Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pdxgal_gw

White Oil Based Paint

pdxgal
14 years ago

Why didn't anyone tell me that white oil based paint has a tendency to yellow over time?

This is my first kitchen/house remodel and I have sure learned a lot. One being that white oil based paint yellows, and can yellow pretty quickly (sprayed a little over a year ago). My entire house was sprayed with BM Satin Impervo paint for trim, doors, and kitchen cabinets. It looks great, is durable, cleans nicely, but in the kitchen I've noticed that where the cabinet doors meet the frame they are yellowing. Also on my window sill, it's starting to yellow underneath the objects I have on top of the ledge. Is this common?

For all of you that have white kitchens (I know there are a lot of you out there), I'm curious what kind of paint you have and have you noticed any yellowing? Again, the yellowing is only in places where air can't get to so it's not on the outside, but I do have spots on my window sill if I ever want to move what I have on top of the sill. I don't suppose there is anything I can do about it?

Comments (11)

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

Oh dear, yes this does happen. I am a little surprised
    that BM shop did not tell you this when you bought the
    paint. Oil based white tends to yellow.

I believe the only fix is to repaint it. However maybe
    if you cross post on the paint section of GW someone
    might be able to give you some tips.

• buffalotina
    14 years ago

I believe the darker the environment the more it will yellow. Yes, it is common knowledge and the paint shop should have told you. That is one reason I love latex enamel for white trim - it will stay white! I don't think there is anything you can do. OTOH I must say it does give everything a real vintage look - my painter said he actually likes the way oil paint yellows with time as it gives it such a classic look.

Good luck.

Tina

• pdxgal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nope, no one told me. Not even my painter. A little annoyed. If it all yellows evenly (kind of creamy looking) over time together than that is fine, but where I notice it, is where it has been covered up (underneath objects) and inside the cabinets doors (i.e. where it is darker and not getting light to it). Not that big of deal I suppose.

So if we stay in this house long enough, can you use latex enamel and paint over oil? Is latex enamel durable for a kitchen? Is that what most people have used in their white kitchens? I feel a little foolish for not knowing this before hand.

Thanks Tina for making me feel better. I'll keep telling myself it's vintage and classic looking :)

• prill
    14 years ago

I'm just about to have my kitchen cabinets painted white. This has me worried. Can I use a latex on kitchen cabinets? will it hold up?

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

The area under the edges of my cabinet doors has done it too, and they are grey blue. If there is light in the kitchen, it doesn't happen quickly on the outside, you will notice it most on areas that are mostly covered.

I read it somewhere, either on the can, or on the BM website that this happens.

• bellaflora
    14 years ago

Oh yes -- oil based always turned yellow over time.

Good water based paint for cabinets, per my experience: (1 being best)

1. Fine paint of Europe (expensive but worth it)
    2. Farrow & Ball**
    3. Cabinet coat (good flow, durable)
    4. SW ProClassic

(**I love Farrow & Ball but their color range is limited, the paint doesn't come in high gloss so it may not be for everyone)

I tried waterborn Satin Impervo by BM and it's really crappy. JMO :-D

If you want a good, easy to find water based paint for cabinets, I would go with Cabinet coat, it's sold at Ace hardware.

HTH

• pdxgal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Prill - Good question. I posted this over on the paint forum. I'm curious to know.

Palimpsest - Glad to know that I'm not the only one and that this is common. Suppose I should have read the paint can.

• pdxgal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bellaflora - Thanks for the tips. I'll have to write those down to remember them.

So do most people who have light cabinets use a waterbased paint for their cabinets rather than an oil based one so to prevent discoloring?

• prill
    14 years ago

Are you getting any different responses on paint forum?? I think I may ask my painter to switch to a water base acrylic paint. He uses SW - looks like they have one.

• teppy
    14 years ago

i used benjamin moore waterborne impervo on my kitchen cabinets. so far, its holding up after 6 months. honestly, alot of the decision to use a latex was due to the fact that i painted them myself and really did not want to deal with oil paint. they did come out great and i love them. i do have benjamin moore oil based on the rest of my cabinets in my house. they were painted 14 years ago by painters. they have a better finish in my opinion, and i don't notice any yellowing. the benjamin moore waterborne impervo is a bit difficult to work with at first. its very thick and creamy. not at all like any other latex, but not like oil either. you have to get a 'feel' for it. it does wipe well and has resisted chipping so far. my husband and son are like two bulls in a china closet. my kitchen has already endured alot of roughness in its young six months. i have to say that my white cabinets still are perfect after a good cleaning when needed.

the impervo waterborne is supposed to be as good and durable as the oil impervo. i guess i will have to wait and find out.

• pdxgal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Prill - No new responses on the paint forum.

Teppy - Very good to know. Thank you. I wonder if the BM waterborn impervo had been sprayed if you would like the finish as much as your other cabinets with the oil finish? But great to know that it's holding up well.

I think I'm going to go in and talk to people at my paint store. When we redo our basement and have to have the woodwork sprayed down there, I may see how touching up some of the kitchen cabinets. At least now I know what to ask/look for.

Thanks everyone!