Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bumpyroadtohome

Advice on Kitchen Choices - I need your help!

BumpyRoadtoHome
12 years ago

The deadline to finalize our kitchen choices has arrived and I'm at the point now where I just want to get it over with. We love modern/contemporary kitchens but I still love a touch of traditional.

Keep in mind we have all stainless steel appliances. We are aiming for a more modern/industrial look.
CABINETS

Flat-panel cabinet doors. Dark stained maple doesn't show grain, whereas Oak does. Would oak make it look rustic?

{{!gwi}}
FLOORING

We're going with tile in the kitchen and it carries to the nook. The area has an adjoining living room that has a dark handscraped hardwood that has grey undertones. I wonder if going with the lighter tile will lighten up the space since the kitchen doesn't have direct windows. As well as provide a contrast to the dark hardwood in the living room.

{{!gwi}} OR {{!gwi}}
BACKSPLASH

I really love the look of carrera marble..either in subway tile, mosaic or some form of glass backsplash with light grey tones.

{{!gwi}}
QUARTZ COUNTERTOP

Would you pair everything with a light grey countertop or white? I love the contrast of the white but hubby likes the grey. The walls are light grey.

{{!gwi}}

I know everyone says that I should choose what I like, but I honestly can't decide and all the choices are variations of the same thing. Any help is much appreciated. Love this forum!!

Comments (33)

• harrimann
    12 years ago

If I was making the choices, I think I'd go for the maple cabinets, the darker floor, the white quartz (to lighten the space), and I'd put in a full height quartz backsplash to give it a sleek, modern look.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

The oak cab reminds me of the cheap, dark oak cabs I grew up with. I'd choose maple.

Dark cabs and dark floor don't work for me, but how dirt-hiding would that white one be?

The Carrara backsplash does not seem "modern/industrial" to me. Your definition might be different. I think the best way to choose a bs is to wait until the cabs and counters are in. Only then can you get a true sense of how your kitchen feels and what's missing to create the look you want.

• BumpyRoadtoHome
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hm maybe that's where I have it all messed up...perhaps I'm going for more of a contemporary look? Here's an example:

{{!gwi}}

By the way, here are some drafts of my kitchen (ignore the counter + backsplash) from the cabinet maker. There is an island in the center with the sink + dishwasher. I am doing this with a builder, so i'm under their tight deadlines and have to choose the backsplash and everything else at the same time.

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• BumpyRoadtoHome
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm sort of going for something like this...man, i must seem like an 'all over the place monkey'

{{!gwi}}

{{gwi:1409328}}

Thanks in advance.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Your two inspiration pics have dark cabs and dark wood floors (excepting the white island in the first), and they look nice. Note that each has decent natural light though. Not knowing your house layout, I'm not sure how much light you'll get from the surrounding rooms. There's nothing wrong with that look as long as you view those inspiration pics with that lense.

Why aren't you doing wood floors throughout your whole space? Tile is hard underfoot and on your back. Plus, it's cold and breaks dropped items more easily.

That first pic you just posted has great tile. It reads more contemporary. I had to laugh at your monkey comment. I've never heard that phrase before! Choosing big, hard-to-replace items like this is hard. I think a lot of us have trouble making decisions like this so don't worry!

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

I agree completely with mcmjilly...I think the marble backsplash might be the odd man out in this group of materials. what about some sort of glass tile?

• pudgybaby
    12 years ago

I agree w/ breezy about the floors - wood is a great choice for kitchens. However, I would prefer more contrast between the cabs and floor than your last picture shows. I also agree with the others about the marble.

We used a tile similar to your light choice with dark cabs in our master bath and used a dark grout (although our tile is probably more cream colored than yours, but has the line thing going on). We love the look and dark grout would certainly be easier to clean in the kitchen than light. But you have to be sure that it is installed perfectly because the dark grout shows the imperfections. That said, I would still do wood in the kitchen. This pic isn't great, but you can see the floor a bit:

{{!gwi}}

Good Luck - it's going to be beautiful!

