Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
atct86

JSI Cabinets (Looking for affordable, White, non-particle board)

Andrew
14 years ago

Has anyone heard or used them? I found Similar J.Mark Cabinets offered through Peak Auctioneering, but the white finish do not have auto closing drawers.

http://www.jsicabinetry.com/JSI_k_arlington.htm

Comments (40)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

From reading the website and the fact that they are "stocking manufacturers" and keep talking about "redistribution" I'd guess those are Chinese, so it's up to you.

• caryscott
    14 years ago

Everyone has their own bottom line but if you are worried about ply vs particleboard construction you should also be concerned with the thickness and quality of the plywood being used ( and how the cabinet is assembled). I would take an ANSI M2 rated particleboard over plywood of unknown origins every time and I bet I would get a much more durable cabinet. If you think plywood construction is a synonym for quality you nee to do some more research. In any case good luck with your search.

Home Depot Canada dumped Mills Pride for a Chinese RTA product that they have now had to get rid of after about 6 months because it was so awful. Good news is instead bring back Masco they have contracted with a Canadian company (Fabritec Kitchens) for their new RTA product - looks very nice. Definitely worth knowing where something comes from and who makes it (reputable companies manufacture in China but a lot of fly by night stuff happens as well).

• nessie1020
    14 years ago

These are Chinese RTA's also sold on eBay, I would forget them.

Here is a link that might be useful: eBay listing

• Andrew
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So where should I look for cabinets? Can custom be done for under $5k?

My kitchen is 16x9 and probably can only occupy one wall, or an L.

Whats wrong with those ebay ones?

Would particle board kraft-maid be the best solution?

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

I would google "Chinese drywall" for a start in understanding the problems that can come from the lack of oversight in manufacturing there. You have no way of knowing how much formaldehyde is going to be off-gassed from those, what caliber of plywood was used, what chemicals were used in the paint, etc.

I'd also give this thread a good, thorough read for lots of solutions for great kitchens that didn't cost an arm and a leg:

Here is a link that might be useful: under 20K kitchens

• pharaoh
    14 years ago

Go with IKEA.

• birkie_2006
    14 years ago

Check out IKEA cabinets. My flat packs (you assemble them) including Blum hardware, full extension/soft close drawers were under $3000. The total remodel was about $10,000 with almost half of that for installers for the cabs, range hood and lots of new electric. Go to the IKEAfans website (need to register)and search out Adel White, Stat White and Lindigo for some choices. Their kitchen cabinets rank high in Consumer Reports for value and after one year of hard use, mine still look brand new.

Here is a link that might be useful: Birkie's blog

• deedee-2008
    14 years ago

When looking for bathroom vanities, I came across JSI samples in one show-room. Their "white" vanities did not look like real, painted wood to me. I didn't choose them because they did not look well made. I would only buy something I could touch and feel in person.

• anon_girl
    14 years ago

We went with Canyon Creek. To us, its a local company (which was very important to us) and gets environmental awards. They were reasonable in price. I can't remember the final cost of the cabinets (which are being installed today) but the grand total of our entire kitchen remodel is about 25K which includes flooring and all new appliances.

Here is a link that might be useful: Canyon Creek

• mountaineergirl
    14 years ago

I'm not understanding the big deal about custom made cabinets. Stock cabinets come in so many shapes and sizes, all you need is ruler and you're in business.

I have relatively inexpensive white cabinets. They are not painted, they are thermo-foil (which many on this forum frown at) but they look great and no yellowing after 11 years. The shelving is 3/4 inch wood (not particle board), as well as the drawers. Drawers are dovetail, and are self-closing, as are the cabinet doors. I have 2 corner wall cabinets that have glass doors. I realize that they are 11 years old, but they cost me under $6000 then, and I have a ton of cabinets. I have a U-shaped kitchen with an island and then a desk on another wall. I think the brand is Welbourne, I went thru a kitchen designer, but you can get great looking white cabinets from Lowe's that have quality shelving and drawers (3/4 inches etc) that are inexpensive. They aren't custom, you just have to know how many of what size etc that you need. They have a virtual designer to help with that.

