• aliris19
    12 years ago

Wonderful! Hang in there; it'll get all done soon enough. Life is long.... and worth waiting for with counters like that!

• slush1422
    12 years ago

ptamom - you cracked me up...I believe they are Cypress trees. They work well to "block" neighbors :)

Thanks aliris. We still haven't sealed the granite. I tested a "sealer and enhancer" in a corner and it darkened it, which I didn't want but it was the only sealer that said it was for "honed" granite. Not sure what to do now? Of course the people at Home Depot and Lowes have no clue what I'm talking about when I try to describe our stone and the texture of it.

DH is currently installing "the pig" aka the garbage disposal and hoping to have running water for our sink by midnight tonight. Fingers crossed. I've spent ALL day researching hardware. Such a small thing causing so many questions. Not sure why I'm second guessing myself now when I thought the decisions had been made a while back. Maybe because now, hardware is actually ready to be installed? Tomorrow we have a birthday party to go to but hoping DH can get the fridge and possibly even our new Bertazzoni range and hood in tomorrow. So excited!!!

• blondeziggy2
    12 years ago

Your Moon Night is beautiful. It is such a peaceful look. Can't wait to see more pictures.

• bigjim24
    12 years ago

Oh my :O That is great that you have achieved stunning to the eye as well as the touch! What an exciting progress weekend for you! Congrats. Depending on how much you charge for each rub you could quite possibly make back the cost of that gorgeous stone! People are already lining up :)

• cjc123
    12 years ago

I've been away so please excuse me for not posting right away... WOW~~~ I love it!! I have it in polished but L O V E the textured look so much! I have one vein in my island that keeps catching my eye and I think it is a crack, my heart pounds everytime my eye catches it. I have white subway backsplash and I feel it lets the countertop sing and show off. ENJOY!! I know one year later I still rub mine with a big smile on my face! OH and BTW I L O V E your sink - I am having sink envy.... WELL DONE! Cindy

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH