Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jamrock_gw

Above oven vertical slotted storage

jamrock
11 years ago

Hi all.

Still at it with punch list work, including cabinet & drawer inserts.

I am trying to figure out my over the ovens vertical slotted storage for muffin pans, baking pans, baking sheets, etc. (to have them stand on their sides like I have seen in many of your kitchens).

In case it matters, my over oven cabinet is one door that lifts up & stays up until pulled down.

For those of you with this type of storage, how wide are each of your slots and do you find that size to be suitable?

Also, are those slots as deep as the cabinet or is there a false back to that kind of storage?

Obviously too wide is better than too narrow because I can double or triple up on the pans in each slot, but it is hard and annoying to have to squeeze something in that doesn't quite fit.

I know that I can measure the pans I currently own and base my decision on that but I need some help. (Ex. - I have a 3 yr old & have only baked mini muffins. If some day I buy normal/big muffin pans, how thick/deep are those?)

I have seen pictures of some adjustable ones here but am afraid my cabinet maker will charge me an arm and a leg for that. Looks pricey...

Any info, recommendation, suggestion and pictures will be greatly appreciated.

I need to email my cabinet maker on this ASAP.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (24)

• cakelly1226
    11 years ago

I don't have anything permenantly built in so I use the Ikea pot holder to separate my pans. I will take a pic tomorrow but it cost 4.99 and is perfectly adjustable. I love it and was a very easy solution to my problem since I didn't think to add it before.

• jamrock
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks CKGM.

I am going to try to search IKEA's website now to take a look but it would be great to see a picture of it in use for exactly what I have in mind.

• cheri127
    11 years ago

I don't find it at all inconvenient to remove items stacked in the same slot. This vertical storage is one of my favorite things in the kitchen. You will need the full cabinet depth.

• badgergal
    11 years ago

Unless you have tons of trays, I would suggest that you also leave some space for other oversize items you might have. Of course if you have a large pantry you might not need the space for large items like I did. Like Cheri127 said its very easy to Remove items stacked in the same slot. Here is my set up and it is the full depth of the cabinet.
    {{gwi:1582903}}

• clarygrace
    11 years ago

We have adjustable separators and the cabinet is full depth. As for vertical lift door, I assume you are tall enough to be able to pull it down and that you have sufficient ceiling clearance. I have a vertical lift door for our appliance garage, but it is at counter height and lifts up to to midway to the cabinet doors above it.

• clarygrace
    11 years ago

just wanted to clarify on the vertical lift, the door opens fully to expose the appliance garage. You will need sufficient ceiling height clearance for the entire height of the door for it to operate properly and reach the items inside the cabinet. Also, lift doors have a bar running across the front on the inside (part of the mechanism) which reduces clearance by an inch or so.

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

I'm doing this over my refrrigerator. I don't think you need to take it back the full 24".
    I can tell you I'd lose stuff up there and it would become a black hole.

When I can do my cabinet there, I'm going 15" deep. That's enough. The sides will be hidden, so it won't look any different.

I like that Ikea thing, too.

• claybabe
    11 years ago

Mine is full cab depth and great for flatter baking dishes, big cookie sheets and things with handles that I don't put in my pot rack. I have another narrower but full cab depth area in the island that holds cutting boards and only rarely lose something to the back. Everyone has different needs but in this case I have found that the deeper unit works better for me. The dividers in both are fixed and four inches apart. The wood for the dividers in this kitchen is plywood thickness (1/2 or 3/4) but my old kitchen was much thinner, probably a 1/4 " and I preferred that because of the slightly larger storage area. YMMV

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Mine are the full 24 inches above fridge and oven - nothing lost so far

• jamrock
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone.

CKGM, is it the IKEA storage for lids? That's all I found when I searched their site. Do you have a picture of yours in use?

Cheri127 and Badgergal, it's great to know that it is easy to remove items from the same slot. I was hoping it wasn't a pain.

Badgergal, I do not have tons of trays but I do have lots of storage. I can also put other not too heavy things up there if I had to - big 2"+ Pyrex baking dishes, super duper sized curing board...

Clarygrace, yes I am tall enough to work the door and my ceilings are over 10ft high so that's not a problem. The cabinet maker pur a strong hinge on the door and it engages and holds the door up when I open the door. The only problem is that when he adjusted it he did not allow the door to open up to 90 degrees (I think he was afraid it would be difficult to reach). I can get my big baking sheet in & out with the door that way but I think I need him to allow it to open up higher as I do have to tilt it "just so" in order to get it out.

CEFreeman, over the refrigerator is high. I can understand why you want to stay shallow up there. I usually don't like deep because I hate to dig for things, but for this storage "deep" is more like "long" so I don't think things will be stored in such a way for them to get pushed far back. I thing full depth may be the way to go over the ovens.

Claybabe, thanks especially for the info on the 4" width. I think ours will be 1/4". I am not near my kitchen now, but I think that's what he used for another insert.

A2gemini, glad nothing has disappeared into the abyss. I know you are BS-haunted. Thanks for coming up for some air to respond.

Anyone besides Claybabe have any info on the recommended width of the "slots"? Usable width of your slots? Do the sizes work well for you? Would you do them the same way if you had to do it over?

Thanks again all.

• jamrock
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone.

CKGM, is it the IKEA storage for lids? That's all I found when I searched their site. Do you have a picture of yours in use?

Cheri127 and Badgergal, it's great to know that it is easy to remove items from the same slot. I was hoping it wasn't a pain.

