Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vicnsb_gw

Such thing as a good blind-corner cabinet?

vicnsb
15 years ago

I am considering a 48 blind corner cabinet (24 door)

so that I will have room for a 30 drawer bank instead of

a corner lazy susan.

Is there a decent one out there that somebody really

likes using?

Thanks a lot!

Comments (16)

• kchaconas
    15 years ago

Hi vicnsb,

I have 3 blind base corners in my exisitng kitchen. Two out of the 3 are pretty useless. That's because I only put things back there that I use infrequently otherwise it's a real pain to take things out/push things aside to get to what you want.

So, in my baking corner I put Xmas tins and cookie cutters. Around the holidays when it's time to bake I pull everything over.

One corner cab holds liquor, so a few bottles are shoved over, but not too far. Another has misc stuff, flower vases, candles ... stuff. Whatever got pushed over down there I haven't seen in years!

I also have 2 blind uppers. The one for glasses is fine because if I need more glasses for a party, the other ones have already been in use and are out of the way. The other one is again mostly unused.

Maybe their usefulness is limited by what I've put into the cabinets ... but in the new kitchen I'm planning right now, I'm trying to get rid of the blind spots.

Kathy

• astridh
    15 years ago

I am putting in a Hafele "Le Mans" unit in each of my blind lower cabinets. They are very expensive but the custom cabinet guys said all his customers love them. They pull out completely, making it very easy to access your stuff. The cabinets are not yet installed, so I can't say how I like them. I had lazy susans in a previous house and never really liked them.

• claybabe
    15 years ago

I had the lee valley unit in the first kitchen remodel, and I really liked it. It wasn't terribly expensive and it's only issue was that the back unit only pulled forward and not out the door. That never bothered me, however. It seems like a lot of folks are not liking these units right now, but there are a lot of us who do.

It was definitely a better solution for us than the half moon things. And the corner was too small for a lazy susan, even though that's what came out of there.

YMMV, but I really liked the unit. Of course, I didn't mind the susan either! And the blind corner on the other side of the kitchen was a nightmare, so I was genuinely appreciative!

• natal
    15 years ago

I used a Lazy Susan in one corner, but opted to ignore the other. Was going to have the cabinet maker make the corner space in the peninsula accessible from the back side, but there was an issue with making the door look like the other panels and in the end I said forget it. I don't miss the little bit of space I would have gained. Instead I got 2 36" drawer banks and a small cabinet for cutting board storage.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• vicnsb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone...well I am going to rework the plan
    to see if maybe I can use a lazy susan in the corner
    and still get enough drawer space. Thanks for all the great input as always!

• cambro5
    15 years ago

I did exactly what natal did - blocked off a corner and put in a 9 inch cabinet for my cutting boards! I never used that corner when it was blind, so I don't miss it and I love having storage for my cutting boards!!

• zinnah
    15 years ago

I did something completely different. Outside the kitchen we have our main entertaining deck. So rather than deal with the blind corner cabinet issue, I built a box with a door facing outside. Of course this takes a bit of planning in the framing stage and we used light weight stucco on the door so the door is not too heavy. I must thank DW for this idea, we had many "discussions" during planning, but I give her full credit for this one. We store candles, barbeque tools etc. in this cabinet. This also improved a our layout as we required only 3" fillers at the inside corners, accommodating a a full blind corner cabinet would have screwed things up.

• flseadog
    15 years ago

My ingenious SIL rerouted some plumbing and ducts through the blind corner and freed up space elsewhere in the kitchen for more usable space. She was renovating a 50 year old home and was very surprised to find odd things inside walls and soffits but managed to find a good solution to what seemed insurmountable obstacles to a good layout.

In my own new build we designed a kitchen with no corner cabinets at all since I hate them so much. All of my cabinets are straight runs and I'm looking forward to no wasted space, no lost trays/cookie sheets/tupperware, and absolutely no unintended mid-afternoon stretches for something essential that's drifted to the back of the cabinet.

• loves2cook4six
    15 years ago

I have two of the Haefle Magic Corner II units and I love them. Unlike the Magic Corner I units, the door opens towards the cabinets and then the front section has a handle which pulls out the front section the opposite way while pulling the back section into place. The drawers on the back section then slide out.

I like this because on one of them I keep less frequently used items like my 20 qt stockpot in the back and I don't have to actually pull the unit out of the cabinet unless I need the infrequently used stuff in the back and the front stuff like serving platters and the toaster is still very accessible.

The other corner has all my appliances that I use frequently: Front has DLX, Food processor, accessories, and Cuisinart Grill; back has waffle iron, juicer and accessories, all very accessible, easy in, easy out and easy back in :)

• Buehl
    15 years ago

We turned the corner cabinet around and made it 27" for the 3" "filler" that would have been needed in the corner to open/close drawers. It turns out we needed 4"...if I'd known that I would have made it 28"!

The "difficulty" in doing this is that you need to have a toekick on the other cabinets whose backs are on the same cabinet run. Pic:

• salal_08
    15 years ago

How about using the relatively new corner cabinet drawers? I'm planning on two of the 3 corners in my kitchen having them. You need a minimum 39" from the corner to either side of the cabinet is the only problem.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blum corner drawers

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

We did the same thing as natal and cambro, but with a 12" cab for baking sheets and cooling racks. We had an access panel cut into the side of that cab, accessing the blind corner, and had the gas shut off valve put in there.

DH says we we could stash our riches in the "secret" blind corner as well, if we could just manage to accumulate some! LOL

• salal_08
    15 years ago

I am planning to do full height counter-depth cabinets between the fridge and the wall oven and was trying to find a counter-depth Lazy Susan for the upper cabinets. While googling various combinations I came across this web page that was obviously some forum like this one but for professional cabinet makers. Near the end of the thread Contributor L shares his calculations about how much prime space you waste trying to make good use of the corner space. I'm not entirely sure his calculations are correct but he has a point regardless. I think I will take out the really (really) expensive hardware I was considering as well as the very expensive Blum corner drawers and just make the most of the prime real estate left behind. Two of the corners can be accessed from the opposite side in an adjacent room and I'm thinking of a nice niche for the music amplifiers/tuners/etc. and some drawers for the dining room for the other one. If the dog wasn't so big, I could make a little den for her in one of them. For the third corner, I think I'll plant a time capsule for the next renovator like someone else on the KF has suggested.

Here is a link that might be useful: Corner Cabinets

• flseadog
    15 years ago

Wow! That was a quite scientific discussion of a common problem, salal. Loved it!

• vicnsb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the link...great food for thought!