Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdodnc

Is a filler needed for corner cabinets

mdod
14 years ago

I've got a couple of questions about frameless corner cabinets. Slowly but surely, I'm pinning down details on my cabinet plans.

If I have and angled corner cabinet (wall or base), do I need to include a filler between the regular cabinets and the corner cabinet?

Also, is there any reason why I shouldn't use an angled corner base with a super susan over a pie cut corner cabinet with a super susan? I don't see many kitchens with angled base corners like that. I'm probably going with a laminate countertop if that makes a difference.

If I go with a pie cut corner cabinet, I have to decide between a miter, butt or pie joint for the door. Is it just personal preference on how you want the stiles to look in the corner or is there a functional advantage for one style over the other?

Comments (9)

• jenocurley
    14 years ago

If your corner cabinet has a 17 inch front like mine does then your laminate edge choices could be limited. At least mine were to the straight one, beveled and I cant remember but I think there was one other. I personally like the straight edge anyway but it is something you may need to consider.

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

"I chose to use the pie cut cabinets on both the top and the bottom cabinets in my corner"
    nkkp - your upper corner cab isn't on an angle? i don't think I've ever seen one that wasn't on an angle - unless left dead in the corner...

am I misunderstanding this? if not, can you post a pic of it?

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

she posted with a pic of her corner cab and side cab/drawers. a bit close... check out her post - is still on p1

• rhome410
    14 years ago

I'm not a fan of the diagonal door for the look or the function. If you use the 90 degree, pie cut option, you have more floor space and longer counter run in each direction, making the work area more spacious, it seems to me. Corners of counters are already deep and the diagonal makes them even harder to reach and utilize. It also seems easier to access the contents of the cabinet with the piecut shape.

You can do a pie cut upper just like a lower to avoid the diagonal door, and without having a dead corner. It can either hinge in the middle or, I think, if done carefully, you can have doors that meet in the center. That might be a custom solution, though...and even with the door that hinges in the middle, I'm not sure if it's an option with all cabinet lines.

• bmorepanic
    14 years ago

There can be a minor issue with angled base and "pie cut" uppers. The angled base makes YOU further from the corner, so reaching into the pie cut might be an issue if you're height challenged.

• mdod
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the comments!

The concern about the filler is only with the angled corners because these will be Scherrs frameless with full overlay doors. I currently have an angled corner cabinet on top and a pie cut Lazy Susan base. I don't have a filler on top but these doors are not full overlay so they won't interfere with each other.

BTW, I know I have to have a filler next to the walls but I don't really understand how you handle filler with full overlay doors. Do you normally build it out so it is flush with the door front? If the doors go edge to edge, it seems like it would look funny to have a filler section that is back 3/4", especially in the middle of a run. Scherrs can make any size so I wouldn't need any filler in the middle, except maybe with an angled corner.

I hear you on the angled base cabinet making it harder to reach the corner. I also have an aesthetic issue with a single wall angled cabinet when all the other angles in the kitchen are 90 degrees. I wasn't sure if duplicating the angle on the base cabinets would be better or worse but I feel like a blind corner in a wall cabinet would be much less accessible than in a base cabinet so I'm hesitant to lose the angled wall cabinet. OTOH, I've got two narrow wall cabinets on each side of the angled corner and making that a blind corner would give me wider cabinets with more flexibility of use.

Jenocurley, I was wondering if an angled base would limit my laminate edge options. That may be the deciding factor. I hate square edges because they chip so easily. Does anyone know if you have to have a miter corner if you don't get a square edge? My current counter doesn't have a miter but it has a wood trim edge and I don't think I want that again. Also, can they do a miter and put a special edge with the weird shape like I've got here:

The lines are where seams are. I'm not thrilled with a miter but a straight seam one foot from the end isn't great either (the one along the bump out isn't really an issue). I think I'd prefer a miter if I can get some type of rounded edge with that.

Finally, here's a picture of the Lazy Susan door options that I was asking about.

I was wondering if there was a difference in ease of use or durability between the different styles. My current lazy Susan has the door that turn with it. I thought it would be easier than opening a door but it seems like people here don't have problems with the doors and I can get a 32" Super Susan where my current lazy Susan is only 26" across. I also think I'd prefer to open the door and look inside over spinning the thing to see what comes around. It never fails that no matter which way I turn it, what I want is the farthest from where I start.

• nkkp
    14 years ago

Yes, I have that type of corner unit as the wall and as the base unit. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow and upload it for you. I think my doors are the pie style, but I'll have to check to make sure. For the fillers, We did add an extra piece on top of the main filler to flush it out even to the cabinet doors. One thought, You don't need a 3" filler. We ripped ours down to about 1" in most places.

nancy

• mdod
    Original Author
    14 years ago

A picture would be great Nancy. So you have a lazy susan up top too? I've got in my notes that there are a lot more options for blind wall corners than blind base corners but I haven't hunted down specifics on those yet.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm