Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Getting some things accomplished. Question about lights.

Posted by mrsmortarmixer (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 3:47

So it's been a busy couple days and dh has been working long hours and worked through the weekend. I'm pretty sure I warned him about taking on all of these "small" projects before he starts on a new build. The girls and I went on a smallish shopping spree this past week and bought two sinks, a faucet (maybe just a temp.) for the prep sink, and I let the girls all pick out one tile at Home Depot to try out for a backsplash since none of my choices have been working. They actually did remarkably well considering we didn't end up with bright blue or neon green. I guess the bank knew enough about my cheapness to question this recent spending spree and called yesterday morning to make sure my debit card hadn't been stolen. LOL.

Anyways, this afternoon I decided to tackle the window trim. Turns out, what I thought would only take a couple hours ended up taking until 3 am and I'm still not done. But it doesn't look THAT bad. I finished everything but the aprons, the trim pieces for in between the windows, and I'm not sure how I did scribing the door casing against the brick, so that might have to be done when I'm more coherent. Not sure what to do for the aprons. Thinking about just flipping the casing upside down and trimming the edges so the sides follow the profile. Or maybe I'll use some other trim we've got around here.

About the lighting. I saw this light and kind of liked its simplicity. I'm horrible at trying to make things to scale, and obviously my perspective view isn't quite right, but the lights are 12x30". Island is 7'8" ish by 38" ish. Does that size seem okay for the area? I don't have my heart set on anything, but thought these might work if I could find a coordinating light for above the open area that will eventually become the breakfast/snack area. Maybe a bit too contemporary for the space. I'm not really sure.

And if anyone is interested in the girls' tile choices, I will post those too. I thought for blindly picking tile that I told them needed to match the kitchen, they did pretty well.

My oldest picked this tile. She said it matches my pots and pans after I make them shiny. She loves my copper bottom pans more than I do, and that says a lot.

My middle daughter picked this marble, because it has green jewels. Her favorite color is green. You can't really see them in the picture.

And my youngest, decided to skip tile all together and go for laminate flooring. I think she was going for the rustic barn look.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Getting some things accomplished. Question about lights.

Windows look great! Finishes are not my forte, but I just had to comment on how much I love seeing your girls' picks. That little one might be going places, that's really thinking outside the box, lol!

o

Love to hear young ones are exercising their design wings.
I'd vote for something simple since you have all of that stunning brick.
I'm not feeling the love for the light fixture. Since the brick again is the star of the show I think all other aspects should blend not detract and it seems a bit contemporary.
I am currently painting a house full of window trim similar to yours. My DH did what you mentioned just flipped the casing and did a simple 45 return. It looks really nice.
Painting the windows is such a thankless chore.
I kind of like daughter #2's marble pick.

o

Williamsem- It was so much fun letting them pick out things. When Mr. MM comes shopping, we always get rushed through everything, so we never get a chance to really look around. Home improvement stores are a great place for kids. So many colors, patterns, and textures for them to see and feel. I'm hoping when the addition gets started, we'll be able to let them pick out everything for their rooms and bathroom, within reason of course.

ppbenn- I brought home a cream colored subway last week, but it's far too stark I think. I might need to look for something with more color. I have yet to make it to an actual tile place though. I wasn't real sure about the light either. Just trying to find something simple is harder than it looks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here