Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aloha2009

Great General Contractors

aloha2009
9 years ago

I've never seen any threads where collectively we had a listing of general contractors that worked out well. I've read countless kitchen horror stories that almost paralyze me from moving forward but then there have been some positive experiences

If you've had a positive outcome please list where you are from and the name of the general contractor so other's can utilize them too. Please include where their bid came in (high, middle, low), what you had done, and why it was so positive.

I'm hoping we can get a good geographical mix.

Comments (16)

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

I'm not sure I get the point of doing this. Aren't there plenty of review sites online as it is? I don't know how many times I've read a post that complains about a bad experience with a contractor that "got good reviews on Angie's list." Most of us here don't know each other personally, so how will it be any different from any other internet review source?

• homebound
    9 years ago

A list on a site to share with random folks? No way. It would be like launching a "denial of service" attack to an internet website.

I've referred some really excellent contractors and subs to folks, based on my assessment of quality and value, etc. It left me bitter for doing so. "They're too high", "He was too much", foot-dragging, wasting time. tire-kicking, never following-up. I hate doing that to a good contractor.

On the other hand, when some of those referrals did work, I never got a thanks from either the contractor or the client, but did find those guys were thereafter too busy for me all the time. I recently got one buddy a good painting crew. My thanks? He referred to all his friends, so now the guy is booked and I need an alternative.

Same thing for my patio guy a few years back.

This post was edited by homebound on Sun, Jun 29, 14 at 9:34

• aloha2009
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There is so much discussion on the forum about qualities of specific materials and ways of doing things, There is much discussion about what style, color etc. of various items. There is a boat load of info on the internet too but it doesn't get as specific as this forum seems to provide. This forum has been indispensable in many ways because of the seemingly genuine advice that is given.

Finding a good contractor seems to be a crapshoot. Being that can make or break a project, I thought it would be helpful to get genuine specifics. I doubt I will be able to personally find my contractor through this thread, but I still think it would be nice for others to at least use as a reference.

Seems like I've struck a negative nerve on opening up this thread. I'm hoping it won't go nowhere.

• sas95
    9 years ago

I would not feel comfortable doing this on an internet forum. I love our GC and have referred business to him, but want to control the quality of the referrals I send him.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

There's a thread or two where GW people tell where they live, with varying detail. As far as I can tell, no active posters live in my immediate neck of the woods, i.e., where my contractor works.

I think anyone reading about positive experiences with a GC and realizing they are in the same area could contact the poster and ask about details.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

This could also veer into "advertising" territory with no control over who is posting referrals. Quite frankly, I thoroughly enjoy the "no advertising" policy on this forum and IMHO (I am only speaking for myself here), I think the internet is already littered with more than enough review sites. I agree with linelle ... it's easy enough to contact a poster to request specifics if you are so inclined.

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

I wouldn't do that to any good contractor! Part of the value of a word of mouth recommdation for the contractor is knowing the person that recommended him. They don't have to practice the same screening procedures with those clients as they do with cold calls from ''the public'. Those cold calls take a good amount of time to weed through. The majority are those who haven't done their homework first. That adds a tremendous non paying workload to an already busy person.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

I can think of a few things wrong with this idea ...

1 - My idea of a "good contractor" might not be yours. Mine don't need to do a lot of hand-holding and detailed planning, because that's what I've already done.

2 - If I refer someone to a contractor, I don't refer people who will be bad customers.

3 - If they want their name and contact info on the internet, they know how to do it.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

I'll tell you what someone should start, that would be a list of PIA customers that contractors could access for a fee.

I'd be worth it just to put the shoe on the other proverbial foot and for entertainment.

• Fori
    9 years ago

How about a more gentle alternative? Like a thread for "I am in X region and had a good contractor for Y. Let me know if you want details"?

I am working with an architect who was recommended by a kitchen gardenwebber. Is that weird? A little bit. :P

• poohpup
    9 years ago

Trebruchet, I'd love to hear thoughts on what contractors want in a client. There is a lot of contractor bashing here but I see a lot of unreasonable expectations too. I had a contractor tell me once that his worst clients were affluent. They were the ones who tended to hold off payment, were hard to collect from and had unrealistic expectations. I'm sure contractors have some pretty consistent gripes and issues with their customers.

I LOVED my kitchen contractor. A total pleasure to deal with and did an amazing job. The best was the communication that occurred so I always knew what to expect and when. I was never kept guessing. They have done two kitchens that I know of based upon my referral and my next door neighbor is about to start her kitchen/bath remodel in August. They are so busy that they have a wait list. This is a small, local, family-owned business that gets most of their business from referrals.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

"I'll tell you what someone should start, that would be a list of PIA customers that contractors could access for a fee."

LOL!

"Trebruchet, I'd love to hear thoughts on what contractors want in a client."

I, too, am curious as to what contractors see as PITA behavior. I have my own thoughts about that, but I'd like to know what the general consensus is.

• OOTM_Mom
    9 years ago

Haha PITA clients! We have a list of those, thankfully short. If they stay on the list too long we politely suggest they take their business to a competitor. "We think so and so would be better suited to meet your needs, you might want to check them out." I'm not in the remodeling business, thankfully.

• User
    9 years ago

@aloha2009, I totally get why you posted this. I spent so much time on GW before we did our kitchen, and it was so incredibly helpful for so many aspects of our renovation. But the most important piece for us was the contractor, and there GW could not provide answers.

As a result, we made some big mistakes - we first chose a firm that had glowing Angie's List feedback, but they imploded before our project began (and after they had taken our money!) That finally ended well, but it made the whole contractor choice that much more important and intimidating. We wound up using a firm that our good friends used for some basement and bathroom renovations - they liked the firm so well that the owner had honorary uncle status. In the end, we liked the firm a little less well; they were very competent in the big stuff and scrupulously honest - which meant a lot after our first disaster - but they weren't really a good fit for a kitchen. Too many small details.

But therein lies part of the problem. I might flame the firm because they did some boneheaded things with our project, but my friends would praise them to the rafters. Who's right?

I don't know what the right solution for finding someone good would be. In the end, the fact that the contractor was honest, responsive and didn't go out of his way to screw us (as clueless homeowners) means we will definitely consider him when we do our bathrooms next year. I wish there were a better system, but I also see why the PPs don't think it can be found on GW.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

@ treb
    Interesting thought. I'd probably be on that list. My DH states emphatically that he wouldn't want to work for me. It's not that I'm looking for mistakes but I have high standards and just see mess-ups from a mile away.
    Having said that, I've had people who did do work for us say that I was one of their favorite clients. Why? I will totally acknowledge excellent work, am willing to pay for it, and write outstanding letters of recommendations/reference.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

homeadvisor provides us with feedback from the potentials that didn't hire us. Only we can read it. Maybe I'll post it tomorrow, I've been drinking a bit tonight and I make some incredibly stupid mistakes here drinking and posting. Some are hilarious.