Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buehl

Lindybarts...Are You Around? Q about Village barstools

Buehl
15 years ago

We just received our 2 barstools today...same as yours only in black honey.

The black honey appears to be solid black on the JC Penney site...but when we opened them the backs have what looks like swaths of cherry-colored stain on the black finish all over the chair back (front & back). At first I thought we had gotten a badly finished product, but when we looked at the second stool, it had exactly the same swaths in exactly the same places. So now, we think it's "deliberate"...but it looks awful (to me)!

You appear to have the "cherry" color...does it also have swaths of different-colored stain? I'm afraid, first, the stain might not match our cabinets or be "almost" and look like we "missed"...but I also don't want to order the cherry if it also has swaths of differently colored stain.

TIA!

Here is a link that might be useful: Village Swivel Barstools

Comments (7)

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

Oh no, I'm so sorry! We do have the Cherry and there aren't any obvious swaths of a different stain across the back like you are describing. There is a little variation but not big patches. Our stain looks pretty much like their closeup on their website:

If you want I can try and take some close up pics of mine and post them?? I don't know if that would help though. You might have to just see them in real life. Did you have cherry cabinets too? I hope you didn't have to pay shipping. I feel bad they didn't work out.

• Buehl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Lindybarts!

We also ordered the cherry ones so I'll wait to see what they look like. They're backordered until 7/10.

And, no, we didn't pay for shipping....I actually ordered them Monday morning w/free shipping & $100 off each. When I looked at them online last night, I noticed the price is back to $249.99 each...so I ordered just in time!

I called Penney's and they're going to attempt to find out if the splotches/swaths are "as-designed"...

As to our cabinets, yes, they are cherry (with a mandarin orange stain & coffee glaze) so I was concerned about matching or, rather, looking close but "missed"...I want them either to match or be very different!

I hope the cherry ones work...when I saw your kitchen & the barstools I knew immediately they were the ones I wanted so when my DH mentioned Sunday night that we needed to "pick out" barstools...I told me I already had...luckily he liked them too!

Here's a link to a recent thread of mine w/some pics. (I've also linked my album if anyone is interested)

Thread: We have a semi-functional kitchen!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Buehl's Kitchen Remodel...In Progress

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

Your kitchen is looking fabulous! I think the cherry stools are going to be just a tad darker than your cabinets. Hard to say with camera flashes and monitors. Hope you end up liking them. Let me know how the soft the cushions are too. I'm seriously considering returning the last one I bought since it's so much harder than the first 4.

• Buehl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lindybarts...you're right, they are just a tad darker--but from a distance they look like they match. We're thinking of keeping them.

For one thing, Our cabinets should darken a little bit more (our KD said they'll darken noticeably for about 2 years).

Another reason is that not only do I really like the design but they are so comfortable...more than we ever expected from barstools!

Finally, we did hear from JC Penney about the black stools (the ones we really wanted). Based on my phone call, they initiated a stock check at the warehouse and discovered that all the black stools are like that...and they're not supposed to be! So, they've notified the catalog/inventory people to mark them "not as advertised in catalog" and they have initiated an audit (I think that's what she said) of the merchandise received by this supplier. [LOL! I'm such a troublemaker!]

Here's a pic...I just hope they aren't too "matchy-matchy"!

{{!gwi}}

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

They are comfy aren't they....yay! Glad you liked them. I think from your small picture, they look great but I can't see the whole kitchen. We thought ours were a little too matchy at first too but then grew to love them.

LOL on the black ones! You saved the world from blotchy barstools, you should be proud! ;c)

• Buehl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here are more pics...

Against the cabinets (for color matching)
    {{!gwi}}

Here is how one looks at peninsula (we haven't put second one together yet)
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

Well that settles it...I think it looks perfect! Although I would be biased, wouldn't I? LOL!

Seriously, I think it looks great!