Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joseph_corlett

Sink Change Pictorial

This enameled steel sink has a chip in the right bowl. Yes, the handle on the drawer is off center, but I didn�t install that.

This is the rough sink cut-out after the sink was removed. The rear rail is going to become the front to assure color match in the most visible area, plus I can�t get a router that close to the splash to make an edge to seam anyway.

I had to get replacement Corian Linen from somewhere, and the bathroom vanity gave it up.

The ripped backsplash is clamped together on a waxed plastic laminate top.

The ripped and clamped splash is fitted and clamped into place.

This is the new rough opening. The sink is placed on top and reaching up through the cabinet, I trace the opening in pencil. To create the negative reveal, after removing the sink I transpose the line inward a �" and cut along the line with a jigsaw. The rough edge is sanded, then profiled top and bottom with a 3/8" radius bit in a laminate trimmer, then finished.

This is how one man installs a sink by himself. The sink has been clamped in place, the reveals checked, and is lowered enough to allow application of silicone sealant to the sink flange.

Finished.

The seams are about as good as they can get if I do say so myself, but I can�t control for color and particulate match, despite stealing material from the same job. That�s why the rear rail became the front rail, so at least any mismatch will be in the rear of the top.

If there are conspicuous seams, they should show up in low level light shots like this one.

Here�s a Hercules Universal Sink Harness in action. The wires are screwed to the cabinet sides forming a loop on each side that is drawn together by the turnbuckle.

Oopsie. That dang sink managed to take a bite out of the drywall when it got away from me. No, you don�t get your whole room painted because I damaged your wall.

Almost dry. I�m sure it�ll nearly disappear and I�m glad it�s not at eye level.

Comments (11)

• greenhaven
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

That was pretty dang slick! It is so fascinating to see how things go together and the ingenuity necessary when one works on their own.

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

Great job, what patience and skill! Don't tell anyone or else they will be wanting you to come and fix their new sink!!!

Will you put tile in the bathroom where the side splash was removed? That would look nice and with your know how a snap to do! Those little mosaics would look nice along the side.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks.

gr8day:

The homeowner will figure out what he's going to do about replacing the missing backsplash. You can usually buy Corian in strips 5" x 144" so it could be replaced. Any color/particulate mismatch is much less conspicuous in that application.

• ardcp
    9 years ago

WOW! you are a master! we need a clone of you here in upstate ny!

• eam44
    9 years ago

Your work is beautiful T, far too good for the unfortunate handle placement that I can't stop obsessing about. Somehow I just can't look away. Who would make that error and not correct it? In fact who would place a pull on a sink front panel? And leave it that way after you turned lead into gold with that counter...

• Muffett
    9 years ago

Wow - what a great change. The pictures and explanations were outstanding. How long did the project take and is this one of your easier ones or more of a fun challenge? (You made it look very easy with a fabulous result, btw).

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Muffett:

Thanks.

This job was well over an hour away. I try to get them completed in one day, but I've been suffering bronchitis lately. At about 6:30 p.m. I noticed the wall damage that had been there for hours and I had no mud and possibly needed plumbing parts. I knew I was toast so I quit for the day. With drive time that was a 12-hour day and I finished in another 4 or so the next day.

The pace is relentless because the sooner you get it done, the more money you make per hour, but that's always tempered by my standards which I won't compromise. I'll take a beating on a job before I'll lay in bed at night wishing I had done it differently.

You almost have to refinish all the tops, because the area around the sink looks new.

Jobs like this are always pushing the bounds of cost effectiveness, especially when the granite guys are soooo cheap. A similar job before this one was in the $1,500.00 range including a Karran Edge sink, and I just bid another for $1,700.00. I don't like fixed bids, but prefer giving a price range. It's not my fault if your shut off valve won't shut off and I have to change it.

I don't know if I'd describe it as a "fun challenge", but I enjoy my work. When you build new there are fewer constraints, when you're doing repairs or restorations, there are more confining parameters.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"Your work is beautiful T, far too good for the unfortunate handle placement that I can't stop obsessing about. Somehow I just can't look away. Who would make that error and not correct it? In fact who would place a pull on a sink front panel? And leave it that way after you turned lead into gold with that counter…"

EAM44:

Sorry, but I was terrified some smarty-pants Gardenwebber would notice, point it out, and maybe think I did it. I've got enough of my own screw-ups to point out, thank you very much. lol.

It is a tip-out drawer if that makes you feel any better...

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ardcp:

Kevin Andres is in Chester, NY. He is the master.

Here is a link that might be useful: Solid surface repairs

• Amy Sumner
    9 years ago

Treb, absolutely amazing. Love seeing true craftsmanship in action. Thanks for the glimpse into your world. ;)

• andreak100
    9 years ago

" In fact who would place a pull on a sink front panel?"
    EAM - we have a pull on our sink front - that area is the same height as our drawers, so it lends continuity. And, it's WAY easier to open the tip out drawer located in that area by having a handle. :)

Trebruchet - really a lovely job. You should begin teaching seminars in other locations to get others to do the nice job that you seem to do...it's easy to tell that you take pride in providing a beautiful finished end result for your clients.