Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
old_skool

mini update on my kitchen remodel progress.

old_skool
15 years ago

I will have some better pictures tomorrow with the installed cabinets and appliances, but for now, a teaser of the progress so far:

Here was the kitchen after we moved in and painted but before we started the remodel:

{{gwi:1884807}}

{{gwi:1884808}}

As you can see a terrible layout, no real counter top space, old mismatched appliances, ugly floor complete with stains, cheap countertop, not enough outlets, a flimsy rear entry door, and in my opinion, ugly cabinets.

Cabinets and appliances removed:

{{gwi:1884809}}

{{gwi:1884810}}

Plaster demo (inch thick, dual layer plaster with wire mesh underneath):

{{gwi:1884811}}

{{gwi:1884812}}

5 layer floor demo:

{{gwi:1884813}}

Completed demo:

{{gwi:1884815}}

{{gwi:1884817}}

Wiring and plumbing installed :

{{gwi:1884818}}

New door installed:

{{gwi:1884819}}

{{gwi:1884820}}

3/4" select white oak floor installed:

{{gwi:1884821}}

Shimmed out drywall installed, awaiting plaster top coat:

{{gwi:1884822}}

Plaster complete and primer coat applied:

{{gwi:1884823}}

New paint color applied:

{{gwi:1884824}}

And that's all for now, but tomorrow I will have pictures of the installed cabinets that have been custom stained, countertops installed plus the installed appliances and undercabinet lighting.

This has been a long, slow process since we have been doing this all by ourselves on a tight budget and time constraints.

Comments (24)

• periwinkle18
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

WOW! I am new to this forum, so I don't know too much about kitchen remodels, but this looks great. I love your floor choice.

• ci_lantro
    15 years ago

I love process photos!

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

Wow! What a great job you have done! It is amazing! Especially with the amount of demo and getting through all those "layers" that were before the current remodel. It is going to be fabulous! Can't wait to see more. Congrats on a GREAT job. You should be very proud of yourselves!

• jen4268
    15 years ago

Can't wait to see what comes next!

• neesie
    15 years ago

Wow, 5 layers of flooring? I like your new wood floor, it will probably be around for a long time. You are a good photographer! Can't wait to see more pictures of your progress. Good luck!

• mary1805
    15 years ago

Huge improvement already! I love the green you've selected. Can you tell me what brand & color it is? And is it different from the 1st green you painted? It looks different, but I know it may just be the lighting, too.

• old_skool
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The first paint was much darker. I liked it but it just didn't work the same way the new color does.

Original color was like a mottled green pear. Literally if you held the pear up to the wall it was camouflaged.
    It was Sea Of Grass 8217 Sherwin Williams

The new color is
    Melange Green SW 6710
    Benjamin Moore/Sherwin Williams
    Requires ColorAccents Ultradeep base LRV 20

It turned out great. Much more mellow than the last one.

We tested a range of reds and oranges and just couldn't like any of them. This green really stood out. We have espresso color cabinets and white Silestone countertops plus glass tile backsplash in a range of white, grey and green.

• old_skool
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry I mean Duron/Sherwin Williams, not Benjamin Moore.

• vicnsb
    15 years ago

I'm so impressed with diy! It looks awesome!

Whats to come sounds even better!

• old_skool
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I still have many items to complete:

refinish floors, install toe molding and baseboard, trim out windows, tile backsplash, install stainless steel wall plates, install door hardware, install Blumotion kits, install drawers, touch up stain on cabinets, install frosted glass doors on cabinets above sink, install pot filler, install low voltage recessed lighting conversion kits, pick out and install pendant lights over the sink, repaint the ceiling, lots of minor misc items.

{{gwi:1884825}}

{{gwi:1884826}}

{{gwi:1884827}}

{{gwi:1884828}}

{{gwi:1884829}}

{{gwi:1884830}}

{{gwi:1884832}}

I designed the space, did the demo, bought the items, did almost 100% of the install.

We have a Danze chrome pot filler, nice brushed stainless door handles that match the design of the JennAir appliance handles. We upgraded to Kholer sink traps. Disposal is controlled by air switch. We have an instant hot plus cold filtered water dispenser. The under cabinet lights are stainless steel with xenon bulbs. The stove is dual oven, dual fuel with 5 burners. I have the in ceiling lights on dimmers as well as the undercabinet lights. The dimmers are electronic dual dimmers that fade in/out. I built a custom cookie rack cubby. I installed an in-wall powered phone jack. Hard wired lighted door bell with different chime for rear and front doors. Lots more but I can't remember it all right now.

• laxsupermom
    15 years ago

What an amazing transformation! Your appliances sparkle against the backdrop of those fantastic espresso cabinets. Just a fantastic execution of your DIY project. This gives me hope with my upcoming DIY. Crack open a bottle and enjoy!(maybe, it's too early for a bottle, how about a mimosa?)

• msrose
    15 years ago

Wow, the green paint looks even more beautiful with the dark cabinets. Did you use the same color of green paint in the rest of the house?

Laurie

• old_skool
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was a little frustrated that the other walls looked so similar in color in the pictures. I took the pictures at night so that might be the issue.

The other walls are Dried Fava, which has some green in it, but is a much different color than the kitchen walls.

It is 8112 DRIED FAVA which is a Martha Stewart color from Sherwin Williams.

• charlikin
    15 years ago

I noticed that the paint color in the dining room looked different from the kitchen - a kind of "sagier" green. Beautiful - they look great together.

Overall - wow. What a *beautiful* kitchen! I love the dark cabinets, white countertops, green walls - can't wait to see it with the backsplash!!!

I can't believe you did all of this yourself. What a great feeling of accomplishment you must have! Congratulations!!

• iris16
    15 years ago

Really really beautiful. What a change for the better. Gives me hope that mine is possible.

• old_skool
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Also a feeling of being tired. :D

It has been a lot of tedious labor with a good measure of handwringing. However, as I completed each stage, the feeling that it would all work out increased. Now, I would love for it to "just be done." But it really is all about the details so I just need to jump in and get it done.

It has taken a very long time but mainly because of waiting in between the working. For example, we waited to address the backsplash until the cabinets and counter tops were installed so we could be sure we would like our choice.

Originally I wanted to do magnetic stainless steel back splash, but I am glad I abandoned that idea and went for glass subway tile. We chose Emenee Everest and of course after waiting two weeks for a sample, we learn it is on backorder. :(

This picture does not do it justice. It is a range of semi transparent sage green colors mixed with some white and some grey. It looks like it was made for our kitchen color scheme:

{{gwi:1884834}}

Trying to fit all that neat stuff under the sink was a huge challenge. We don't have a framed outside wall, it is all brick, so I had to bring all the plumbing and electrical into the cabinet itself. We had to fit the large disposal, traps for both sinks, electrical, plumbing for dishwasher and the faucet as well as the filter and heater tank for the filtered water dispenser. Add to that the air switch and you can imagine it was some tricky work inside that small cabinet. I will admit to cursing more than once. :)

We also had to build the cabinets in front of an air vent so we redirected it into the sink cabinet base. This means I had to seal the hole in the cabinet that goes through the floor for the plumbing. I used some metal flashing and metal insulating tape to create a sealed tube through the floor and cabinet.

We had to abandon the idea of the slide out trash can. But luckily we can fit a small trashcan in there as well as a few cleaning supplies.

I will say that the Black & Decker complete guide books, this forum and the DIY network had a lot to do with my success in this project.

I feel like we certainly learned by our mistakes too though. Orchestrating the whole project on a busy schedule combined with waiting around for ordered items to arrive presented a time challenge. I think if it had taken another week we might have been pulling our hair out. :)

We did buy four new cabinets. One for over the microwave because it was small enough to boost the microwave and allow us to fit the pot filler in there comfortably. The other one was the kitchen sink cabinet. Our old cabinet was 27" wide with a single 25" wide sink. That was decidedly too small. So I found a nice 16 ga sink that was affordable in a 30" size and a sink cabinet that matched in a 30" size.

I know you are thinking that doesn't work. Well it did but was tricky for sure. We didn't have room for a larger sink cabinet but wanted a large sink.

The other two cabinets were the ones above the sink on the wall. There is a funny story there but it is a bit long so I don't think I will type it out now.

• iris16
    15 years ago

Can you give details of how you transformed the cabinets you reused? Thanks

• old_skool
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kathleen. I feel bad because I forget her user name here but her kitchen was a big hit.

This is what she told me:

Supplies:
    Zinsser 1-2-3 Bullseye Deep Tint (tinted to match paint as closely as
    possible)
    Benjamin Moore Satin Impervo Alkyd in Bittersweet Chocolate
    Purdy angled brushes for oil paint
    Thick plastic or canvas dropcloths
    Mineral spirits (for clean-up)
    Sandpaper
    Soap/water

1. Remove doors. Place them in your basement or garage (if it's not
    dusty/humid) on dropcloths. Keep good track of the order of the doors to
    make re-hanging easy.
    2. Clean and lightly sand everything.
    3. Remove dust with a tack cloth.
    4. Prime doors using a thin coat of Zinsser. Let dry overnight.
    5. Rest each door on its bottom edge. Do not paint that edge ‹ you¹ll do it
    once the doors are re-hung.
    6. Paint the backs first with a thin coat of Satin Impervo. Thin coats give
    more of a handrubbed look and also avoid drips. If you do see some drips,
    try to catch them early ‹ once the paint starts to dry, you¹ll make a mess
    trying to smooth them out. Let dry at least overnight.
    7. Paint the fronts in the same way.
    8. Let cure for as long as you can stand it. A week would be ideal.
    9. In the meantime, paint the cabinet boxes. I didn¹t paint the insides, and
    I¹ve never regretted it.
    10. After a week¹s gone by, re-hang the doors. Paint the bottom edge of
    each. Do any touch-up.
    11. Depending on your wood, the paint may keep absorbing in certain places.
    I kept the paint can in my kitchen for a month, doing quick touch-ups
    wherever necessary.

Here were a couple pictures I saved for inspiration:
    (I hope it is OK with her if I post these)
    {{gwi:1884836}}

{{gwi:1884838}}

• old_skool
    Original Author
    15 years ago

girlwithaspirin:

Here is a link that might be useful: her kitchen remodel link on this forum

• elvisandcallie
    15 years ago

Your kitchen is turning out beautifully. I actually remember your first posts when you were working out your layout.

• iris16
    15 years ago

old skool Thanks so much. So the wood grain shows thru a little but the color is covered up?

• Yvonne B
    15 years ago

Wow - it's stunning!! I really like the new layout.

• old_skool
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The cabinet grain is completely shown. Surprising considering there is primer and paint on it. But the original color is completely covered. I love it. Couldn't have asked for a better result.

Here is the layout before:
    {{gwi:1884840}}

Here is the layout after:
    {{gwi:1884842}}

• iris16
    15 years ago

Thanks a million times. So helpful!