Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnyflies

Anyone install a foot pedal for their kitchen sink?

sunnyflies
14 years ago

I want to have a foot pedal put in to use along with a regular faucet for my main sink. One like hospitals use, so that I can do messy chores and wash my hands without touching the faucet. I am so tired of having to wash my faucet handles each time I handle raw chicken or meats and need to wash my hands. I have been thinking about it a long time and now that I am about to start work on my new kitchen, I want to put one in.

I saw an article recently about a kitchen a surgeon designed and he had one put in his. He said it only cost an extra $150 or so and he didn't understand why more people didn't do it. I agree. However, my plumber isn't sure how it would be done. Any advice? Thanks.

Comments (10)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

Delta pilar faucet is cheaper than most tapmaster options if you opt for chrome and shop around.

• dinkledoodle
    14 years ago

Have you considered one of the hands free faucets? Just asking.

• Buehl
    14 years ago

If the "hands free" faucets are anything like the ones at our office, no thanks! They have such a small sensor area that's not easily "found" that they're a pain to wash your hands at...it would be a nightmare to try to do anything else with them!

(I've noticed the same in the restrooms at airports & other places that also have "hands free" faucets, so I think it's a technology issue, not a manufacturer-specific issue.)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

The pilar is not hands free, but you just tap it turn it on, so you can hit it anywhere on the faucet itself or the separate handle. But you can use a wrist or forearm, so you avoid a lot of the potential cross contamination issues (there's a video on their website, but their flash design makes it hard to do a direct link.)

The hands free faucets I've seen have been even more expensive than a tapmaster.

• sunnyflies
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone. I will look into both options. I am trying to design a practical kitchen as this is our forever house. I want to make it easy to use now, and as I get older. I have no idea if the surgeon got a discount, but his kitchen was featured in an upscale magazine not long ago. I've been looking through my heaps of mags to see if I can find the article again. I didn't tear it out because I don't think it gave any further info about the faucet, though I wish it had.

• loves2cook4six
    14 years ago

This isn't a decision you need to make right now. The Tapmaster can be retrofitted.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

>This isn't a decision you need to make right now. The Tapmaster can be retrofitted.

Yes, and while the pilar line of faucets are the only consumer grade ones so far with that technology, I would expect that there will be many more coming along in the future in more styles and from other manufacturers, too. I'd love it in something more traditional looking, or at least a single hole faucet setup.

• dinkledoodle
    14 years ago

Yes, I was thinking something more like the Delta Pilar. The touch-activated faucets are a bit pricey, but if you add up the cost of a top quality faucet, plus adding something like a Tapmaster, plus installation, you have a comparable product without the hassle and IMO a better look. If you're thinking of aging in place, remember that foot controls can be a problem later in life too.

There have been quite a few Tapmaster discussions here on GW. Click here [Tapmaster on gardenweb.com] if you think they will help with your decision making process. But, there are no right or wrong answers. Just what works best for you. Good luck on your choice.

p.s. At our office we discovered the the problem with our motion detector faucets was the grime an scale buildup on the sensor. Our building's cleaning staff now keeps up on them and they work much better.

• Tiffany Coggins
    7 months ago

Back in 2007 I installed one with 3 solid tubes that came down from the cabinet. One for hot, one for cold and one for the disposer. I loved it!! It was expensive, I can't recall how much. That particular company is out of business I think. But, I have found new options. The company with the most options for types of control is Tapmaster. Here's their link: https://www.tapmaster.ca/