Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texas_gem

GW location- part 2

Texas_Gem
9 years ago

I noticed the previous thread reached its max so I figured I would start a new one.

If you didn't reply to the other thread, please reply with your name and location.

I'm Jennifer from the Texas Panhandle.

bcafe- what area of the panhandle will you be relocating to? Any questions you might have about the general area, stores, best restaurants, etc. feel free to ask me.

Comments (47)

• xtacie11
    9 years ago

I'm Stacie and I live in the San Francisco bay area.

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

First part is here:

Here is a link that might be useful: part 1

• countryatheart
    9 years ago

Motherof3sons-next time I am floating in my inner tube I will wave to you!

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Howdy. Linda from Memphis. :~)

• chrisinsd
    9 years ago

Beautiful San Diego

• tea4all
    9 years ago

Sylvia from the Heartland--Kansas City area.

• bluetea57
    9 years ago

Carol from Winthrop, Massachusetts (right outside of Boston) or as we say....Baahstn!

• browniepie
    9 years ago

I'm Kimberly in Nashville, TN

• bcafe
    9 years ago

Texas_Gem, we are moving to Amarillo. DH has been there since April!

• lenzai
    9 years ago

Elena in the DC metro area. Great thread!

• Texas_Gem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

bcafe- Oh that's rough!! Being apart I mean. I'm in Amarillo too, well technically out in the country between Amarillo and Canyon.

I hope you enjoy it here. Its hot and dry and windy, but we have great sunsets and Palo Duro Canyon!

• darbuka
    9 years ago

Linda from Long Island back again, to answer a query from AnnaC54, on part 1.

Re: my handle, darbuka... yes, I do play one! Actually, I've got three Middle Eastern drums, and a djembe, a drum from Africa. Percussion has always been my passion!

Few people know what a darbuka is. You made me smile. :-)

• vdinli
    9 years ago

Another Long Islander here..about 35 mins( or 2 hrs) east of NYC depending on traffic!!

• darbuka
    9 years ago

vinudev...gotta love the LIE, eh? I'm about 25/30 mins east of NYC, on a good day. Does the LIE have a good day? :-)

I'm on the North Shore...you?

• vdinli
    9 years ago

darbuka, Ha-the only time we have made it back from NYC in 35 mins is in the middle of the night! We are mid-islanders.

• deedles
    9 years ago

Hey from another Wisconsin GWer. On the east between Milwaukee and Green Bay.

• pcpr_gw
    9 years ago

I'm Paulo, living in Woburn, MA (about 12 miles North of Boston).

• new-beginning
    9 years ago

Texas Gem - hoping to make you feel better - my first name is Carolyn and I live in Texas, in a small community (no post office, store, gas station, etc) - we do have a "biker" bar and a small convenience store though. About 50 miles west of downtown Houston, so just a bit north of the Texas gulf coast - native to Texas, as was my Mom and her Dad so I guess that makes me a 3rd generation.

I finished my budget renovation five years ago and sold that house 3 years ago but lurk somewhat frequently just to see and admire what other folks are doing.

• flwrs_n_co
    9 years ago

Hi! I've mostly been lurking for five years. Home is the burbs southwest of Denver. Should have finally been starting my kitchen and bath renos this summer, but a family illness has my attention for the duration of the summer.

• nhbaskets
    9 years ago

I'm Carole from seacoast area of New Hampshire. Did you know that NH only has 13 miles on the coast?

• annac54
    9 years ago

Linda (darbuka), I know what one is and have one too, along with a riqq and several sets of sagat. I was a member of a M/E dance group for several years, and we had a few numbers that were choreographed to use our own home-grown percussion. Glad to see another lover of eclectic music. :)

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

Hello, I am Rae from Columbus Ohio!

• motherof3sons
    9 years ago

Waving back CountryatHeart!

• bbtrix
    9 years ago

I'm Trix, born and raised in Chicago but settled in Southern Illinois a long time ago. I also have a condo in a Northwest Chicago suburb.

• amykath
    9 years ago

My name is Amy and I live in the Texas Hill Country by a lake in between Austin and San Antonio. The town is called Canyon Lake. I moved here from Austin. It is not easy going for groceries etc. when it takes an hour or more round trip! However, I love it here!

I have been on this forum for about 14 years.

Photo of the beginnings of our new build.

• westsider40
    9 years ago

Hey justretired

our new house is close to Sabino Canyon, too. We are winter neighbors.

Where are you from-in the summer?

