Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
williamsem

Ok, ok...you want a reveal, I need to pick paint first!

williamsem
9 years ago

I've been negligent in getting my reveal posted. Mostly because my kitchen is full of my great room stuff for more remodeling. It's only fair, I had an entire new kitchen sitting in the great room for months.

So what's the problem.? Paint. I can't find the right color. Help me find a color and I will be able to finally put everything back in the right rooms and can take reveal picks.

Yes, I am bribing you with pictures. We all know those are like currency around here.

I have a thread over in Decorating, but since the request came up here and more people post here, I'll gladly solicit help. This forum has the added motivation of getting kitchen pics out of the deal!

The room: 13x28 great room, half 8 ft ceiling and half vaulted foyer open to the stairs an second floor hallway (so a TON of wall space getting painted). Has an unframed doorway to the kitchen (PPG Montego Bay). White mantel and trim.

Contents:

Color insights: DH forbids any form of green, and he's serious. True grays are too cold. I'd consider a very light color as long as it will still contrast with the white trim (not look like a failed match). I lived in a sand dune for a decade (beige carpet, trim, and walls) so I don't want to recreate that by picking a color that feels like the floor surrounds you.

DH really wants a gray, so I'm trying to find a grey that's warm enough but doesn't have pink/purple/orange undertones. I would absolutely go to bat for the perfect non-gray color if needed though.

So....suggestions? There are two windows, but they don't get sun all day.

Comments (21)

• ktj459
    9 years ago

What about sherwin williams pediment? It's a soft warm grey that might work.

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

I'm no help in grays, but I just wanted to say, I LOVE YOUR FLOORS!

• romy718
    9 years ago

I never see anyone suggest this gray but we painted BM La Paloma Gray. If you look at the fandeck & think it's too dark (like I did) sample it anyway. As soon as I put it on the wall, I knew it was right. It's a medium to light gray with just enough color saturation.

• speaktodeek
    9 years ago

How about a grey with a purple undertone? This one is Sherwin Williams 6268 but there are a ton of greys with purple or perhaps aqua or indigo undertones that would tie in your elements and look fabulous!

• mgmum
    9 years ago

BM Palladian Blue? It does change in the light to be a bit greenish, though. I have it in my living/dining room and I love it! I have dark laminate floors, and a gray couch. It looks great with white trim.

How about the omnipresent BM Revere Pewter. Seems to be a go to gray. I've never seen it in real life so I can't comment on how it looks IRL.

• williamsem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

When I get home from work I will check out each and every suggestion. Many thanks for those! Keep 'em coming!

• browniepie
    9 years ago

Benjamin Moore revere pewter

Valspar Oatlands subtle taupe

Two fantastic greiges

• my_four_sons
    9 years ago

Glidden Polished Limseone reads gray blue green, so it may be out, but it's such a great color.

• berner43
    9 years ago

My very good friend was looking for the same kind of gray and just painted her kitchen SW Copen Blue. It looks gray in some lights and blue in others but is really beautiful. She liked it so much she had them half the color and did her stair walls and upper hall.

• OOTM_Mom
    9 years ago

Here are SW monorail silver, pediment, taupe tone, and snowbound. I used pediment as a contrast to my trim color of snowbound. (Snowbound looks a lot whiter IRL than in this pict. Pediment is a pretty versatile grey.

• amyktexas
    9 years ago

I have ppg sharkskin on my kitchen island and a den on the other side of the house. I love the depth of the color, it's more of a griege and would go well with your other color choices.

• dcward89
    9 years ago

Another sort of greige color...Behr Sandstone Cliff. We just recently painted our lr/dr this color and I love it!!!

• maggieq
    9 years ago

Been following your post over on decorating. Only thought is to make sure it coordinates with your gorgeous kitchen color.

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

FWIW I've got SW Pewter Tankard in my DR and it's perfectly warm and welcoming. I get tons of compliments on this color.

• williamsem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ooooh, pretty colors! I may need to head back to SW.

Got a call tonight, the couch is arriving with the chair a week from tomorrow. I'm going to continue to investigate all suggested colors and get more chips. Then hopefully once the furniture is here it will be easier to pick!

I need to focus on getting a closet system in the living room closet so I can clear some floor space this weekend for the furniture, but I will try to post a few of the suggestions with the suggested color swatches after I get some chips to look at.

Thank you for all the great suggestions! More are welcome...

• autumn.4
    9 years ago

Grieges we have tried: BM 1550 - cumulus cloud casts a bit dusty purple in shadows which didn't work for us but might for you. We ended with BM 1535 - Seattle mist which sometimes is more gray in the kitchen but casts more tan by our fireplace stone. I don't see green in it but it is near some more green colors in the fan deck. Dh calls it the perfect shade of Gran-gray and tan.

We have revere pewter in our master and I think the Seattle mist is more gray.

An old pic.

• feisty68
    9 years ago

I like EAM's Cornforth White suggestion. The F&B colours are amazingly complex - they have awesome neutrals that complement art and natural surfaces like wood really well.

Here is a link that might be useful: other pale to mid neutrals

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

I just chose Behr's Sandstone Cove for my living room! BUT, and this is terribly important, I chose it because it was the RIGHT greige to go with the fabric on our new couch and the pillow pattern I chose.

I narrowed my choices down to two, they were SO close on the chips. I bought samples, painted the walls, and the one looked absolutely purple! So our suggestions can only be a guideline, as you must try samples on the wall with your fabric in your light before deciding...unless you really like painting and don't mind doing it over a couple times, lol!

• dcward89
    9 years ago

greenhaven...did we post the same Behr color with different names? Maybe I got the name wrong...either way, I love the color in our lr/dr!

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

Dcward, I am guessing it is the same color, but which of us got it wrong I cannot say, lol! I wrote down what was one my smaple can since I lost the chip. It is going to be a great color for my living room and the soothing, neutral palette I chose. I am ready to get it painted but I refuse whilemy kitchen is still undone!