Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
granite laminate edge

Posted by camii41 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 4, 13 at 2:02

i had a granite countertop made for my bathroom. i had them put a laminated edge on it to go from 2cm to 4cm. i can see a definite white line where the two meet. i don't have the name of the granite - it was a remnant and they did not have the name listed. right now it is sitting on it's face waiting for install so i cannot take a pic. it's a dark colour with grey, green blues and i was wondering if ager tiger would be not only a good sealer but also help with camouflaging the edge.

also this will be a diy install as it is a fairly small piece. i bought silicone to glue it to the plywood as per posts i read here. is a line all around the perimeter and circles/dabs all over the inside the way to go?

thanks so much
cam

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: granite laminate edge

The line you mentioned is the result of an improper lamination job.
The Ager is not a sealer, it is simply a dye to darken or change the color of the stone.
The light colored line is caused by one or two things, improper prep/procedure and improper adhesive color. The ager will not affect the adhesive at all but it may create a dark line where it contacts the improperly prepped stone. So you will have to test an area first.
Try touching it up with a Sharpie or have it redone.

o

My apologies, I confused the Tiger Ager with another product.

Tiger Ager is an enhancing sealer, it might help your issue.

o

make SURE the caulk you use to set the piece is 100% silicone. some caulks have an oil component that will actually bleed thru the stone and show a line visible from the top.

a bead around the perimeter of the top is fine to set the stone. If you want a real professional job take the time to tape the underside of the stone 1/16 - 1/8" from the cabinet and the cabinet 1/16 - 1/8" from the granite. lay a small bead and then use anything ewith a sharp corner to push the bead into the crack between the stone and cabinet. (It's easiest to tape the cabinet before the top is in place. Use the brown painters tape as regular masking tape will sometimes damage the cabinet finish.)

Remove the tape and you have an almost invisible bead. (Schlocks will lay a bead and smear it in with a finger. Smeared caulk is a clear indicator of a low quality install.)

o

kevdp4 - thanks. i knew about the sharpie bit, i am just a bit worried about making it look worse. but i will just dab a bit at a time. i have to find out what kind of granite it is before i seal or not seal it. thanks for your help

o

thanks for the install info. i made sure to get 100% silicone. and hubby read your info on how to install. hopefully tomorrow is the day.

o

ok so i totally got my knickers in a knot over nothing. (there were many worse problems in the bath)
the granite went in great. we installed ourselves, plywood base and 100% silicone to tack it down. the edge was looking a bit funky but the sharpie trick is great. thanks to all

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here