Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Window in kitchen NOT over sink-pics

Posted by maggiebkit (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 30, 12 at 4:36

Thinking about keeping our layout so we don't have the expense of moving our sink. But still would like to add a window. Anyone have a window without a sink (or stove top) in front, just counter?
TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Window in kitchen NOT over sink-pics

I don't have it but have seen it. One of the inspiration pics for my kitchen had one by itself on the side of a U shaped kitchen. Here's another pic.

I have also been in an amazing kitchen where they actually used a window in place of a backsplash for an entire wall. Quite something and the light on the counter was fabulous.

o

And now for a simple more everyday kitchen view of a kitchen with a window not over the sink.

Sorry it was night and the shade was down too so no light was coming in.

o

I don't have pics to show yet, but we do not have a window above our sink. It will be a tile backsplash with high canbinets above it, like the type you sometimes see over a range. The windows in our space are to the left of our u-shaped kitchen, in the penninsula seating area, and to the right in our dining room which is open to our kitchen. The 42" wall between the kitchen and the dining room is my range wall, so I can see out the window from the range.

o

We do have a window over the sink, but we also have a window over the range. I love the range window. Spatters clean off easily, and the strong exhaust fan keeps most of them from ever happening. Several people have done this, and perhps someone can get you more photos if the idea might fit your kitchen. The windows are sometimes much larger than mine.
Photobucket

Photobucket

I think windows can go almost anywhere and are always a big plus in the confined spaces of a kitchen.

o
Sorry. Missed part of your request.

oops, sorry. I didn't see that you excluded stove tops from your request.

o

Hi Maggie, my kitchen is currently down to the studs but I will have (2) 6' wide windows side by side. One will have the sink under it and the other open counter space. (My old kitchen had a 4' wide window over the sink and a 5' wide slider. The wonderful folks here on GW talked me into turning the slider into a window to give me more layout options.) I justified the cost of the extra window space by not having to pay for upper cabinets on this wall. :) I love the open feeling of kitchens with lots of windows! Think of where your prep area will be. That is a perfect spot for a window.

o

My window isn't over anything. I do have a view out of it from the prep sink (and most everywhere else).

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Here's a pic of the window backsplash idea

And another with windows over counters

o

What a great group of inspirations. Bellsmom and Segbrown, I love both your very different ways of integrating windows with kitchen.

o

Our window in the corner. No window over the sink, but we did knock a hole in the wall between the kitchen and dining room, over the sink, which allows the light to pass through.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Here is my latest renovation...

After 04-14-2012

IMG_5675

o

No window over our sink either. We took it out and put a single french door in it's place. We moved the sink to a new location further down the counter.

/Users/irish1s/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2012/Jun 9, 2012/DSC02025.JPG

o

Thanks for sharing such beautiful and lovely spaces!!

We would not do a window over the range because our neighbors are too close and we need privacy, but I would consider windows next to the range...

o

We have one window on each side of the soon to be range wall. The windows are in but nothing else is except frame for custom hood. Our sink will be in the island.

Here is a pic of the windows as is:

Photobucket

I am a firm believer in putting a window anywhere you can!! You won't regret it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here