Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Type of wood for white cabinets and finish

Posted by CT_Newbie (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 0:21

I had assumed that Maple would be best and most practical for high quality white painted (or factory finish) or stained? cabinets. Is that correct or would you suggest a different type of wood.

Also, I'm not quite sure I understand the differences between painted (is it only hand painted or also factory finish painted) and stained. Is one better than the other for white? I think Wood-mode/brookhaven might have said they stain their cabinets white. Feel free to correct me if you know otherwise

Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Type of wood for white cabinets and finish

If they offer "paint grade" that is fine and saves money- it is typically Maple but lesser grade but can be poplar in rare cases (softer) yes WM/BH paint is different, not convinced it is that different or any better- harder to touch up though.

o

MDF center panels with maple stiles and rails is the preferred choice for painted cabinets. It will minimize the wood movement and paint cracking. Lower end "custom" guys will use plain house paint, but your better quality manufacturers will use higher quality materials that the local maker cannot get access to.

o

Thank you both! Holly, is the MDF center panel preferred for catalyzed factory finish as well? I was thinking MDF was a lesser quality than a solid wood. Are you saying that all solid wood would cause a problem with natural expansion and contraction?

Thanks

o

I'm saving money by choosing mdf panels for my painted white shaker doors. My custom cabinet builder advised that it will have less expansion/contraction cracking - but also that the sound of doors closing is less "solid".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here