• elba1
    12 years ago

I've heard that staining maple can look "streaky," and that it's more obvious the darker it is stained. If you go with the maple, see if you can check out a similarly stained kitchen (as opposed to just a sample door) to assure that you are happy with the look. I've heard cherry takes darker stains better.

• Kay M
    12 years ago

We have a nearly finished chocolate stained maple kitchen with dark grey floors (very similary to your choice) with charcoal grout. We went with a darker counter (Blue Pearl GT Granite, which is a grey/blue/silver). Pics below for you to get an idea of the look. We actually considered a lighter grey floor that looks similar what you are considering as well, but really liked the look of the darker grey when we put all our samples together. I am not a fan of the grain of oak, so that was never an option for us for the look we wanted (which has similarities to the look you are going for).

We haven't decided on a backsplash yet, so I will be living with the painted backsplash while I collect samples. If you could get a credit for your backsplash and live with paint for a while, you could always do it later (and probably cheaper than through the builder).

You may want to consider the amount of natural light in the kitchen when deciding on the countertop color. Lighter may be better if the space is darker.

Good luck to you.

• uroboros5
    12 years ago

Oak Java is grainy, but very dark, it would not look rustic - especially near the contemporary floor tiles (I choose the white one!). Oak Java is splendid. SPLENDID.

With those floor tiles and grainy dark cabs, I would steer clear of the carrera for the backsplash, too similar to the tiles, recalls the grainy wood but not in a good way. It would work with the maple better than the oak.

I would use mosaic tiles for the backsplash. Square ones, because subway tiles are becoming too 2010 and while they will look modern today, they will look dated tomorrow. Also, subways are "cold contemporary" rather than "warm contemporary." White tiles like the floor, or some blend of white and gray would be the ticket.

The cabinets are warm colored, and I wouldn't go for cold gray counters. Maybe a warm brownish-gray.

• adel97
    12 years ago

I like the contrast of the light tile with the maple cabs. The oak is too grainy for me and not in a modern way like a walnut grain. I LOVE the marble bs (it looks like mine!) but it says more "warm contemporary" than "industrial contemporary" to me. (Marble always seems to warm up a space.) I agree that glass or continuing the quartz on the bs would be more "industrial" if that's what you are going for.

Your first inspiration pic reminds me of my kitchen...I think we have similar tastes from looking at your inspiration pics. You can see it here if you are interested: http://sonivirt.posterous.com/29286787. I also linked to my gw post below.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: My quartz and marble kitchen

• celineike
    12 years ago

I kinda like the idea of Greys flowing up. So, dark grey tile floor, med grey counters and a light smokey grey BS.
    I do also prefer wood floors. But tile has a mokre modern look if thats what matters most to you There is a wood flooring line that comes in Grey -beautiful!!! I think they are called Du-Chateau.
    Anyway. The marble tiles could still work in this scenerio but a solid Caesar stone bs in pebble would be very cool too.
    I like the maple cabs better too.

Your inspiration pics are beautiful!

• BumpyRoadtoHome
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone for all your comments. It honestly is a big help. We decided to go with tile because husband really wants it. Even though hardwood is softer on your feet, he worried about discoloration due to high traffic and water. Also, we worried about scratching and dinging the thing if we dropped utensils. But thanks for the suggestion.

They had this oak with a grey undertone in rift cut which I absolutely loved. But it's 40% more in cost, so I don't know if it's worth it.

For those who asked about light, here is a layout of the back area of the first floor. (don't mind my crappy paintshop skills haha). The space includes the kitchen, nook & living room. The long squares on the top perimeter of the image are the windows/sliding door. There is a sliding door at the back of the room, flanked by two smaller windows & a transom above the sliding door. There is also a larger window at the end of the living room as well. The area isn't as big as what I drew..but you get the general idea.

@sharonite - I LOVE your kitchen. I actually came across your photos before I wrote the post and it's one of my faves since coming across kitchens on this forum. How are your counters holding up? I've been discouraged from sales people all over saying that white quartz can still stain.

