Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
musicteacher_gw

drop in sink a no no?

musicteacher
9 years ago

I am getting a soapstone countertop and hear from many of you that the most likely place to get chips is around the sink. So wouldn't it make a lot of sense to have a drop in stainless steel sink rather than an under mount? My hubby often does the dishes at night and there is a lot of clanging going on, so I would really worry about the soapstone. Would this ruin the antique feeling of soapstone? I want to get a Victorian type faucet - maybe bridge. Would this look out of place on a drop in sink? Thank you so much for your advice. I really haven't mastered this form/function balance.

Comments (15)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

musicteacher:

It's pick your poison, really. You may get a chip in your soapstone with an undermount, but you'll get a dent in your drop in from the same blow. I'd rather repair the soapstone than the stainless and be able to wipe right into the sink with no lip.

• User
    9 years ago

More than half the reason that people choose stone is to be able to have an undermount sink. Negating that choice takes away the big advantage that stone holds over laminate. You can get a lookalike in laminate with a drop in sink for under half the cost and none of the chipping.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

There are various designs in SS drop in sinks also. Some have the traditional, large, rimmed border; some have a minimal, flat, thin border. I know that Ruvati told me that their sink could be used either way although marketed as an undermount. Search for dual installation sinks to get some ideas.

Ruin the antique look? That is in the eye of the beholder, I guess. To me, a standard SS drop in sink doesn't look "Victorian". I think of a white rimmed drop in or a SS with drainboards when thinking antique. Maybe a search on Houzz would find some examples similar to what you are thinking?

• friedajune
    9 years ago

I agree with Raee - as I was reading your post, I was struck by how you say you want a Victorian type bridge faucet, and antique look of soapstone counterâ¦.and then a stainless steel sink. That sink doesn't go with your goal. And there's the huge advantage of an undermount of not having a rim to catch stuff (which gunk I think may stay there for years). I think the look you are going for may do best with a sink like the Kohler Whitehaven - a white enameled cast iron apron front sink. It comes in two styles - a taller apron front and a shorter apron front. It has the awesome corner drain. Unlike fireclay apron front sinks, it's a standard install. People on this forum who have Whitehaven sinks love them.

As an aside, regarding a bridge faucet - just make sure you are OK with having to turn two knobs to use the faucet. I could never go back to that, after having the ease of a single-hole single-handle faucet. Imagine your hands having just worked on a chicken, and then you have to use both of them to turn on the faucet and adjust to the right temperature. Some people don't mind that, and love the look of the bridge faucet. I advise you to go to a kitchen store and see faucets on display before you make up your mind for that style.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kohler 2-min. Video about the Whitehaven Sink

• User
    9 years ago

I agree with the other posters that an undermount or an apron front sink is much better than a drop-in sink. You are using the sink every day many times a day - do you really want to deal all the time with cleaning what gets caught under the rim of a drop in?

I am also hearing some worries from you about chipping soapstone which worries me! If you are already worried about this before you even have the counters, perhaps soapstone is not for you. Do you really want to be always anxious over your husband at the sink and whether he chips the soapstone? And the soapstone will chip, if not at the sink, then elsewhere. If you are not 100% comfortable with that aspect, you will not be happy with soapstone. I would like to suggest to you "Jet Mist" granite, also known as "Virginia Mist" granite. It has a similar look of soapstone, but is bulletproof granite. It is not soapstone, of course, it is granite, but you have to decide whether you'd like a worry-free counter with a similar look of soapstone, or if you want the true soapstone and become comfortable with its patina.

There was a recent thread of some Jet Mist counters installed, which I will link. I think they are lovely, so you might want to consider them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread from Kitchen-Reno about Her Jet Mist

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

do you really want to deal all the time with cleaning what gets caught under the rim of a drop in?

If it's properly sealed on installation, NOTHING should be getting under the rim.

Do you ever take a look at the intersesction of the countertop and the sink with a drop-in? They can get grotty.

