Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maggiebkit

Window in kitchen NOT over sink-pics

maggiebkit
11 years ago

Thinking about keeping our layout so we don't have the expense of moving our sink. But still would like to add a window. Anyone have a window without a sink (or stove top) in front, just counter?

TIA

Comments (17)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I don't have it but have seen it. One of the inspiration pics for my kitchen had one by itself on the side of a U shaped kitchen. Here's another pic.

I have also been in an amazing kitchen where they actually used a window in place of a backsplash for an entire wall. Quite something and the light on the counter was fabulous.

• remodelfla
    11 years ago

And now for a simple more everyday kitchen view of a kitchen with a window not over the sink.

Sorry it was night and the shade was down too so no light was coming in.

• rocketmomkd
    11 years ago

I don't have pics to show yet, but we do not have a window above our sink. It will be a tile backsplash with high canbinets above it, like the type you sometimes see over a range. The windows in our space are to the left of our u-shaped kitchen, in the penninsula seating area, and to the right in our dining room which is open to our kitchen. The 42" wall between the kitchen and the dining room is my range wall, so I can see out the window from the range.

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

We do have a window over the sink, but we also have a window over the range. I love the range window. Spatters clean off easily, and the strong exhaust fan keeps most of them from ever happening. Several people have done this, and perhps someone can get you more photos if the idea might fit your kitchen. The windows are sometimes much larger than mine.

I think windows can go almost anywhere and are always a big plus in the confined spaces of a kitchen.

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

oops, sorry. I didn't see that you excluded stove tops from your request.

• camphappy
    11 years ago

Hi Maggie, my kitchen is currently down to the studs but I will have (2) 6' wide windows side by side. One will have the sink under it and the other open counter space. (My old kitchen had a 4' wide window over the sink and a 5' wide slider. The wonderful folks here on GW talked me into turning the slider into a window to give me more layout options.) I justified the cost of the extra window space by not having to pay for upper cabinets on this wall. :) I love the open feeling of kitchens with lots of windows! Think of where your prep area will be. That is a perfect spot for a window.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Here's a pic of the window backsplash idea

{{!gwi}}

And another with windows over counters

• rosie
    11 years ago

What a great group of inspirations. Bellsmom and Segbrown, I love both your very different ways of integrating windows with kitchen.

• Tim
    11 years ago

Our window in the corner. No window over the sink, but we did knock a hole in the wall between the kitchen and dining room, over the sink, which allows the light to pass through.

• barbcollins
    11 years ago

Here is my latest renovation...

• peonybush
    11 years ago

No window over our sink either. We took it out and put a single french door in it's place. We moved the sink to a new location further down the counter.

/Users/irish1s/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2012/Jun 9, 2012/DSC02025.JPG

• maggiebkit
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing such beautiful and lovely spaces!!

We would not do a window over the range because our neighbors are too close and we need privacy, but I would consider windows next to the range...

• Ann Scheley
    11 years ago

We have one window on each side of the soon to be range wall. The windows are in but nothing else is except frame for custom hood. Our sink will be in the island.

Here is a pic of the windows as is:

I am a firm believer in putting a window anywhere you can!! You won't regret it.

• Meg Jones
    8 years ago

@annsch do you have a finished picture of this>>!! Please! Thanks

• User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Meg Jones - I am not Annsch, but here is a link to her kitchen reveal (found by typing "Annsch" in the search box at the top of the page).

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2678081/almost-all-white-finished-kitchen-reveal?n=80

• Meg Jones
    8 years ago
    Thanks sorry didn't know you could search ppl! Thanks again!!