• adel97
    12 years ago

Bumpy, I'm thrilled with my quartz counters. They are caesarstone "Blizzard". I have gotten stains with melted frozen blueberries left overnight (don't ask!!), beets, and red wine, but so far all stains clean right up with a little Soft Scrub with Bleach, no muscle needed even. I generally just use soap and water for everyday cleaning. I use a 50% alcohol spray when i feel like the counters need a little extra sanitizing and the soft scrub only as needed for the rare stain.

A few weeks ago my neighbor's little boy decided to draw on the quartz with a blue ball point pen. I had a mini heart attack when I found it later but lo and behold, it disappeared with a little soft scrub as well, no harm done. DH is a counter edge banger when he cleans up (he's trying to be better) and we've had no issues with chipping either. If you love the look, like I do, I say go for it!

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

I love this tile... I used a different color in my home:
    {{!gwi}}

• chicagoans
    12 years ago

I like the dark maple and white counters. Floor is tough as I like all the ones pictured (esp. remodelfla's above) and I'm also a fan of wood floors in the kitchen.

I like your inspiration backsplash -- it has a more contemporary vibe than the subways in your first post because of the skinny and varying shapes. Other thoughts are to look at the finished kitchens blog to see what else floats your (contemporary) boat. Some that come to mind are cat-mom's vertical white glass tiles; scottielee's shimmery MOP mosaics; and someone else's that I can't find right now but they stacked their long subways to look very contemporary, like the ones below. (This works best IMO with a single color subway rather than veined like marble.)

{{!gwi}}

• detroit_burb
    12 years ago

maple over oak.

three approaches to countertops:
    1) get a sample of the actual marble backsplash you want and hold it up to the quartz samples - this will give you an answer immediately. Some marble is more grey, some more brown or cream, others more white, just depends on the type and grade of marble you get. Only one of the grey or white quartz will likely "work" with the tile. subway style marble is more antique looking, but this can be changed up by laying it vertically and putting of stripe of something sleek randomly spaced.
    2) pick the one you really like, then go shopping for backsplash based on your choice like someone mentioned above
    3) i vote for grey for a more industrial look

either way, I definitely love "wrapping" the countertop over the side of the cabinet for impact, and the example in white where the top is 2cm material and the sides are built thicker is really visually interesting.

I like the texture of the white floor better than the grey floor, so I vote for "none of the above" and will say consider the linearly textured tile in a darker color with matching grout, and make sure it is rectified porcelain so you can do super thin grout lines.

• BumpyRoadtoHome
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@chicagoans - thanks for the suggestion. Can you tell me where the finished kitchens blog is? I searched and couldn't find it. Thanks

@detroit_burb - Thanks for that. The tile comes in other colours but they're more "brown". See the link below..and yep they're rectified.

Totally wish I could do the quartz wrap-around too...just don't think I have the budget for it.

Here is a link that might be useful: tile color options

• harrimann
    12 years ago

Here's a tile I had my eye on when I was in decision-making mode. I think the "Gris Linen" is more gray than beige and could look good with your cabinets. maybe a 12x24 tile laid in a grid?

Here is a link that might be useful: daltile fabrique

• BumpyRoadtoHome
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@mcmjilly - thanks for posting that! I like it! Would you say it's similar to the "olive" choice on this tile (see link)?

I only get to choose from the selection at my builder's supplier so this style is the best option.

Here is a link that might be useful: julian tile bamboo

• harrimann
    12 years ago

It looks like it might be similar to the olive. I spent a few lunch hours at my local Daltile showroom and their sample seemed more gray than the photo. Have you seen a sample of the olive?

This is tough, isn't it?

• drdannie
    12 years ago

I would vote for the maple over the oak; love the tile for flooring, but would have them installed close together with as little grout lines showing as possible; love the white for countertops; and have you considered stainless for the backsplash? It would give you that industrial feel you want.

• stogniew
    12 years ago

remodelfla,
    what is the source of these tiles?

• kaysd
    12 years ago

I am not usually a big fan of oak, but Coastal Modern Love's kitchen with dark stained oak cabinets and white quartz counters is stunning.

