Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
so much talk about BS. here is a simple and cheap tile idea

Posted by raro (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 29, 11 at 2:45

Though I'd share a pic of the tile pattern I devised for the upstairs bathroom. It utilizes the least expensive white Datile 4x4 and 2x4 tiles in a hopefully interesting pattern. The idea was that the squares are the background and the rectangles are like paths running through the squares. The paths take a couple of right angles here and there. Just some food for thought for an economical use of tile in a different way.

Photobucket

It is kind of hard to get the full effect in this shot but you can get the idea.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: so much talk about BS. here is a simple and cheap tile idea

That's a clever way to get some interest that doesn't scream at you and that uses a lower cost tile. Very creative. But I'd expect nothing less from you. ;)

o

I can see that not only in your kitchen, but also in a bathroom where you want to use a lot of tile at a budget cost. Is the pattern somewhat random as it appears or is there an overall repeat?

o

The pattern is random but there are some rules inherent here. Rules are that grout lines should not match up between squares and rectangles; spaces between runs of rectangles are not even; and corners of runs need to be laid down first so that the rectangular tiles are whole at the turns of the corners. this is the paper design that I made.

Photobucket

o

Love it!

o

neat!

o

I can see this as the basis for the Tetris tile backsplash Adrienne2011 wanted to see!

o

I love it. And I might just unashamedly steal it when we eventually redo our bathroom(s). But, man, that was a lot of work to measure and cut the "underpass" sections of the 2 x 4 tiles - but it worked out perfectly.

o

Fabulous. I think you have a mosaic gene in you : )

o

I approve wholeheartedly. You not only added interest to cheap tile but you also created something that is not of a "kit" or part of a passing fad. It will have a much more long-lasting appeal.

o

I am glad that I was able to contribute something. You all have given a lot to me!

There was very little cutting. I told the tile guys to order 2/3 of the area for squares and 1/3 for the subway tiles. The square and the rectangle tiles were the cheapest Datile white tiles that they make. the only cutting was at the edges. The grout lines were a little tight because 2 2" rectangles plus grout is wider than 4" of the squares. My paper copy shows more cutting because I was sloppy. The tiles show few cuts - at the edges of each wall and where rectangle runs cross eachother. Other design element - when runs crossed eachother I "wove" them so that they alternated with the horizontal runs going over or under the vertical runs.

this allowed me to save money that I then spent in the master bath and the guest bath, but that is a topic for the bath forum.

o

I really like it and I am definitely going to steal it for somewhere.

If you wanted to make it a tiny bit more emphatic, use matte for one shape and gloss for the other.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here