Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susiemw

old metal kitchen sink: what do you think?

susiemw
11 years ago

Hi all,

I'm redoing the kitchen in a small lake cottage.

The metal sink I have is original to the cottage and other than being a dingy dirty white it's in good shape except for some wear from rubbing on the top of one drawer and one side (that would be covered by a dishwasher or cabinet has a small hole in it.

I found a pic online of my exact metal sink...yes, I have one of those metal cupboards also!

this pic has me thinking about having it painted and putting it back in the kitchen.What do you think... old metal cabinet/sink or new cabinet and sink?

Comments (12)

• dianalo
    11 years ago

I absolutely love that kind of sink and the cabs. We actually got slab front white Ikea cabs and were quite proud when someone mistook them for vintatge metal cabs once because our hardware was old style.
    I'd have to see the real condition of your sink to have a true opinion about it. If it were mine, I'd replace it with another just like it if I could not salvage it. We have a vintage sink with one sideboard and just adore it. If we could have had the both side kind like yours I would love it even more. Our sink is a single, but I gladly take that kind of double as well. We were lucky to get ours on freecycle in pristine condition, so the price was right, lol. It is a cast iron Kohler from 1940. I am not sure what can be done to save an old sink if there is a lot of damage or wear. Have you tried bleaching it with paper towels full of bleach left on them for a good length of time? Ours cleans up well if it starts to get dingy.

• susiemw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The sink itself cleans up nicely. I have no concerns about the sink. it's not the pristine white like in the photo but it's good enough.

I've been using the sink and cabinets for the last 12 years since I bought the place. The cabinets have to be painted. Originally they were white, now they are just dingy and they don't clean up nicely.

susan

• mermanmike
    11 years ago

I really like it. I am struggling with the same question. I have one of these old sinks and I am not sure how it will look with the new cabinets I'm choosing. I would be more confident if it was one of the older ones with the higher splash, wall-mount faucet and apron front. I would love to see what you do with it if you use it.

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

In the 70s, my mom had her refrigerator electroplated. I think it's a better alternative than just painting metal. Particularly something that's going to get a lot of wear and water.

The reuse center in Baltimore has cabinets like those, too. In white, pink and turquoise. Go figure!

• pawa
    11 years ago

if you can get it to be mostly white, even if it has lost its luster, keep it, IMO. (if it's just gross and looks dirty all the time, bin it.)

Those sinks are chockablock full of character that you will lose if you replace it. It is the perfect touch for a cottage. Also, in a cottage, your expectations are a little lower about newness.

I wouldn't apply any paint or anything. I'd rely on bleach.

For the cabs, maybe spray them so that you get than nice, even, glossy look.

I would be more confident if it was one of the older ones with the higher splash, wall-mount faucet and apron front.

why?

dinnalo - do you have any pics of your kitchen? would love to see it.

• GreenDesigns
    11 years ago

Metal cabinets are pretty easily painted by an auto body shop if you help with the prep, as in sanding them down and getting them smooth. They aren't really a DIY job unless you own a spray gun and really know how to use it on a flat surface and not have drips and runs.

The cabinets are also desirable collectibles, so if you decide to go with other options, you might look at putting them on Ebay.

• TheRedHouse
    11 years ago

Try painting the cabinets. We did that in our last house and even through we didn't really know what we were doing, they looked so much better (they had a nasty, gloppy brown paint job before). They would've looked amazing if we had prepped them better and sprayed them. :)

It would be great to be able to keep something that cool, especially since it's original to the cottage.

• quiltgirl
    11 years ago

Have old vintage sink like yours( Kohler cast iron 1940's) and we had it glazed. It is in my laundry room and is perfect for there. However the glazing does not stand up to heavy use. Would not do it for a kitchen unless you could have it re=porcelained. Could not find anyone in the states who does that to cast iron. I believe there is a place in or near St. Louis that will do metal based sinks, but cannot do cast iron. Cost when I checked was about $400 for a five foot single sink with double drainboards. I love the look and practicality of these sinks. Even if you do a different base, I would still keep the sink.

• deedles
    11 years ago

Forget the re-porcelaining. No one does it and I've heard that the one place that says they do it (not sure if that's St. Louis) don't do a very good job. Believe me, I've looked.
    Oxygen bleach and then GelCoat. Of course, the bowls will wear but the GelCoat stays on the porcelain for a surprisingly long time and give it a nice shine.

Agree with taking the cab to an auto body shop. Agree with keeping it. Pretty fabulous if you can make it nice enough for a cottage. Totally cute in a cottage setting, too.

• susiemw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone. Great input. I appreciate all the ideas and now I have a lot of research to do!

Gsciencechick: That retro renovation site is great. Lots to learn there as well.Thanks for the link.

to do list:
    buy beadboard
    find flooring for kitchen and bath
    post kitchen floor plan on this forum
    research bead blasting (as opposed to sand blasting)
    research electroplating
    stop finding more things to research!

• Emeris O'hara
    9 years ago

i have or should say my community council have 2 of these kitchen sink cabinets w/drawers with 0 chips for sale here in johnstown,pa also a claw foot tub..814-539-1921 for info..all resonable prices considered..and all proceeds go for kids summer camp...