Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gale1965

Cabinet hardware-do you mix pulls w/ knobs?

gale1965
10 years ago

My mindset was all pulls but I just saw one that had both, even on the same cabinet unit, on houzz.com and wondered if a lot of people do that. If so, do you have pictures posted online anywhere?

Is there an advantage other than aesthetics?

Comments (24)

• bluetea57
    10 years ago

I went through the same conversation in my head when looking at cabinet hardware. We decided on knobs on doors and pulls on drawers. We liked the ease of use of the pulls on the drawers and liked the comfort of knobs on the doors. When I discusses this decision with my friend she said "that's what we did, look." I can't tell you how many times I have been in that kitchen and I never noticed it before.

• doonie
    10 years ago

It was a matter of comfort for us. Plus I like the aesthetics. Due to our exposed hinges, we kept our knobs and pulls in the same color family although we did use more rustic looking ones on the center island (which has a slightly distressed maple). The perimeter cabinets have a different pulls and knobs. Not very noticeable, but I like the subtle variation.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I wanted to go with all pulls for my cabinets but when I saw how lovely the corresponding knobs were I decided to use a few of them. Do what you love!!!

• sombreuil_mongrel
    10 years ago

I used six style of knobs/pulls in one kitchen because it seemed the right thing, it is a partially unfitted look, with different uppers, lowers, and wanting a 12" long pull for the DW
    They are all united by the polished nickel finish.
    Casey

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I have all pulls except on the two high cabs over my fridge and range hood where I have knobs. Not only did it seem to be the place for a touch of variety, but I'm short and the knobs are much easier to grab. All the hardware comes from Top Knobs in antique pewter.

• gale1965
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone-you've given me something new to think about. I do like the idea of knobs on some doors. Our move-in date should be sometime late August, early September but I want to start shopping for knobs/pulls soon.

I think dh will like the idea of only one hole to drill on some doors.

• sail_away
    10 years ago

Glad you posted this question. We are only doing a slight refresh of our kitchen, involving new floors, countertops, sink, faucet, appliances, and backsplash. Our cabinets have never had any hardware, and I wanted to add some, but it has been the hardest decision to make. I have been all over the place. At first, I was determined that I only wanted pulls for all cabinets and drawers. Then I thought maybe I would use knobs on doors and cup pulls on the drawers---until I looked at the cup pulls in person and thought they might be a bit too big and not fit the style of our home. Finally, I thought maybe I should just put knobs on everything; but I'm a bit concerned about using just one knob on some of our wider drawers---yet don't want to put two knobs on those drawers as I'm afraid it will look more cluttered visually. Now, I'm being persuaded by the idea of knobs on doors and puls on drawers being more functional.

I can't tell you how many samples of hardware I've bought, taken home, and then returned. However, now that we are almost finished (backsplash going in the end of this week), I need to get serious and try again.

BLUETEA, could you give me the information on your hardware? It has the understated look that finishes off and complements your cabinets that I'd like to have, but doesnt scream "look at me, look at me." Thanks.

DOONIE, I see you have the cup pulls I was so enamored with a while ago. When I looked at them in the store, they seemed a bit overpowering, but in your photo (and others I've seen), they look great. Do you find them harder to use on the bottom drawers, since you have to reach up and under, rather than just reaching from above on a regular pull? Do you find them at all overpowering visually? I guess I should actually buy a few and bring them home to test them out for myself. What size are your cup pulls---or maybe it would just be easier to tell me which ones they are so I can research them myself. The big cup pulls seem so massive, but I don't want something that would be uncomfortably small either.

• gale1965
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's another question. I will have one bank of drawers that is 30" wide. Does that need a wider pull or two pulls? Or is a single pull enough on this size drawer? There will be one regular and two deep drawers on this unit.

This post was edited by gale1965 on Sun, Jun 9, 13 at 14:03

• islanddevil
    10 years ago

Many mix, including styles and finishes. So many decisions it makes my head spin. Something else to decide on, but I'm not that far along yet. Also think it depends on the size of your kitchen and style. Mine isn't big so I know I'll be sticking with the same finish and not going with anything more exotic than mixing a pull and knob, if that.
    Check out the GW finished kitchen blog for lots of pictures.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

It took me about 5 weeks to find my hardware. I bought samples of 4 pulls before I found the one that I am going to use. Even after choosing I didn't get it exactly right because I think I could have used all 4 inch pulls as they are a very solid pull.

I am using knobs on my upper peninsula cabs, double 6 inch pulls on my 36 inch drawers, a 15 inch pull on my dw, and all the rest will be 4 inch pulls.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

My cabinet hardware was the one and only aspect of my kitchen redo that I liked from the get-go and didn't go through a period of "oh why did I do that?!!" I saw it on a display at the KD's shop. Although the cabs were totally different in every way from mine, the pulls said, "you want us."

