Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
contactlina777

Need Help: Delicatus White Antique or Alaska White Granite

ContactLina777
9 years ago

I am stuck with indecisiveness in regards to granite slabs and I need to purchase one STAT. It's between Delicatus White Antique or Alaska White granite.

I am planning to rehab the kitchen and 3 bath countertops. I have all white cabinetry.

I am looking for a bright clean white cool theme. Backsplash will be either white subway tiles or marble.

The delicatus is leathered/antique (non-polished) and the alaska white is polished. Color wise the delicatus white has white, black, and grey. The alaska white has cream, brown, and traces of buttercream.

Questions:

1. Is polish or antique/leathered/matte better maintenance wise and which one does not stain?

2. Which do you think looks better with white cabinets?

Please help me with my decision! I appreciate any input or feedback.

**Please note that the delicatus white polished is a completely different slab then delicatus white antique. The polished delicatus has lots of yellow, whereas the antique has no yellow.

Left is the delicatus white antique and the right is alaska white.

Delicatus White Granite

Alaska White Granite

Alaska White again

This post was edited by ContactLina777 on Wed, Jun 4, 14 at 16:42

Comments (27)

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

I really like that last slab. will you need more than 1 slab? if so, do they have another one close to that one?

• ContactLina777
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, surprisingly, I will only need 2 slabs, which will cover my kitchen, my island, and 3 baths!

They have plenty in stock to choose from.

Thanks for your input, Steph! :)

• ContactLina777
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks lazygardens for your input!

I am leaning towards the delicatus white antique. It has a matte finish. Is matte/leathered ok for kitchen? I've seen in bathrooms but not in kitchens.

The delicatus white polish looks completely different and has a lot of yellow. Delicatus white antique has no yellow at all!

Have you seen the alaska slab in person? The hints of yellow are not so obvious in these photos but you can see it in person.

• BirchPoint
    9 years ago

My choice would be delicatus white antique. Nice slabs!

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

matte/leathered looks awesome in a kitchen. It gives it a distinguished, established, always been there look. I just saw this finish on granite in a 7 million dollar show house and it was fabulous. I loved it. I had seen it lots of times at the fabricators and didn't think I would like it but when I saw it in a real kitchen it was swoon worthy.

• nmjen
    9 years ago

I really like the delicatus white. We just put in leathered/antiqued/satin finish black granite in our kitchen, and I love it. No idea how I'll feel about it after living with it for a long time, but for now, I'm a fan!

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

I have white leathered granite in my kitchen and I lovethe way it looks and I love it as a work surface. So the leathered granite would be my choice. Visually I like the Delicatus better.

• ardcp
    9 years ago

they are both gorgeous and neither would be a bad choice, imo!

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

With white cabinets I vote for the delicatus antique. They're both very nice!

• sprtphntc7a
    9 years ago

any way to get a cab sample up against the granite?? that could change everything, there a so many shades of white..

i love the last pic, would try to get 2 slabs like that...not the two u are showing...

the delicatus is, for me, just a bit boring...

if u are doing white cabs, white subway and the delicatus, to me its just a big white blob...where the alaska will give u some contrast which is nice/needed....i would not do marble BS with either of those granites...

what are your floors and wall color?? im assuming u are using polished chrome for fixtures??? maybe with the floors and different BS, the delicatus will work?? again, sample of cab would be great and other info would be most helpful

HTH

• pricklypearcactus
    9 years ago

While all the slabs are gorgeous, I'm particularly drawn to the Delicatus slab. Absolute perfection!

• OOTM_Mom
    9 years ago

Especially if you are doing a glossy backsplash, I'd go for the leathered more matte finish on the counters. Both glossy would be too much shine for me. I like my leathered counters. Only had a few months.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Another vote for the Delicatus. Lovely.

• musicgal
    9 years ago

They really are both very beautiful choices. I like the antique Delicatus for your purposes.

• Iowacommute
    9 years ago

I like the Delicatus. The last Alaska slab you posted looks just like camo to me that you go hunting in. So if you like to hunt that may be the way to go.

• ContactLina777
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks ladies and gents for all your feedback! I sincerely appreciate you guys taking the time to write to me.

I couldn't find much online regarding the durable and look of leathered/matte/antique/satin granite countertops so this is very helpful.

Glad for those who went with leathered finishes are happy with your purchase.

Now the million dollar question is why do they have so many names for all the same thing? LOL

• Teehee1984
    9 years ago

Funny because I was weighing those two myself....

I think this is Alaska White next to a creamy off white cab. For comparison. I like the Alaska........Both are good choices, but it might depend on the white of your cabinets.

• ContactLina777
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sprtphntc,

Prior to narrowing it down to these 2, I almost went with white quartz with the sparkles but then thought it through and I didn't want a huge white cloud with no character at all. Then my next choice was marble because I love the look of marble and white but as you may know, it's a soft stone and etches.

Now I still love a white bright kitchen but wouldn't mind some dark accents which is why I ended up with these 2 slabs, which have some black in it.

Yes, I will have polished chrome fixtures and appliances are stainless steel and white. i.e., white toaster, stainless steel vitamix.

My kitchen is quite small so please don't judge! Island piece will be bigger.

We just moved in this past January! Love our house as the living room has cathedral ceilings and master has vaulted. Just wish the kitchen was bigger but I have to work with what I have.

Here are photos of my kitchen:

• ContactLina777
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Way off topic but since I just purchased my first home, here are some photos.

Photo of our cathedral ceiling just for kicks!

And new wood floors which has hints of blonde. Took forever to make a decision on wood floors as well!

• ContactLina777
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Teehee1974, I have been looking at countertops for months now. Which one did you end up with?

First it was quartz only (white quartz) then marble then quartzite then prefab and now I am left with these two choices!

I'd rather get the huge slabs and have a fabricator make the finishing touches and seal it.

I am going with straight edge rather then bull nose.

I just want something timeless, modern, and bright!

• ContactLina777
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Iowacommute,

Too funny! LMAO

No, I do not like to hunt but if I did, I would hunt the coyotes in our canyon (I'm kidding).

My backyard faces a canyon and the coyotes have eaten some of our furry friends. :(

• ContactLina777
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Update on color scheme of Alaska granite

So I spoke with a slab consultant via telephone not too long ago and the color scheme for Alaska granite are as follows:

Cream, brown, black, and traces of buttercream

• Teehee1984
    9 years ago

Contactlina777

I haven't decided yet!!!! It is so hard. I like the Alaska white, but I really like coliseum for contrast. (Photo). I haven't seen it before and the pix don't do it justice. It is beautiful and would help tie in my wood floors. It is so much money and such a big decision I'm being (overly) careful. I am also considering corian believe it or not....marble look for the messy cook (me). My island is too big for other stones.

• sprtphntc7a
    9 years ago

CL777,

totally understand...

your kitchen is not small at all, its bright, airy and open, very nice..

i still think you should bring a sample of your cabs to put up against any stone u choose...it really will help u decide...

my advice to you and anyone trying to pick granite is:
    You will know it when u see it.!!! i did the same thing and looked at least 30 slabs if not more..some i really liked but i just could not pull the trigger, i just didn't LOVE it. and when u are spending that much money, you better love it. .when i saw mine, magma gold/sedna (2 names for same stone), i knew that was it, i did not want to look anymore. the counter guy wanted to take me to another slab yard and I said "nope, this is it"....trust me, u will know!!! another thing i did which really helped me decide is put a incandescent light up against the stone.. you really get the true colors of the stone. with fluorescents you don't.. that's if you are in an indoor slab yard, of course...

bring your cab sample, paint sample, floor sample and anything else u have because it will all help u decide!!

best of luck, i know its a tough decision :)

• Debbie Comerford-Lalonde
    4 years ago

thats what i keep telling my husband, that i will know my granite when i see it!

• Kelli M
    2 years ago

so what did you end up choosing? I know this is really old but I would love to see some pictures!