• nessie1020
    14 years ago

There are quite a few threads about the perils of Chinese RTA's here. IKEA is a very good source, if you do not like the door styles, you can use IKEA cab boxes and other doors ie: Scherrs. Also check out Maplecraft USA and affiliated sites and also Accent Building Products. They sell Marsh cab's, can get plywood construction, this site is easy to use and you can calculate the cost easily b/c all prices are online. They have offwhite, shaker style cabs, as well as other finishes. If you are interested in IKEA with other doors, I know of at least 5 door sources to check out. Happy planning!

Here is a link that might be useful: accent building products

• sue_ct
    14 years ago

The people who have used these cabinets and are happy with them on this forum, and there have been several, usually keep quiet for obvious reasons. The distrust of items of Chinese origin lately is understandable. The most vocal feel that Ikea is about the only budget version that is acceptable. I have JSI cabinets, and I am very happy with them. I used a local installer who had experience with those cabinets and I spoke to a number of people locally who were happy with them before coming to this forum and seeing that it was considered an unacceptable option.

Although I am happy, I would strongly advise you to order them assembled, NOT RTA. That goes for any cabinets. You don't have the jigs, clamps, etc. to put them together and get them square and well assembled.

I never posted my finished kitchen pictures, but here they are if it helps. I would warn you to get a sample drawer to make sure you like the glazing they use on those cabinets.

Before:

After:

Sorry, the southern exposure window makes it very difficult to take photos. The camera compensates for the very bright window by making everything else darker:

I certainly understand about formaldehyde and off gassing and everything, but unless you see or get something in writing about exactly where those other companies buy thier plywood and an assurance that they aren't using materials that also came from China, I don't know that you will end up with much different for boxes. The contractor who did my other work looked at the cabinets, he usually uses medallion, a brand often mentioned here, and he found only minimal differences in the two. Some things were better on these, such as finished ends that didn't need the addition of a panel. He measured the thickness of the plywood, and it was the same. His final comment to me was "if you decide to sell this house, it will be this kitchen that sells it". Keep in mind that he does kitchens also, and this was not his job. He only did the work opening the wall between the kitchen and living room.

Will these cabinets show well next to 50,000.00 painted cabinets? No. But if they are within your budget and Ikea isn't your style you may be very happy with them.

Sue

• agaya
    9 years ago

Hi Sue,

That is a beautiful Kitchen you have. What is the make & style of your cabinets? Is it Georgetown? Thanks.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

"I would strongly advise you to order them assembled, NOT RTA. That goes for any cabinets. You don't have the jigs, clamps, etc. to put them together and get them square and well assembled."

I have to disagree. The beauty of RTA is that when the cams pull the square-cut edges perpendicular, the boxes become self-squaring. The backs of RTA's have little structural strength. Their main purpose is to square the cabinet. Follow the directions and it's foolproof.

• feisty68
    9 years ago

I echo the advice to look at IKEA cabinets and to get advice from the ikeafans.com forum for design and installation. Doors can be stock or custom. IKEA particleboard is much denser than the big box stuff we used for a side project, and it adheres to higher European standards with respect to off-gassing. There will be a new line of IKEA kitchen cabinetry coming out (METOD in Europe), so the soon-to-be-old line has many sales going on making it even more affordable.

IIKEA cabinets really are a snap to assemble. Seriously.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

sue_ct, thank you for sharing. Your kitchen is very beautiful.

feisty68, thank you for sharing again about Ikea since I know they are having a sale right now. I need to get handy.

• feisty68
    9 years ago

Keep in mind also that there are many certified IKEA kitchen installers as well.

• SoJersyLife
    9 years ago

Beware Medallion does not honor their warranty! We purchased $18,000 of cabinets from them. Not one single cabinet out of the box is good. Open miters on every door & drawer front, cracks all over the place gaps inside the cabinets, and the stacked cabinets don't match up at all. The range hood is cracked and scratched so badly we didn't even take it out of the box all the way. They are only offering us $5,000 credit towards a new set of cabinets. #medallionfailsoncraftmanship

• Frank
    8 years ago

Hi Sue, Beautiful Kitchen. Thanks for sharing. We are planning to remodel our kitchen and are seriously considering the JSI cabinets. How have the cabinets held up since you had them installed? Do you know for sure that these cabinets are a product of China? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Frank.