I picked out tile at SCS but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

• SYinUSA, GA zone 8
    9 years ago

I'm Sarah from southern Ohio. I'm a stone's throw from mama_goose, who has one of my favorite kitchens EVER on GW.

• OOTM_Mom
    9 years ago

OOTM, Odyssey of the Mind, I'm a coach, usually mechanical problems.

This post was edited by OOTM_Mom on Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 22:50

• Lynne-in-PA
    9 years ago

Hello! Lynne from a bit east of the Pittsburgh area of Pennsylvania.

• MissAmelia
    9 years ago

Hello all! I am Devon and I'm from Long Island (Nassau county currently) New York.

• justretired
    9 years ago

Hi Westsider40

I live in Minnesota. Not too many Gophers signing in here.

• ck_squared
    9 years ago

Hi from the Twin Cities!

Was wondering where all my fellow Minnesotans were. Hi justretired (lucky you!).

• justretired
    9 years ago

Hi ck

Glad to see we are represented! I no longer live there but grew up in St. Paul. Still get back there occasionally for a Twins game or visiting.

• autumn.4
    9 years ago

Lisa-western Michigan. Lurker and poster in spurts. Mostly on build forum and in kitchens...I am about at abb status. :)

• CTN30
    9 years ago

I'm in Boston, and really just discovered the wealth of information that is GW as we started our kitchen "refresh".

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Haven't had time to finish the spreadsheet but bumping to catch a few more

• nancyj
    9 years ago

I'm Nancy in Los Angeles. I'm acting as GC on a complete gut remodel, we tore down to the studs and added on approx 1000 sq ft. So far so good! The tile, finish carpentry and cabinet installs are happening this week and we hope to be back in on August 1st.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

I am up to 88 entries - although some have more than one entry as they live in more than one location. I still have a lot more to enter into my spreadsheet from part 1.

California is in the lead with 12
    New York is second with 9
    Michigan and Texas are in third place with 6.

We have about 25 states (and DC) and 2 Canadian Provinces represented so far. I know there are more Canadians out there!

Lots of good information - talented musicians, GCs, etc. 2 people live close enough to bicycle to Google (in 2 different states)

flwrs_n_co hope your family member is doing better.

AKtillery - that is quite the undertaking - we hope to go bicycling there.

bbtrix - my DB and SIL live in Darien on the south side of Chitown.

pcpr - are you near OldBat?

NHbaskets - the coast of NH is famous...

aamassther - we are planning a trip to Asheville NC - I think you in SC but they aren't far apart.

At least one person has been active with GW for 14 years!

Lots more to enter before complete and then have to figure out the best way to share.

Stay tuned!
    A2Gemini

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

Nice to see so many New Englanders! Originally from Winchester, MA but now living in south Florida.

• aamassther
    9 years ago

A2gemini, you'll love Asheville. We often describe it as an Ann Arbor of 20 yrs ago and with better weather. I live about 20 miles SE of Asheville. If you want any restaurant suggestions, I would be happy to offer them!

• pcpr_gw
    9 years ago

a2gemini says:

"pcpr - are you near OldBat?"

To be honest, I don't know where she lives, but it can't be that far away. I'm supposing I live halfway between Boston and her place, but I could be totally wrong about it. My city is about 12 miles from Boston and, while it can in fact be just about a 15 minute drive when it's not rush hour traffic, it can easily take over 30 minutes sometimes when traffic is bad.

In her post she mentions she lives 30 minutes from Boston -- so she could live around the corner from me (that would be a hoot!) or somewhere further with more space between homes.

I'm hoping that folks that live near this area could get together someday even if it's just for coffee and chit-chat.

(And sorry for the delay, just saw your post now when I went digging for the two location threads, they seem to fall off the first page in no time at all...)

• kcorn
    9 years ago

Another Michigander here. Suburbs of Detroit.

• kellysar
    9 years ago

I'm Kelly from the Doylestown area in Bucks County, PA.

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

Hi. I'm Wendy from western Washington.

A2-i know you have me on your spreadsheet already. :)

• musicgal
    9 years ago

Living in Cypress, Tx. now which is part of the Houston metroplex on the westside. Will be moving to the Huntsville, Tx. area soon (hopefully). New house.

• enduring
    9 years ago

Hi, I'm Barbara from Central Iowa, on a family farm spanning 3 long generations. A storm's a comin'

This post was edited by enduring on Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 18:21

• sherri1058
    9 years ago

Sherri from Toronto, Ontario. I lurk more than I post, am in the planning stages of a new kitchen but am still suffering from reno fatigue, so who knows when I'll actually pull the trigger! Great info on this site!!