Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boone_2009

Countertop color with saltillo tile floor, white cabinets

boone_2009
10 years ago

I'm finally looking at countertops, yaaay!
Our new cabinets ( which will be installed next month!) are white ( Schuler White Icing) except for the bank of drawers/ spice rack pull-outs beneath the cooktop ( within a brick arch) which will be a pecan wood stain.
We're keeping our Saltillo-look tile floor. Appliances will be stainless steel.
I'm leaning towards white/gray for the countertop ( granite or quartz) and using the tile color as accents on a light -colored backsplash but worry this will look too sterile. Our kitchen gets quite a lot of light.
I've just started looking at granite and quartz and am already dithering.
*Please* give me some suggestions.
Thanks!!

Comments (13)

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

Could you post some pictures?

• boone_2009
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Palimpsest ( like that name!),

Here are the pics of the two cabinet colors ( door style for both is that of the pecan; the wood for both is maple ) against the Saltillo-like tile floor.
    The white -painted maple cabs will predominate; the pecan wood-stained cabinetry will consist of drawers and spice pull-outs only, beneath the cooktop, which is in its own brick-trimmed enclosure. I will post a pic of that separately ( currently there's oak cabinetry beneath the cooktop).

• boone_2009
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the brick-enclosed cooktop area where the pecan cabinetry will take the place of the current oak.
    The white tile and the countertops will be demolished along with all the oak cabinetry. The brick will remain along with the floor. Same footprint. The lighting will be recessed ( white baffle trim). The pantry to the right of the cooktop area will be in the white maple, as will all cabinetry to left.
    Please give suggestions for countertop ( granite or engineered quartz) color( and backsplash ideas as well).

• boone_2009
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Anyone? Please? Pretty please?

• remodelfla
    10 years ago

I love the idea of a grayish stone with the brick. First thought is something like typhoon Bordeaux.
    Still learning my new iPad so I couldn't imbed a pic

Here is a link that might be useful: [Houzz pic[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/scotia-remodel-rustic-kitchen-minneapolis-phvw-vp~734616)

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I love the link remodelfla posted. After seeing the white tile that is there now, I'd go with a warmer color also.

• boone_2009
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Remodelfla and marti8a: Thank you for the suggestion. I already looked at Typhoon Bordeaux and it varies so much in the slabs I've seen...nothing like the beautiful counter in the Houzz pic :-(.

What do you think of Amber Fantasy granite? I tried posting the link but it was huge.

I also am looking at Cambria Torquay, Silestone Mont Blanc and Cesarstone Misty Carrera. Any comments/suggestions/opinions?

• boone_2009
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rosie, thanks so much for your thoughtful suggestions and for the gorgeous pics.
    A lighter tile to carry the Saltillo all over the backsplash sounds great - funny that I only focused on 'accent' tiles!
    Interestingly, I'm 'off' the Amber Fantasy granite and have been looking at exactly what you recommended in your post! Light and subtle.
    Today I came across a beautiful quartzite in a granite yard - it is called Amazon Pearl but I can find nothing about it on the web. I know names vary for the same stone but nothing looked like it, not even Sea Pearl quartzite.
    I was gazing at pictures of Bianco Romano and River White granite online, when I read your post.
    Do you have any personal recommendations?
    Thanks, again, Rosie!

• maxee123
    10 years ago

I also have saltillo tile floors and white/cream cabinets. I chose creme de Bordeaux granite and love it! I did have a VERY difficult time coordinating the backsplash. Finally chose Fireclay debris series 3x6 tile on Butter Toffee. I think the coloe is perfect picking up tones from my Mexican tile as well as the countertop. This handmade tile suits all components... Floor, cabinets and countertop. Tile will not be shipped until July 6. So I am hoping it will be as perfect as I am hoping!!!!

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

I also think the Fireclay series would have something that coordinated for the backsplash. This would be a good kitchen for quartz counters since quartz comes in non-patterned monolithic colors. (Grey tones come to my mind for bothThis would also be a good kitchen for some Talavera tile inside the brick hood, but I don't know how ethnic you want the kitchen to look.

• boone_2009
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maxee 123: I need to look at the Crema Bordeaux again...that was one of the first granites I favored. I bookmarked the Fireclay website a week ago! Thank you! I am sure the tiles you chose will look lovely and meet all your expectations.
    Palimpsest: You must have read my mind! I was thinking of a Talavera tile inset in the cooktop backsplash!
    I think I'm leaning more and more towards quartz for the countertop.
    Thanks!

• maxee123
    10 years ago

I also have saltillo tile floors and white/cream cabinets. I chose creme de Bordeaux granite and love it! I did have a VERY difficult time coordinating the backsplash. Finally chose Fireclay debris series 3x6 tile on Butter Toffee. I think the coloe is perfect picking up tones from my Mexican tile as well as the countertop. This handmade tile suits all components... Floor, cabinets and countertop. Tile will not be shipped until July 6. So I am hoping it will be as perfect as I am hoping!!!!