• Ichabod Crane
    8 years ago

What is JSI's warranty? Who warranties them in your area.

Let's start with that.

• PRO
    Walcraft Cabinetry
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Correction: Since posting, we have been selling JSI Cabinetry for over a year now. What a great company and product. Much of the posting in here is from years back so be gracious...people do change! AND no such thing as Waterborne finishes with JSI. They are coated with Sherwin Williams conversion varnish. GREAT FINISH! All our reviews are from selling JSI cabinetry so check them out.

• Geraldine Jozwik
    3 years ago

JSI is now made in America since 2019 .

• PRO
    Walcraft Cabinetry
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

What issues did you have with JSI's quality? They're not made in China anymore. Nor are made in America :-).

• Geraldine Jozwik
    3 years ago

I’m looking for a really good quality cabinet . I thought JSI was it but now I don’t want it. Is Thomasville classic by Home Depot good? Or Schrock or UltraCraft?

• Susan Murin
    3 years ago

My custom cabinets from a local cabinetmaker were very well priced (half the price of the Belmont cabs I almost got) and they owned the whole process from measure to install to putting on the hardware. Custom paint and stain plus all the bells and whistles. At least check out that option. Before and after, below.

• Geraldine Jozwik
    3 years ago

Absolutely Stunning cabinetry !
    It’s too late now to find a cabinet man I need them soon . Like four weeks tops.

• Geraldine Jozwik
    3 years ago

Wow that’s terrific advise thank you .

• PRO
    Walcraft Cabinetry
    3 years ago

In my experience, that is the bigger issue. So many people are unhappy just because of the people they bought the cabinets from, and their lack of willingness to take care of the problem. Issues happen! Cabinets show up with damage, and there are other unforeseen issues. But will the company stick by you?

• Geraldine Jozwik
    3 years ago

True . Attitude and service is everything.

• PRO
    Central Cabinets LLC
    3 years ago

Don't buy JSI products, they cannot even support their dealers so figure how they would service the end users.

• PRO
    Walcraft Cabinetry
    3 years ago

@Central Cabinets LLC May I ask what happened? Are you a dealer?

• Neil Karamchandani
    3 years ago

@Central Cabinets LLC I would also love to know your experience. @Walcraft Cabinetry what has been your overall experience with them? How do they fare against others in their price range? A local cabinet company sells both JSI and Wolf cabinets, but recommended we go with JSI. We are thinking about their Designer line.

• PRO
    Central Cabinets LLC
    3 years ago

I wouldn't recommend JSI since their service level and quality went down hill. The company has no innovation compare to their peers.

• Christian La Salle
    3 years ago

JSI Cabinets are made in good old Fall River, Massachusetts !! They are an amazing American corporate success story. If one has problems with the cabinets, it is the dealer, NOT, the company. All wood (mdf door panel inserts), solid hinges, well finished, AND, you can get them shipped pre-assembled! Again, great company, find a reputable dealer, or better yet, pick them up from one of their warehouses.

https://www.jsicabinetry.com

• Christian La Salle
    3 years ago

Juneknows Nothing! I live 4 miles from the JSI Factory/Outlet-JSI=USA Proud

Mostly ALL Chevy and Ford parts are manufactured overseas too-BUT the vehicles are STILL American Made!!

Some folks want to spend big $$ on custom cabs ? Knock yaself out! Me, I'll take affordable quality, assembled in the U.S., and delivered on MY timeline!

• Stan N
    3 years ago

All the JSI RTA Cabinets I put in had "Made in Vietnam" stickers. This was late 2020. Two doors were warped and two doors of a mismatched chamfer, but Walcraft is great at sending replacements.

I have issues with their assembly style, (you have to get your angle bracket screws dead centered with no pre-drill to keep them square) most seemed to be decent quality, but a bit of slop in the tolerances took a bit of extra finagling to assemble a few of the cabinets properly.

PS - love the ~1/2" plywood backs, made it easy to put way too many screws into the studs!