Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrsmortarmixer

Getting some things accomplished. Question about lights.

mrsmortarmixer
10 years ago

So it's been a busy couple days and dh has been working long hours and worked through the weekend. I'm pretty sure I warned him about taking on all of these "small" projects before he starts on a new build. The girls and I went on a smallish shopping spree this past week and bought two sinks, a faucet (maybe just a temp.) for the prep sink, and I let the girls all pick out one tile at Home Depot to try out for a backsplash since none of my choices have been working. They actually did remarkably well considering we didn't end up with bright blue or neon green. I guess the bank knew enough about my cheapness to question this recent spending spree and called yesterday morning to make sure my debit card hadn't been stolen. LOL.

Anyways, this afternoon I decided to tackle the window trim. Turns out, what I thought would only take a couple hours ended up taking until 3 am and I'm still not done. But it doesn't look THAT bad. I finished everything but the aprons, the trim pieces for in between the windows, and I'm not sure how I did scribing the door casing against the brick, so that might have to be done when I'm more coherent. Not sure what to do for the aprons. Thinking about just flipping the casing upside down and trimming the edges so the sides follow the profile. Or maybe I'll use some other trim we've got around here.

About the lighting. I saw this light and kind of liked its simplicity. I'm horrible at trying to make things to scale, and obviously my perspective view isn't quite right, but the lights are 12x30". Island is 7'8" ish by 38" ish. Does that size seem okay for the area? I don't have my heart set on anything, but thought these might work if I could find a coordinating light for above the open area that will eventually become the breakfast/snack area. Maybe a bit too contemporary for the space. I'm not really sure.

And if anyone is interested in the girls' tile choices, I will post those too. I thought for blindly picking tile that I told them needed to match the kitchen, they did pretty well.

My oldest picked this tile. She said it matches my pots and pans after I make them shiny. She loves my copper bottom pans more than I do, and that says a lot.

My middle daughter picked this marble, because it has green jewels. Her favorite color is green. You can't really see them in the picture.

And my youngest, decided to skip tile all together and go for laminate flooring. I think she was going for the rustic barn look.

Comments (3)