Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momto3kiddos

Yippee! Backsplash paralysis has ended well...

momto3kiddos
10 years ago

I did not have a hard time choosing anything for our new house until it was time for the backsplash. I had even already described myself as a "granite girl" not a "backsplash girl" when I started shopping for tile, but in reality, finding the right look, color, pattern and feel was much harder than I expected. Then a weekend in Chicago shopping at all of their fabulous tile places and I was utterly confused. Eventually I found the right tile... Pratt and Larson 3x6" subway laid in herringbone pattern. After waiting a month for it to arrive, I told the tile guy that I wanted it in herringbone on a 45. He had a few sq ft up when I walked in and it was run vertically and horizontally, so. He pulled it down. Then I laid it out on the counter to show him what I wanted. I walked around the house making a punch list, then came back to see a vertically running herringbone where the visual zig zag was top to bottom, so I asked him to change it once again. It is now fully installed and I am thrilled with it! I thought you guys might like to take a peek. I will post full kitchen pics once my new pendants are installed. Thanks for all of your feedback along the way.

Comments (18)

• mnnie
    10 years ago

Very pretty - really perfect style, especially ties with the wine rack.

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Lovely! Looks perfect with your granite, too.

• Ivan I
    10 years ago

Beautiful. The texture makes it extra special, and herringbone is always interesting. Flows very nicely with the granite.

• akl_vdb
    10 years ago

Looks great!

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Love it! Glad you didn't hang out too long in the abb club!

• rkb21
    10 years ago

Looks beautiful!

• deedles
    10 years ago

Very nice! Always like that herringbone pattern. Looks good with the granite, too.

• kksmama
    10 years ago

Very pretty. Thanks for explaining the difficulty of communicating, clipping your picture so I can "show" rather than "tell" when the time comes.

• rosie
    10 years ago

I really like it, Momto3. I'd copy that! Really. I really like the gentle movement and energy the herringbone adds.

Thank goodness you were there, though. The guy laying my hearth brick totally ignored my layout, set out in place just the way I wanted it and explained to him moments before he started, to completely rearrange it into a running bond that that required cutting brick, which mine didn't. Seriously, this guy was neither blind nor deaf, and I think it had to be some kind of pathetic power thing. He didn't win--because I was home.

• heidihausfrau
    10 years ago

Beautiful!

• chiefy
    10 years ago

Beautiful! I love how much more "oomph" changing to a herringbone layout adds.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Beautiful!

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Perfect. Can you share the granite and the actual color of the tile? Inquiring minds, always want to know!

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Beautiful!! I love herringbone. Good thing you were there, huh? I can't even visualize what he tried to do the second time. It's certainly a cautionary tale and a reminder that if you want stuff done a certain way, you need to verify it yourself.

• Locrian
    10 years ago

Lovely =). When you have time, please share the type of tile & granite you used. The cupboards, granite & backsplash colours all work harmoniously.

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

It looks lovely, congrats! Looking very much forward to the reveal pictures.

• User
    10 years ago

It's beautiful. I had been thinking of doing a herringbone pattern too and your photo clinched it for me. Thank you!

• Peke
    10 years ago

Whey don't they ask us to explain if they don't understand what to do? My cabinet guy had a copy of my cabinets drawn out. Four to a stack turned into three on the finished cabinets in my kitchen. He didn't even ask me!

I am so very glad you were home to catch his mistakes.