Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yukogg

Where do you put a hot lid while you cook?

oneandonly
13 years ago

Now that I'm about to have a marble counter top, I started to wonder what to do with all these things I use while I make dinner. Then I figured that the way I work in the kitchen with my tile counter is fine for a marble top. I don't put hot pan on the counter. I always use cutting board. I use spoon rest. I have oils and spices on a tray by the stovetop.

But what about a hot lid? I currently put lids on the counter top while I check on the pots and pans. They are hot and usually leave a paddle of hot steamy water and oil/grease on the counter, which I just use paper towel to wipe off. But I don't want to do that with my marble. What do you ladies do with your lids?

Thank you for sharing your ideas!

Comments (26)

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

how about that cutting board?

or a cook book holder

• trudymom
    13 years ago

I usually grab a couple of dishtowels and put it on that.

• alwaysfixin
    13 years ago

I set it down on the potholder that I used to lift off the lid. Or you can use something like the Lid Rest I'll link below. The Amazon reviews are enthusiastic.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spoon and Lid Rest at Amazon

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

I usually put it on a dish towel too.
    I have granite and I am sure I could just stick it on
    the counter but the top has steam, or sauce or something
    so a towel works perfectly.

• zeebee
    13 years ago

I'm lazy - hot lids usually end up on an unused burner. Otherwise I'll put it on my tiny swatch of countertop, which is soapstone and impervious to heat.

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

oneandonly....this is such a timely question for me, as my DH and I were having a "discussion" on this very question a few nights ago. I am so glad you posted!

I think the problem is solved now that I checked out that spoon/lid rest on Amazon. I can't wait to show him that product.

Once again, the GW forum has solved a problem....

KA:)

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

My marble guy said I can put hot pots directly on the marble no problem.

• stei7141
    13 years ago

We have several silicone mats/potholders, including two HotSpots. We use them as mats under all hot items. We also put them under our rice maker (and other heat generating small appliances) to help guard against thermal shock affecting our granite countertop. You can give them a quick scrub or toss them in the dishwasher, and the ones we got on eBay come in several colors.

Here is a link that might be useful: HotSpot Silicone Counter Cover

• petra66_gw
    13 years ago

I use this trivet from Ikea.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea trivet

• lowspark
    13 years ago

hot lids usually end up on an unused burner

Ya, same here.

• oneandonly
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, everyone, for coming up with great solutions!! I just love that you get how important little things can be :)

I really like that Spoon and Lid Rest from Amazon. Also, I've been thinking about getting something like petra66 suggested. I'll check them out at Ikea when I go there next time.

Sabjimata-do you really put hot pot directly on marble? I'd be scared.

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

alwaysfixin...thanks for posting that item...gonna get one of those...very unique.

• purplepansies
    13 years ago

I'm relatively new here, and have been reading this forum every day. I am always amazed at how many things there are I that I do in the kitchen that I will have to rethink before doing my reno. For example, currently my double sink is about 12 inches to the right of my range, so I always put hot lids in the sink or drainboard. When I move the sink, I may have to figure out something else - and today I'm thinking that spoon/lid rest is pretty cool!

• alwaysfixin
    13 years ago

Vampiressrn - you're welcome. Though I don't have it myself! I have been eyeing it for a while, but am so cheap I didn't want to pay shipping cost, so I need something else to bring my purchase up to $25, so I can order it with free shipping. Oh well, there must be SOME chotchkee on Amazon I need along with with the Lid and Spoon Rest.

I think there was a thread on the Cooking Forum a while ago where the OP asked for suggestions for low-priced small things that would help her bring her Amazon purchases to $25. I'll go look for that, so that I can get that Lid Rest already.

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

amazon has some silicone mats from about 5.00 and up depending on size. different shapes and colors also.

• november
    13 years ago

I put stuff directly on my granite or on an unused burner. Sometimes I grab a paper towel if the lid is really messy (pasta sauce or something).

• bmorepanic
    13 years ago

Fori, I though I was the only one with vacuum stick. I'm teaching myself to avoid using the burners and use the stainless drain board. It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks!

• kateskouros
    13 years ago

i'm planning on having a couple of stainless counter covers made to fit over each side of the range. 16-18" wide to run the full depth of the counter. this way i can just plop down what i need to without worry. hoping they can also line the bottoms with cork or some other material to avoid scratching the underside.

• oneandonly
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, kateskouros, what a great idea! That's a perfect solution for all kinds of stuff on the counter. Obviously it'll be custom made, right? I don't think there is a place you can just go in and buy something clever like that. Who would you have make it?

• kateskouros
    13 years ago

thanks, oneandonly. there's a local fabricator i know so i was going to just pop in and give him the specs. also having a piece done for a magnetic chalk board for our message center.

• nishka
    13 years ago

Guess I am lazy too. Mine just go down on a unused burner or right on the granite counter.

If I had marble and were worried about stains, I'd probably use a large cutting board just for the security and the ease of cleanup.

• happy2b…gw
    13 years ago

Like petra66, I have the trivet from Ikea. I keep it out all the time. It is also handy for setting down a roasting or broiler pan straight out of the oven. Also the price cannot be beat.

• abadgett
    5 years ago
    I use my handy cookie sheet I keep in oven drawer. Because my towels may have some freshner on them from washing that I don't want to mix back in my food. The cookie catches steam and excess drippings, so easy clean up and cookie sheet fits in front of dishwasher.
  • Annastacia
    5 years ago
    I have granite on my outer counters, and I am in the process of getting marble for my island...I had my fabricator make two nice big extra pieces of my slab, and created 2 chopping boards. I put my utensils, seasonings/oils, and hot drippy lids on it! I sometimes will throw a paper towel on it if its tomato based. I would never put a drippy lid on my marble!!! Maybe see if your fabricator has a good granite or soap stone remainder that they can create a co-ordinating board for you?
  • nhbaskets
    5 years ago

How does a thread that is 8 1/2 years old get brought back up?