Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theresse_gw

Right forum to ask about kitchen speakers?

theresse
13 years ago

I'd like to pay to have some wired in from the living room stereo (e.g. up from under the basement and through walls or cabinets). I have a choice of surface mounted or recessed. I love the idea of having the same music in the kitchen during a party w/ some higher quality base than my little kitchen c.d. player offers...love the idea of that consistency throughout the first floor.

Do we have any audiophiles in the kitchen?? ;)

Comments (15)

• Buehl
    13 years ago

We installed flush-mounted speakers in the Kitchen and DR when we remodeled. You can see them in this picture if you look closely.

Here's a pre-wall paint pic with a closeup of the speakers & recessed lights

• doonie
    13 years ago

We are using the same speakers as buehl. It was too complicated for us to wire into the family room receiver, since we would have had to figure out different zones. So we got a second receiver to operate the kitchen and outdoor speakers. It's a Yamaha receiver and we got an ipod dock to go with it. Plus we are installing a 46" Samsung LED over by our kitchen table, which will also use the second receiver. That receiver will be housed in our pantry.

• plllog
    13 years ago

I have similar flush ceiling mount as well, throughout my house. Speaker technology has improved vastly over the years. Audiophilic speakers would be wasted in a kitchen, IMO. The ones I have sound very good, without noticeable flaws, and with full color, but are inexpensive (retail significantly under $500 each (I don't know the actual current price)). That is, inexpensive compared with audiophilic. I find I don't have spare time I want to devote to sitting and listening to music, unless it's go out to a concert, so my big speakers are stored away. :)

The best thing I did, just prior to the remodel, was add a wired controller to the kitchen. It's wall mounted away from the mess, and controls all the components that are modern enough not to need someone to physically put media in.

My current fave for prepping dinner is XM Caliente. The beats are great for driving work forward, while the melodies are romantic enough to bring the yummy.

• chicagoans
    13 years ago

Our renovation touched many rooms so we took the opportunity when the walls were open to install a system with 5 zones of speakers. (Kitchen and DR are 2 of the zones.) Our speakers are flush with the ceiling.

We love it and would highly recommend it. We can listen to several different sources (CD, iPod, movie, TV, radio) in each of the zones. So the kids can listen to their music in the basement or outside while we play ours in the kitchen or family room. I especially like having the iPod docking stations (there are 2): when we have a party, we can play our song lists or have our music loving friends bring their iPods.

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

theresse -
    Look into the new wireless sound systems ... you can transmit music from any sound system to any other sounde system, so no expense of wiring.

And they are not expensive.

• vpierce
    13 years ago

We have the Polk Audio RC80i In-Ceiling Speakers and think they are fine. If you have high-speed internet access and a router, check out the Sonos music system. We've had it for a couple of weeks and it's great....

• bostonpam
    13 years ago

I got the kitchen and DH got the home automation system which included 6 zone sound system. In the kitchen we have speakers in the ceiling like buehl. In other rooms we have them in walls. Not quite wired yet. All is recessed.

• focylrac
    13 years ago

We just put a pair of Polk MC-80's in our kitchen ceiling. Now we have music across that section of our house from a largish family room thru kitchen and then a computer room. Choice of music can be controlled from either the computer, iPod, stereo receiver, cable, etc... LOVE IT! Sound FILLS that space. I am sooo glad we put them in!

• theresse
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lots to think about- thank you everyone! I don't mean I need audiophile speakers per se, I just mean I'd like to hear from someone w/ audiophile tendencies. ;) Sounds like a few of you do!

We're actually working ourselves away from wireless, but otherwise of course wireless would be something to think about.

I'll look into the brand names you mentioned, thank you! I really only need a 2-zone system (hopefully will cost less!). Kitchens may not have the best acoustics but I definitely want the option of having the music be the exact same as in the living room (with a reasonably good sound compared to the tiny stereo we presently have - which truthfully isn't bad sounding so I don't think I can go wrong).

A man came over from a local store and gave a free estimate on what it might cost to wire everything up. The wiring alone would be $70/hour and would take 2-3 hours. It's worth it, which is not to say I won't try to find someone who charges less per hour but is still experienced. The electrician that was over doing the kitchen charges $90/hour although he might do it in less time!

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

After reading zillions of ceiling speaker reviews I found some great reviews on some little known speakersÂHD-R80 High Definition in-ceiling speakers w/8" drivers, cost, $179.00 a pair. I wanted a new Pioneer Elite receiver as well but ended up buying a nice used Rotel 7.1 on EBay. The sound is incredible for what I spent and my only complaint is not on the speakers but on the fact that the Rotel does not seem to pick up radio stations well but otherwise helps with an over all great sound. We also bought some quality speaker wire at Home Depot that I think is much better than monster cable/wire at a much cheaper price (donÂt skimp on wire for ceiling speakers). Google those ceiling speakers, for the price you will be more than happy and people will think you spent three or four times the price.

• brianhs
    13 years ago

A few tips:

We installed a couple of Paradigm SA-15R-SM speakers, they are basically stereo speakers in one enclosure (2 tweeters, 1 midrange) http://www.paradigm.com/en/reference/speaker_inwall_ceiling-specification-34-2-6-14.paradigm

They are amazing. You should run one 4 conductor cable to each speaker- i bought at monoprice.com and the price was a steal and quality was great (one tip is even if you use regular speakers still run 4 conductor wire just in case they damage the wire or something you have extra pair- its so cheap at monoprice no reason not to)

If you want, you can home run that back to basement or wherever, and put a sonos and cable box there. Run the audio out from the cable box to the sonos, then you can listen to everything from the speakers if you want. Add a harmony radio remote and you are good to go, no boxes/wires/equip at all in kitchen.

Unless your kitchen is really huge, i don't see any point in separate R and L speakers- these Paradigms work great and they play as loud as you want-

• dyno
    13 years ago

I went with RBH which US based and sells only to pro installers. Bought a case of 6 speakers locally for $200 though the msrp is much higher.

In ceiling is never going to sound great in a relative sense so I would budget accordingly. If installing yourself be sure to use proper gauge FT4 wire rated for in wall use.

• cpawarrior
    13 years ago

Hi all: My first post to this amazing group! We are doing a Kitchen remodel and thought of wired speakers while the walls were open. Spoke to several folks and decided wireless was the way to go. Seems wireless technolgy is getting better. Here is a link..hope I attached correctly:-)

Here is a link that might be useful: info on wireless

• tracey_b
    13 years ago

If you're gonna buy speakers--try monoprice.com. Great prices and great reviews. I placed my order just the other day for 9 prs of speakers for our new house's whole-house audio (including kitchen).