Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjzucker7

Brainstorm backsplash ideas with me, please

szruns
9 years ago

Hi!

My U shaped kitchen will have natural oak (5" planks probably) flooring, natural cherry shaker style cabinets (with some glass fronts) stacked to the 10' ceilings, lots (4 32-36" wide) of tall (6" above counter to 10" below ceilings) windows, relatively fewer upper cabinets. A good size (7' x 42") central island, and also a 7' long peninsula on one side of the U.

Total kitchen space is about 17'6" by 17', but that doesn't include the part of the peninsula that backs into the dining room or the walk in pantry. So, to me, it's pretty open and airy.

Lighting will be a plenty -- tons of daylight, plus UC LEDs, upper (stacked) glass front cabinets tape light LEDs for display objects, LED cans (probably CREE 800 lumen ones), and pendants over the island and peninsula.

SS appliances and a white (Kohler whitehaven) large farm sink under one of the windows.

I haven't made a firm choice on counters, but I am pretty sure we'll go with granite -- not really white or really black since I want the camouflage effect for our messy lifestyle. I need to go to the local granite shop and start browsing, but I would guess we'll likely choose something with a moderate amount of movement/noise. I might choose a different material for the island and/or the raised part of the peninsula (seating), possibly a wood (walnut or cherry) for the eating/serving part of the peninsula and/or possibly a different granite (something flashier or just a different color) for the island.

Given all that, it seems like the gardenweb intelligence on other threads I've read is that I probably should have a relatively quiet backsplash. I do want tiled backsplash, as we are messy cooks, and I don't want to be washing paint all the time. I was browsing subway tiles, and am tempted by crackle glass subway tiles -- most likely in a simple brick pattern. I'd choose some mellow light natural shade of green or something like that that would coordinate or at least not add a big different color/tone to whatever granite we choose.

Does that seem like a reasonable approach? Would a plain non-glass tile be a lot better? What should I be considering?

Any other insights on what to consider for the counters?

Thanks for your advice.

:)

Comments (9)

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

Having just gone through this I strongly recommend not even thinking about this until the counter is not only chosen but installed. Nothing we thought we would like originally ended up working. Even tile we brought with us when we chose the stone didn't look good in the kitchen after the stone was installed.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Christina's advice is spot on (and her counters & backsplash are perfect together). What I chose before countertop install and held up to the slab in the stoneyard & what I chose after install - totally different.
    You might want to post a new thread asking for pics of cherry shaker cabinets, to get an idea of the overall look of countertops & backsplash that appeals to you. Or Houzz.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Ditto above comments. I'm glad I waited until countertops in since color wasn't exactly as I was initially thinking. They installed my countertop very close to wall (no gaps between counter and wall), so I won't feel pressed to get a backsplash up to hide any gaps.

• bob_cville
    9 years ago

As a card-holding member of the ABB club, I recommend that you install the cabinets and countertop, and then wait for inspiration to strike for the backsplash. (and wait and wait and wait)

• annettacm
    9 years ago

Here's something else to consider.... if there is a backsplash design or tile you love, choose your countertop with THAT in mind. For example, I have customers who love slate or a busy travertine, but they already picked and installed their busy granite and those two don't go together. I put in a busier New Venetian Gold, knowing that the veiny, busy tile I liked would have to be more subdued. In my next kitchen (!) I think I would do well with a single color, calming quartz and make my backsplash a little more exciting. Both are nice, in the end, though. You have to make one choice first to then make the other, either way.

• sas95
    9 years ago

I disagree with the advice given above, as I believe that the two elements (backsplash/counter) should be chosen together. This way you don't get locked in by your granite choice, and if you find tile you love you can choose a counter that works with it. There are too many people here that have been forced by their granite into the default of white or creamy subways-- I have nothing against white or creamy subway tile, but it should be by choice and not due to the tyranny of your countertop.

The backsplash I ended up with would never have worked if I hadn't coordinated it with my countertop choice at the outset. I'm a firm believer in the concept of coordinating all your major design elements at the outset for a more cohesive look.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

I started to look before my counters were in but waited on final decision until afterwards - even though I thought I picked what I wanted - I changed my mind after seeing it in real life.

I think it is important to decide the kitchen diva - do you want the counter of BS to be the star - usually, you can't have both.

Bob - we need to get you out of the ABB club!

• ellendi
    9 years ago

Perfectly said Sas95. One would think that with all the tiles out there, it would be a finch to pick one to match the granite. Unfortunately this is often not the case.

• dodge59
    9 years ago

The best 2 looking backsplashes, that always match the granite that you choose, are a backsplash of the same granite, or NO backsplash at all.

Granite does not have grout lines, so not only do you have a color difference by choosing a tile or whatever but you go from a nice smooth surface to something with "Butt Ugly" grout lines and all broken up, (right above the granite) instead of 1 solid piece like the granite is.

I mean, look at the work and the post you see about getting a "perfect seam" on adjoining granite pieces, and all the grief when the seam is not perfect~~~yet that same poster will have right above the granite, (something called a backsplash) that is a Missmash of tiles or whatever and grout and a ton of imperfect lines!!! (or even if perfect lines), they are still ugly to me!!!!

Gary