Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
igloochic

new to granite business...help?

igloochic
15 years ago

ok since everyone's brother in law is now a bad granite installer....why don't i get into the business?

i had an idea....please help? my granite yard has a huge pile of 3cm granite and various other stone scraps. i'm going to make a walkway out of them by cutting them into square or rectangular shapes (most need only one cut) and lay a patchwork of them next to the entry to my rental townhouse aND THEN WON't have a yard to maintain out front. my neighbor loves the plan so we'll dp hers too. scraps are free, but do i need to rent a particular type of tile saw or blade to do this?

i promise not to make countertops if you help. my gardener will lay the bed appropriately and instead of grout we'll use sand.

Comments (12)

• overlyoptimistic
    15 years ago

I dunno igloo. Have you upped your does of pain meds recently :) Maybe I just don't have your vision, and perhaps it could look really cool, but I wonder if it is going to look like a number of kitchens barfed granite scraps in the front yard.

On the other hand, the scraps are free and it sounds like it could be fun to try. So I say go for it and then send us some photos.

In terms of the tile saw, I suspect any good wet tile saw (e.g., Imer, Target, Felker) with a decent blade will do. If Bill V chimes in he may give you some additional pointers.

• sue_ct
    15 years ago

Make sure that you do honed surfaces or otherwise deal with the slipperiness issue. Polished granite and rain I don't think would mix well. But I bet you could get it to look great. Patchwork quilts are highly valued by some.

Sue

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

Igloo, back off the meds girl!! I took a sample piece and used it at the entrance to my little shade garden, like a lintel at the gate, dug a nice hole for it, looked good, firm , first step I took on it, CRACK! (no fat jokes please) I guess I goofed.
    how about on top of outdoor bench seats, or around a built in fire pit, as a outdoor kitchen counter top - pieces set into concrete/ mortar whatever. heck I will come to AK and help you.
    I am going to use scraps of soapstone that way when I get around to it.
    Hey anything done inside we can see??? how is the old arm? and the little guy??

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

trust me....I already tried it and it looks BAD. Like overlyoptomistic said.....it looks like a kitchens barfed granite scraps in the front yard. If the pieces were much smaller and the colors mixed together, it may look OK, but with large pieces, it looks just like what it is....scraps of kitchen countertops. Also...it's REALLY slippery. I did get a large round granite tabletop that had broken in half and set it in the shade garden with a potted fern on top...that is beautiful!! I am thinking about making a stacked stone wall though. The thickness is uniform and the colors don't show that well from the side.

• dprisock1027
    15 years ago

At least you have the creative juices flowing! I can't wait to see what you come up with!

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

Get yourself a wormdrive skillsaw (that's the one that looks like a "stretch" model) You're also going to want a dry diamond blade for it. Now, you can do one of two things. You can either cut just with that, which may give you a bit of a chipped edge. But if this is for garden "steps", that shouldn't be a big deal. OR, you can look on line for a water hookup for the saw (they DO make them, and yes, they're safe. I've used them several times myself) and cut the stone wet. Either way will work.

Or, you could do it the poor man's way, and just hold a sopping wet sponge against the blade as you cut, too. (been there, done that one, too!)

Which ever way you end up cutting. make sure to put down some kind of tape for the "plate" of the saw to ride on so you don't scratch the stone.

• igloochic
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks all...i didn't describe the spaces well...they're about two feetwide and they are NEXT to our walkway so you would never be walking on them :)

i'm going to do it (thanks bill!) and it's going to be fabu and you are going to love it heh heh :oP (ok when the doc ays i can lift more than a piece of paper with my arm).

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

Yeah, considering that most 3 cm granites will weigh about 20- 25 pounds per square foot, you might want to let your arm heal up first!! :-)

• kitchendetective
    15 years ago

Honed or polished side up? If shiny, I still think you'll have a potential problem with slippery surfaces. Surely, people occasionally step off the main walkway when stepping stones beckon them. Could be a liability issue for a landlord. There are sealers made especially for flooring stone so it will be less slippery. What kinds of granite are you considering mixing?

• igloochic
    Original Author
    15 years ago

HA someone's done it!!!!

and we don't really worry about slipping here. we get little rain, just snow, and at that point it doesn't matter what you're walking on. the areas beside the very wide cement path are also clearly defined.

my idea is to do a less random look with aall rectangular shapes. i'm not sure if i can manage it this year or not (before the ground freezes) but i'm going to do it!

Here is a link that might be useful: granite patio

• sue_ct
    15 years ago

Actually, if you limit the colors of granite you use and make some type of pattern, and the stones are all cut into finished shapes, I think it would look nice. Say you cut them into sqaares or rectangles, and used black and white granites, you could make a pattern similar to black and white floors, or a square out of one type of black and inside that a square of white granites and then another black or near black granite, ect. As long as you have enough scraps of one type or color and cut them to uniform sizes, I think it would look great!

Hey, if anyone can do it its you, igloochic! Then put a cafe set with a couple of chairs on it and I'll go get that frozen margarita maker I've been wanting and be right over! (How far is it from CT to Alaska? Even with the Prius it might take two tanks of gas, I think. Been wanting to really test the limits of that GPS, anyway)

Sue

• overlyoptimistic
    15 years ago

Igloo,

Given the arm and all, I suspect you could get Bill to take a summer vacation in AK. I know Maine has lobster, but there is some mighty fine fishing in AK. I took a vacation to Anchorage and Seward about 7 years ago (right around the 4th of July and it was a amazing trip). And given the poor state of the American greenback, AK looks relatively cheap.

Keep us posted on the progress. Glad to see that the arm hasn't slowed down the posting.