Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clerkshipwanted

please (!!!) help me with my kitchen layout

housebuilder14
9 years ago

so - what do you all think? (1 square = 1 foot)

Info - family of four, breakfast area will have a table, dining room is around the corner, family room is next to kitchen

kitchen island 4x10. it will have a large sink, dw and garbage pullout. there might be some seating as well

wall parallel to island will have a 30 inch or 36 inch induction stove top plus one gas wok burner. below that will be a single oven. there will be another dishwasher as well. this wall is only place where there will be upper cabinets

wall perpendicular to island will have two 30 inch integrated refrigerator/freezer, a single oven, steam oven and cabinets with space for a toaster, microwave and coffee makers (regular, espress)

if there is room i think i will also put a cleaning supply closet on this wall with a plug for my dustbuster vac.

pantry is long a fairly narrow at 13x6 but it is what it is, i think. this pantry will also have cabinetry to store my china (I have three generations of china!)

thanks!

Comments (13)

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

5 feet is kind of wide when trying to load the second dishwasher next to the cooktop. Is there a reason the second dishwasher can't go on the other aide of the sink?

Where do you plan to store all of your dishes? It helps if they are close to your dishwasher/s as it makes unloading much easier.

I notice you only have one sink and your plan to have your coffee pot on the other side of the room. Have you considered another smaller sink?

• schicksal
    9 years ago

Why two dishwashers for a family of four?

• jaynes123_gw
    9 years ago

Wow - our kitchen are like the mirror images if I flip yours vertically (attached), incredibly similar down to the measurements.

Agree with your fridge / freezer location. We're getting separate 30" columns fridge / freezers and initially had both where yours are but then decided to bring fridge onto range wall to be closer during cooking. .

Youll see on 3 rectangles on length of our island opposite the sink - theyre storage cabinets for little used items. If you dont do seating, would be good use of otherwise vacant space or could still do with seating if you extended width of island to accommodate for seating and cabinets.

Also agree with your oven on that wall - where we intended one when we considered wall oven. After items are popped inside to cook, dont need oven til bakings done so didnt want taking up space of work triangle but now we're doing full range.

We had your trash/ sink / DW corner initially which certainly works and I liked DW at sink right. We switched it though - with only one kitchen trash pullout, wanted it at corner accessible to both range/ sink and freezer/ prep wall work areas. Maybe something to consider.

We regularly use our micro when cooking so have a lift-up upper cabinet (by range) for a plug-in counter top micro that will hide behind door. Mention because your doing integrated. When it inevidently burns out, unplug & replace. We had fun of having a builtin micro replaced. Had fun of going thru replacement of builtin micro not to long ago, never again.

LOVE that panty! As you mentioned, your china plus sure other stuff - looks like whats referred to as 'costco closet'. We've nearby laundry room that also serving as a bigger backup panty but how nicely located yours isr.

Double DW owners have posted their love of having them, betting youll be happy with that choice with your family size. We're just two people, opted for 2nd sink instead

I **DEFINITELY** recommend thinking thru your cabinets AND drawers NOW and based on what you currently require for storage. Wish we had done this from the start. We got our plan and then had to tweak it afterwards for storage. Ended up with heavily used items on range wall and lesser used items on freezer wall.

Know this is lengthy - just feel like Ive met my kitchen twin, still surprised especially considering how many revisions we worked thru to arrive at ours so you know Im a fan of yours *smile* Would be fun to see our final mirror kitchens.

• housebuilder14
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thank you for your comments!
    we will have two d/w because i entertain a lot. i have two now and often use them both. my dishes/glasses will go in the cabinets above the d/w next to the cooktop so hopefully unloading will be ok. i gues i should make sure that it is enough space up there (its about 5ft of cabinets so i think that should work - i have most of my everyday dishes and glasses currently in three cabinets).
    i didn't have the second d/w on the other side of the sink b/c i wanted the garbage there.
    i can close up the distance to 4ft. i had it at 5 b/c the cooktop and oven is almost across from the sink.

• jaynes123_gw
    9 years ago

I have a photo I'd found online, then tweaked to closer represent our floorplan.

I reversed it, pasted on a wall oven and doubled the fridge to look more like your floorplan - thought it might help you with visualization as I'd found it to be helpful.

• User
    9 years ago

That's a really odd location you have planned for your glassware. It's not near the beverage storage or anything else. Rethink that. When having two DW's the best way to configure that is to have them on either side of the sink. Having a DW away from a sink area is a recipe for a wet floor. Dish storage would be best located on the fridge wall, with the oven moving to the cooking wall. That way, you won't have intrusions into the hot zone for folks to set the table while you finish cooking.

• housebuilder14
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think i will switch my 2nd d/w with my garbage that way i just have to do the plumbing in the island.
    ok to have the garbage across from the sink versus right next to it? (that's how my setup is now and it makes it easy when i am cleaning up dishes.)

• housebuilder14
    Original Author
    9 years ago

wow - thanks for all the helpful responses!

live wire - thanks! the glassware is sort of caddycorner to the refrigerator so they are basically right next to each other. that is actually one of the things i thought about b/c now i have to go around a very large island to get from my glasses to my fridge and its pia! and it will be right across from the diswasher or above the second dishwasher if i leave it there versus moving it to the island.
    the oven on the fridge wall will be my "second oven" as i will probably use the oven closer to my cooktop for every day use. I did put a steam oven on the fridge wall -- have no idea how much i will use it.

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

I would still recommend a second sink. Maybe at the end of the island near the coffee station and ovens?

Anyone helping to prep can stand at that end to cut veggies, etc. Filling the coffee pot, rinsing hands off after popping something in the oven, a second sink away from the main dishwashing and cooking zones is immensely helpful.

• jaynes123_gw
    9 years ago

Glasses --- From experience, disagree fully with comment us to determine your glasses location by beverages and totally agree with your intended location as we purposely are storing ours there as well. .

What a pain - our glasses currently ARE by the fridge and only due to limited cabinet space.

I would happily carry one glass to fridge to get a drink versus the multiple trips we must make everytime we unload glasses from the dishwasher. They dont even stack like dishes to carry together. Think it just sounds like a good idea

• jaynes123_gw
    9 years ago

Got to disagree on the dishes on fridge wall too,

Not only would I not want them far from the dishwasher but as well dishes on the fridge wall puts them at furthest point from your breakfast area.

You have adequate floorspace around the stove, between it and island - dont see it at all being intrusive to get glasses / dishes while someone's cooking and that will be an especially convenient if you end up having seating at the island.

• jaynes123_gw
    9 years ago

Glad to see Texas_Gem comments on 2nd sink, this will be our first with one. Another reason we're getting one is we regularly defrost meat, chicken, fish for dinner (especially right there on freezer wall) to get a jump on defrosting before later shifting items to the fridge.

Nicer than defrosting on countertop and wont take up main sink. Bar / prep sinks can be inexpensive - got one with faucet for $100 a HDepot and might be a nice spot in counter corner besides your 2nd oven.

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

If it were me...I would move the ovens to the end of the cooktop run and the dishwasher next to a second sink, by the fridge. Hope this helps :)
    {{!gwi}}From Kitchen plans