Badgergal, I do not have tons of trays but I do have lots of storage. I can also put other not too heavy things up there if I had to - big 2"+ Pyrex baking dishes, super duper sized curing board...

Clarygrace, yes I am tall enough to work the door and my ceilings are over 10ft high so that's not a problem. The cabinet maker pur a strong hinge on the door and it engages and holds the door up when I open the door. The only problem is that when he adjusted it he did not allow the door to open up to 90 degrees (I think he was afraid it would be difficult to reach). I can get my big baking sheet in & out with the door that way but I think I need him to allow it to open up higher as I do have to tilt it "just so" in order to get it out.

CEFreeman, over the refrigerator is high. I can understand why you want to stay shallow up there. I usually don't like deep because I hate to dig for things, but for this storage "deep" is more like "long" so I don't think things will be stored in such a way for them to get pushed far back. I thing full depth may be the way to go over the ovens.

Claybabe, thanks especially for the info on the 4" width. I think ours will be 1/4". I am not near my kitchen now, but I think that's what he used for another insert.

A2gemini, glad nothing has disappeared into the abyss. I know you are BS-haunted. Thanks for coming up for some air to respond.

Anyone besides Claybabe have any info on the recommended width of the "slots"? Usable width of your slots? Do the sizes work well for you? Would you do them the same way if you had to do it over?

Thanks again all.

• blfenton
    11 years ago

Mine is above my fridge - so 36" wide by 24" deep. I have 6 dividers so 7 slots. My longest tray is a cooling rack at 21" long. I don't think it matters if it's 24" deep because you're only going to push your tray etc back as far as your reach is.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

My camera fell in the lake a couple of weeks ago so I can't take a pic.

I have slotted storage above my 30" wall ovens. I have 10 slots, 9 fixed dividers. My cab maker had already put them in when I asked about the possibility of him installing some for me so I didn't have a choice. They are fixed about 2 5/8" apart. In them I store my 1/2 and 1/4 sheet pans, cooling racks, extra (large) cutting boards, muffin pans, griddle pans, broiler pan, and splatter screen. And its full! I store my serving trays in a base cab with vertical storage on the dining room side of my peninsula. I've got way too many of those, too.

• liriodendron
    11 years ago

An inexpensive and adjustable (poss. temporary, too) solution is to buy some spring-tensioned curtain rods and install them between the floor of the cab the bottom of a shelf or the ceiling of the cab.

That way you can try out the spacing before you commit to it, or alter it later if your needs change. You'll need both a front and back - and most likely a center - rod for each slot to keep things organized and squarely in the allocated slot. In all you'll need one less set of rods than you have total slots.

HTH

L.

• claybabe
    11 years ago

Sorry, I am an idiot: I thought I could just visualize from afar how wide the openings were....Each section is 6 inches, including one upright. Inside width is closer to five inches (5.25).I think that the opening is fine, but wouldn't mind it being slightly wider with thinner uprights like you are planning. I kind of nest my baking dishes and larger roasters (but the biggest roaster pan has to go somewhere else since it is just a tiny bit too small).

• shelayne
    11 years ago

I went the el-cheapo route and bought the racks from Wally-World. I have two of them over my wall oven, but also have a shelf underneath for bigger items, like trays and the catering inserts that go with my warming drawer.

Though the dividers aren't affixed to the cabinet, I find that the pans, sheets, and cooling racks keep the dividers in place. I also have them on top of "Cushy Cupboards" shelf liner and that helps as well.

Here is a pic to show what I am talking about:

I do not have a problem getting anything out that has more than one item in its slot. Well, sometimes the cooling racks like to get tangled, but they aren't as bad as clothes hangers....

• iroll_gw
    11 years ago

I have two adjustable Copco organizers in a full-depth 24" base cab.
    The default spacing between uprights is 1.5 inches.

They are placed one in the front, the other behind it. The height of the cabinet allows the items in the rear to be lifted out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Copco 2555-1978 Adjustable Bakeware Organizer

• Cloud Swift
    11 years ago

We have 3" between dividers. That is close enough to keep things more or less in position as some are pulled out for use. We have 6 baking sheets/jelly roll pans in one slot, 6 cookie sheets and a muffin tin in another and cooling racks in the third.

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

Mine:

• cakelly1226
    11 years ago

Yes- it is the lid organizer- let me try to take a pic right now. I totally forgot!

• cakelly1226
    11 years ago

Here you go! You reminded me I need to call the KD and find out where the shelf for this cab went to- it has the holes but no shelf?

Here is a link that might be useful:

• jamrock
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You GWers are amazing!

Thank you for taking the time out to help - to measure, to recommend, to post.

Hopefully I do not overlook any names (believe me, I did read all of your posts) - blfenton, breezygirl, liriodendron, claybabe, shelayne, buehl, iroll, cloud_swift, beekeeperswife & CKGM.

I already thanked the first group who posted earlier, but again I thank you all.

I should be able to make a decision from all this helpful info.

• jamrock
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You GWers are amazing!

Thank you for taking the time out to help - to measure, to recommend, to post.

Hopefully I do not overlook any names (believe me, I did read all of your posts) - blfenton, breezygirl, liriodendron, claybabe, shelayne, buehl, iroll, cloud_swift, beekeeperswife & CKGM.

I already thanked the first group who posted earlier, but again I thank you all.

I should be able to make a decision from all this helpful info.

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area