• irmaly
    9 years ago

I love my drop in sink in my soapstone, but I paid a mint for it. It's "Microedge" by Blanco.

• chesters_house_gw
    9 years ago

Better for going whole-hog vintage would be a repro sink with legs rather than a modern "farmhouse" sink (which you might like or dislike for ergonomic reasons). See the Strom at the link.

But garbage disposals and under sink storage might also spoil the vintage mood.

It seems to me that undermount vs overmount for soapstone probably doesn't matter otherwise. Overmount can go with the thin style or with a bit more vintage-y cast iron. One overmount advantage: ease in changing out the sink should the mood or need arise.

Undermount does make it easier to sweep crumbs into the sink.

Here is a link that might be useful: Strom

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

I did my last kitchen with a porcelain drop in sink (Kohler Bakersfield) and I loved it! I had black honed granite (as close to soapstone as I could muster) and the contrast between the black and white was nice. I was looking for a modern old fashioned look and it was just perfect. I think I may have liked it even better than my current undermount stainless sink.

• jill314
    9 years ago

Personally I have no trouble sweeping crumbs into a drop-in sink, and undermount sinks make me feel a bit skeeved out.

I agree that it makes sense to check out photos on houzz to see what sort of combinations appeal to you.

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

"Do you ever take a look at the intersesction of the countertop and the sink with a drop-in? They can get grotty."

this. I never understand those who say this about a drop in sink over an undermount. If things seem to be creeping up around the edge of a drop in, an old toothbrush is a good friend to have on hand. and as posted, it should be sealed under there. I'd worry more about what is growing underneath with the 'under' sink - that I can't see!

• musicteacher
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all your advice. I know I am all over the place between my dream look and practicality. Love that Whitehaven sink - but it is pretty pricey for me. It has a lifetime warranty - is it really unchipable? Thinking about it...

• andreak100
    9 years ago

Something that I don't think anyone has asked is what is the size of your sink currently that is causing your DH to hit the edges? Maybe if you are planning on getting a larger sink, this hitting of the lipped area or edge reveal (depending on which route you go for the sink), this won't be as much of an issue.

I also agree that a stainless steel sink seems to run contrary to what your "antique" goals are. Definitely head over to Houzz and do some searches there. Pull out an inspiration photo (or three) that has many of the elements that you are planning on having. When making a decision, check to see if the desired object fits with your inspiration photo so that you don't get swayed.

If you do decide to go with a bridge type sink, someone mentioned needing to turn on both handles to get your "mix"...you may want to consider getting a Tapmaster...takes away needing to touch the handles at all for the most part.

• lam702
    9 years ago

We chose a drop in. I don't find any "gunk" around the rim at all. I think both drop in and undermount could get gunk stuck in the edge, like anything else you have to keep it clean. I chose drop in because that gave me the option of changing it if I wanted to at a later date. Down the road, I may want a gray or black sink, but for now, we have stainless. And I thought it would be easier to keep clean than the undermount. My sink stainless steel and I've never had a stainless steel sink dent, I would have to take a hammer to mine to dent it I think. Unless of course you have a very thin one. I know undermount is the current trend, but I am not totally swayed by the latest trend, I choose what I like, and what works for me. Because, realistically, trends come and go, today's trend is tomorrow's dated look.

• friedajune
    9 years ago

For fun, here's a photo of the Victorian kitchen at Downton Abbey. You can see the sink in the background - a shallow apron front, perhaps in copper. You can copy that look by getting a custom sink from a place like Handcrafted Metal, but expect to pay a lot. Or, the Kohler Whitehaven with the shorter apron front--while not the correct material--is a similar shape. You have to make some compromises with a Victorian look for your kitchen.

I also agree with Andreak's comment about the size of the sink - having a large single bowl sink will make a big difference toward not banging edges while washing larger pots and pans.

Here is a link that might be useful: Copper Custom Sinks at Handcrafted Metal

This post was edited by akchicago on Sun, Jun 15, 14 at 11:01

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH