Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Little sneak peak of the countertops

Posted by mrsmortarmixer (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 4, 13 at 0:40

My prep sink came yesterday and my cleanup sink came today, so I thought I better get on the ball and start putting things back in order so the island and sink run can be put back in Wednesday (t-ball tomorrow evening).

Thought I would snap a quick picture of the ugliest piece in the kitchen. It's to the left of the range and hidden under the rice canister and utensil crock/caddy most of the time. They read darker from a distance, but standing directly over them shows lighter and more orange. Mineral oil only.

ETA: picture added to the bottom. Freshly oiled, so the island top is super shiny and the sink is super oily from being careless.

This post was edited by mrsmortarmixer on Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 1:33

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Little sneak peak of the countertops

Wow-that's beautiful.

o

I'm confused? What am I looking at? Is that a bit of counter top? Is that your new counter top? Or?

o

If that lovely dark countertop is the ugliest part of your kitchen, it is going to be gorgeous!

o

That is absolutely beautiful! I am in love with the grain. What type of wood?

o

Wowsers. Hope I have something that "ugly" in my kitchen too!

o

deedles- it's one of the small pieces of countertop left of the stove. The stove isn't pushed up flush against it in the picture though. I don't think I had posted them on here yet.

heidihausfrau- I guess maybe ugly isn't the correct term, but it's not the prettiest piece of countertop in the kitchen.

mortherof3sons-it's black walnut. This piece of counter would probably be one of the lowest grades of walnut just because of all the sapwood, knotholes, and grain deviations from where limbs used to be.

o

Oooh figured black walnut - gorgeous!!

o

No, you're right--it's ugly. Ugh! But I'm willing to help out a fellow GW'er. Send it to me and you'll never have to think about it again.

;), of course! It's lovely.

o

mama goose- lol! I've probably got some extra boards around here that didn't make the cut. I was going to make them into cutting boards, but maybe you could find a way to make them work.

o

Oh, wow. That's low grade walnut?! Finally something I like that's not the expensive stuff! I really want some walnut somewhere, l'm glad even the almost reject stuff looks that great.

So exciting to see things moving forward for you!

o

williamsem- definitely lower grade, although walnut grading is more lenient than other lumber. I think in the end, we had something like $1.10 a board ft. wrapped up in it. But the trees were free, so we just paid for cutting, kiln drying, and edging. Same with the floors. So if you can find a walnut log, grab it :)

o

mrsm, Thank you, that's very generous. Many years ago, we rented a lovely old house, the yard of which had a walnut tree. A very dead walnut tree. We were given strict instructions not to fold, spindle or mutilate the walnut tree, because the owner planned to eventually use the lumber for furniture ... or maybe a pepper grinder, considering that the tree was only 6" in diameter. :[

o

I have a kitchen full of sapwood and I LOVE IT and I love your new counter too! I've been looking for some thick 2' chunks for shelves so send 'em my way if mama_goose doesn't clean you out first
;-)

o

It's beautiful and looks great with the brick. I can't wait to see more, so keep posting!

o

Its lovely! And you know I love a gorgeous walnut counter......

o

I have a prep sink :)

o

Oooh! The walnut and brick are absolutely wonderful together. I love the architectural strength and feeling of age and timelessness the masonry brings.

o

How much was the stuff other than the actual cost per board foot?

i was too lazy to do all that work and just bought an inexpensive walnut top from a company that manufactures "blanks" (DIY wood countertops basically). but I'm curious about the whole process of getting that all done yourself.

was it just an absolute ton of trouble and effort?
how did you transport the log?
how did you find a place to kiln dry it near your house?

ps. i love it!!

o

sarahhomeremodel- As far as added cost, just gas and time and a gallon of mineral oil. So maybe $40 on top of the board ft cost, but spread over about 1100 board ft of other lumber as well.

I don't think it's a ton of trouble. Just loading logs with the tractor onto the trailer, then hauling to the sawmills, bringing it back home to sit for a couple of months to barn dry, then taking it to be kiln dried, and then waiting for it to be finished. The flooring was ready to be put down when we picked it up. The countertops were just 2x7 and 2x7.5s that were planed and straight edged. Mr. MM routed a 1/2" groove down each side of the boards for another piece of wood to sit in, glued in a piece of wood, glued the boards together and clamped them overnight. I guess it's just a lot of hurry up and wait, and must be planned for accordingly.

I find that most sawmills, furniture and cabinet makers, and other woodworkers will either have a kiln or know someone who does.

o

Wow I have a few mature walnut trees on our property. When I am ready for a new counter top the squirrels will have to find another source for nuts!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here