Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yoyoma_gw

Trash - Foot Pedal AND Soft-Close?

yoyoma
15 years ago

Does anyone know a way to get a pullout to open with a foot pedal or something, but still be able to use soft-close to close it? It seems this would be quite useful because when I'm done throwing out the trash, I could just close it by bumping it with my hip since my hands might very well be dirty.

Comments (8)

• lowspark
    15 years ago

If you're talking about the Haefele foot pedel, No. The foot pedal & soft close are working at cross purposes.

The foot pedal works with a bungee cord whose function is to keep the pullout open. What keeps it closed is a strong magnet. Kicking the pedal releases the magnet, allowing the bungee cord to relax, and the pullout to open.

Soft close works to keep the drawer closed. As soon as the drawer reaches a certain point, the soft close mechanism is pulling it the rest of the way to make it close.

One trying to open, one trying to close, one will lose, and my guess is that it will be the soft close.

You can still close it with using your hands, I do sometimes with my hip or knee. You just have to follow it through all the way till the magnet catches and it's fully closed.

• jbrazmania
    15 years ago

I really want a foot pedal opener on our trash/recycling after seeing a ridiculously expensive version at a showroom. Does anyone know if the Haefele works with INSET doors????

Thanks,
    Jonna

• boxiebabe
    15 years ago

YoYoMa: I just posted the same question a few days ago, and was told that you can have one or the other, but not both. I think I'd prefer the soft-close over the foot pedal, but that is just me. I am still investigating a good soft-close for the trash pull out, but will be interested to see if any are recommended on your thread.

• lowspark
    15 years ago

Jonna,
    As far as I can tell, the answer is no. The foot pedal consists of a strong magnet that attaches to the underside of the cab which attracts a metal plate that is attached to inside the door of the trash cabinet. The pedal itself hangs below the door inside the toekick area. If you have an inset door, the frame of the cabinet is going to be in the exact spot where the pedal itself needs to be.

• jbrazmania
    15 years ago

Thanks Lowspark. I'm SOOOO bummed!!! :-(

It's such a simple thing, but it's one of the top "wishes" for my new kitchen. I really don't want to have to open my beautiful new cabinets with grubby hands (or my kids' grubby hands). The foot pedal is one of the main reasons I agreed to have the trash and recycling INSIDE a cabinet. Oh well . . . maybe someone else out there on this awesom website knows of another solution??????

• rosie
    15 years ago

Know what you mean. My choice (I'm a very messy cook) was for the foot pedal.

• lowspark
    15 years ago

I'd bet money that someone who's pretty handy could figure out how to set this up for you. It's just a matter of engineering it right. What needs to happen is that the pedal needs to be far enough down that it's in the toe kick area where you can push it with your foot, while the magnet and metal plate are up where the cabinet door is.

In other words, there needs to be some kind of extension for the pedal from the magnet. It's a fairly simple mechanism, not a lot to it. So customizing or somehow building your own to work on the inset cabs should be doable.

• jbrazmania
    15 years ago

I'll have to take a closer look and see if I can figure it out. I've had trouble locating old threads on the foot pedal topic when I do a search. I know I've read about it in the past, but they don't seem to pop up. I must be doing something wrong.....