Here is a link that might be useful: CML

• chicagoans
    12 years ago

here is the link to the FKB. It's being revamped and right now I don't think the backsplash slide show is working. But you can click quickly thru the kitchens slideshow and then click on a picture you like. Or look up by owner name along the right; or click on the Categories link on the right and look under contemporary.
    HTH!

Here is a link that might be useful: finished kitchens blog

• BumpyRoadtoHome
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@mcmjilly - fun to a point haha.

Yes, I have seen it in person..here's a photo. I think mine has more brown in it than grey...

{{!gwi}}

@chicagoans - THANK YOU!

@kaysd - I love Coastal Modern Love's kitchen! I wonder if her oak is quartersawn or rift cut..because you can't notice the grain as much as typical dark oak.

• rmsaustin
    12 years ago

I think that CML's kitchen might be rift sawn oak (or at least quarter sawn). Whatever they are, they are gorgeous! I would only do the oak over the maple if you went with a rift sawn -- which I think you indicated was much more expensive? Rift sawn oak and maple look totally different in more natural tones, but I don't know if it's worth the extra cost with the dark stain you are planning. Please post finished pictures.

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

That tile I posted is from Daltile the Timber Glen line.

• coastal_modern_love
    12 years ago

BRtoH originally thought (my memory has gone downhill since having children!) they were quarter sawn but remembered and confirmed they are rift-cut and the grain is noticeable IRL. I like the warmth of the texture contrasting with the coolness of the Caesarstone counters. I've always disliked oak and reminded me of my childhood 70's kitchen, but once I saw the sample with my stain I was sold! Plus, for me, a slab style in maple would not evoke the interest that the grain gives. I am also planning my Mbath reno with rift cut grey painted cabinets.

• TopSolutions
    12 years ago

I suggest you go with the white quartz countertops with the darker cabinets, but don't do the carrara splash, do glass tile instead. Caesarstone blizzard would be a good choice, like Sharonite suggested.

Here is a link that might be useful: www.CountertopSolutionsFL.com

• BumpyRoadtoHome
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

I ended up choosing the Ceasarstone Blizzard as suggested!!

And while I have chosen the maple over the oak, now I am considering a rift-cut oak but not as dark as the maple. I just got quoted and it's going to be an additional $3,300...

• BumpyRoadtoHome
    Original Author
    12 years ago

One question aside..

Our kitchen has a door which leads to a walk through pantry that leads to the laundry room & mudroom. All places mentioned have tile.

Shouldn't there be consistency and the same tile should be used since it's only separated by one single door?

For example, if I'm using 24x12 white-ish tiles in the kitchen...wouldn't it look weird if the adjoining pantry & laundry room were set at 12x12 tiles or a different tile altogether? My husband thinks it will save us some money, but I think it's weird not carrying the same size of tile or colour throughout. It's a different story if it's a separate bathroom in a different area right?

• chicagoans
    12 years ago

I think the tiling choice (same through all spaces or different) is a personal preference. If you use the same all through, you'll have a nice visual flow. If the 12x12 is a compelling cost savings in the laundry room and mudroom, I would consider doing some kind of transition in the pantry. It could be something as simple as the same tile style but in different sizes, set up to look like a 'rug'. (See examples below.) Or you could use some of the same type of tile but add new colors for some pattern and interest. Or of course you could go nuts with some gorgeous mosaic tile rug (I think it was Igloochick who found one on eBay) but you have to balance that tile and install cost with the savings on the 12x12.

Stuff like interesting tile makes me stupidly happy, so I would do some kind of transition pattern in the pantry, whether simple or fancy. I'd start by looking at what other sizes and shapes your tile choice comes in, and what other colors are in that line that you like. But that's just me and you might have something else that makes you happy!

simple tile rug:
    {{!gwi}}

transition with a simple border - this is probably the easiest (and I think it's good looking) if your tile has some kind of coordinating 2x2s; then the inside of the border could be the 12x12s, set on an angle if you like:

two colors:

{{!gwi}}

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022