• islanddevil
    10 years ago

Linelle
    I'm hoping that's what happens for me. I'm spending so much time just looking at stuff trying to figure out what I want that I'm confusing myself before I've even begun!

• bluetea57
    10 years ago

Sailaway, we tested many different pulls and knobs for comfort of our hands and knuckles and these were the ones that were simple, understated and comfortable. They are Amerock AL53011 ORB for the knob and AL53003 ORB for the pull.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

island, initially I found a pull I really liked. Then I saw it on display cabs and didn't like it at all. It was like, it was a nice thing all by itself, but didn't look good in action. Good luck on your quest.

• sail_away
    10 years ago

BLUETEA, Thanks for the info--I've written it down and will be looking them up. Maybe they're the ones!

HOLLY-KAY, i've seen your choices, and they are so elegant---wouldn't fit in my kitchen, but I do admire them.

LINELLE, I'll have to do a search and find a picture of your hardware (unless, of course, you want to post a photo here---hint, hint)

GALE, I hope someone answers your question about knobs/pulls on wider drawers. I'm hoping to get away with only one, as I think two would mean I'd have to have two hands available to pull the drawer open evenly.

• ginny20
    10 years ago

I did what linelle did. I saw styles I loved in pictures, but IRL in display kitchens, I realized they wouldn't work. I did buy various samples from big box stores and brought them home to hold up to a sample door. It helped for both style and color. (Then I returned the samples.) I used pulls on drawers, knobs on doors, but it really is just personal taste. Those more contemporary looking kitchens are fab with all sleek pulls in various sizes. I like all knobs in a cottage-y kitchen. Get what you like.

24" usually takes one pull, 36" can take 1 big one or 2 if you want, 30" is neutral zone - can go either way. If you use a pull that comes in sizes, you can get a bigger size.

• doonie
    10 years ago

@gale..We got all of our pulls and knobs in the kitchen through Restoration Hardware. I was worried initially about the cup pull because of fingernails scratching the wood as the cup was grabbed. (Silly, I know, but a TKO might get it!) Anyway, that has not been an issue.

We only have cup pulls on the center island. I do not find it visually overwhelming. On the perimeter we have a different pull, but it seems to blend in due to the cherry finish.

Pulls on the perimeter:

Here is a link that might be useful: Restoration Hardware cups

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Top Knobs Somerset Arendal - antique pewter

TK Tuscany - antique pewter (not to scale!)

• ginny20
    10 years ago

sail-away - Just want to reassure you, you can use two if you want and still pull only one to open. I asked my cab maker if having two pulls meant I needed to pull both, and he said no (for my cabs anyway). They open very easily. I used to have two knobs on my old 36" drawer, and I usually pulled only one knob for over 20 years. It worked.

• sail_away
    10 years ago

DOONIE, Thanks for the link. I've bookmarked it. Those cup pulls look a bit sleeker than some of the others I've looked at. How are the ergonomics, i.e., when opening a bottom drawer, with the cup pulls?

LINELLE, I can see why those caught your eye. I love pewter finish and can imagine how good they look on your white cabinets.

GINNY, Thanks for the information about the drawer hardware.

• doonie
    10 years ago

@Sail-away, I had the same question as you about the pulls and comfort. I am happy to relate, I don't even notice them and those bottom drawers are some of the most frequently opened. So ergonomics have been good for me.

• shelayne
    10 years ago

Not only did we mix pulls with knobs, but we have different styles, finishes, and sizes. Yet it all works.

On all the upper cabs, we have glass knobs. On all the shallow drawer fronts (6" high), we have cup pulls. On all the deep drawers and pullouts, we have regular (handle)pulls, but depending on the width of the drawer or pullout, the pulls are either 6" or 12.5". The finishes on both the cup pulls and pulls are blackish, and the backplate of the crystal knobs is also blackish, so that pulls (no pun intended :p) everything together.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

I am close to getting our pulls figured out. I ordered a few samples of my favorites, and narrowed it down; then it was to decide on sizes. I'm trying them out on our existing cabinets, but the style of the new ones won't be terribly different, so it should work out. We have lived without door hardware for 25 years, so putting anything on the doors looks odd to us.

I'm still torn between vertical and horizontal on my uppers. I've gone through a lot of 2-sided tape, sticking pulls to doors! I'm going horizontal on the few base cabinet doors that I have - trash pullout, sink cab, lazy susan door, and that seems right to me, so I can't figure why it doesn't quite look right on the uppers.

I have one drawer stack that's 34" wide; the top will be 2 17"-wide drawers, so I'm putting two pulls each on the deep drawers. I'm torn between putting one or two pulls on the sink tip-out (30" cabinet).