Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babushka_cat_gw

Seeking cabinet maker referrals in SF Bay Area

babushka_cat
14 years ago

Hi all -

Does anyone in SF Bay Area have a recommendation for a relatively affordable and reliable cabinet maker who could make inset cabinetry for a small kitchen remodel? Any referrals you have would be most appreciated! I live in the East Bay and am willing to travel around the bay for the right person!

Babushka

Comments (12)

• firstmmo
    14 years ago

Precision Cabinets. They are in Brentwood but they travel all over the Bay Area. They have the best prices and best installers by far. I am on the Peninsula and I see their truck occasionally in Palo Alto, Atherton and Menlo Park, so I know they will go as far as that.

You will have to travel there to do your consults, but they come out and measure and install wherever you are. I priced out my cabinets with a number of cabinet makers and these guys were the best priced hands down. Here are some of my cabinets--not quite moved in yet, but they did a beautiful job building them and installing them!

From Menlo Farmhouse
    From Menlo Farmhouse

From Menlo Farmhouse

Not kitchen but shows you what they can do:

From Menlo Farmhouse
    From Menlo Farmhouse
    From Menlo Farmhouse
    From Menlo Farmhouse

• babushka_cat
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks so much for the referral, i will check them out! your cabinetry and house is stunning!

i would like to price out a few co's for competitive bids so if anyone else has a name please post as well. thanks all!!!

• David
    14 years ago

Logan's Mill
    Custom Cabinetry & Refacing
    Quality : Affordability : Durability
    (408) 930 - 4054
    logansmill@yahoo.com

1194 Norman Ave., Santa Clara, CA 95054

• annkathryn
    14 years ago

I've had cabinets made by Amberwood in San Jose. They built a maple vanity for a bathroom, and more recently made a special-order door to use for a pull-out cabinet in my kitchen. The quality of their work is quite good.

Here is a link that might be useful: Amberwood Products

• babushka_cat
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Firsthouse -

thanks for your reply. what color did you paint your creamy white inset cabinets? can you request a benjamin moore color with them?

• firstmmo
    14 years ago

My cabinets are BM Simply White, a very common color. Precision Cabinets has a "standard color" called Swiss Coffee that keeps the costs down and it happens to match perfectly with BM Simply White. It's a very creamy, yellowish white but appears quite white when used liberally.

• David
    14 years ago

Some handiwork by Logan's Mill (Owner Paul Yuen)

• mrschris
    14 years ago

Pederson & Arnold is a cabinet maker in San Mateo. A friend with a beautiful new kitchen recommended them highly.

Babushka_cat, Did you manage to secure a good contractor? I really enjoyed (in a horrified kind of way because I am about to embark on a full gut & remodel) your post with the cost breakdowns.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pederson & Arnold

• remodel-mama
    14 years ago

Beautiful cabinets everyone! I have been meaning to ask why people go with having cabinets made by a cabinet maker and having them painted, rather than just buying custom cabinets from a cabinet company (Omega, Kraftmaid, etc.). Are cabinet makers cheaper? Are the cabinets better quality? Just curious...

• babushka_cat
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thank you all for the referrals. i will be reaching out to several so keep 'em comin'. i am in particular interested in co's that have demonstrated experience with inset cabinetry and are in the more affordable range :).

firsthouse - thanks for the reply on paint color. your house it going to be stunning, can't wait to see the reveal! i emailed my initial kitchen info to precision cabinetry, should know more next week.

mrschris- your post cracked me up. i found the budget discoveries horrifying too! glad i can share my horrors / experience with others - it has been an education for me. i will check out the san mateo co on monday. it looks like i will be going with contractor #5 (referenced on a prior post on saga of how to find a good GC). we met again yesterday and are close on the negotiations.

thanks to those who posted photos - much appreciated!

remodel-mama: i am debating between omega/dynasty semi custom or a local custom job. my thoughts so far:

SEMI CUSTOM PROS AND CONS: pro's cost effective - cabinetry will cost less than custom. cons: limited by paint color. i do not really like either of the two whites on dynasty line and labor cost to install smaller sections of modular cabinetry are higher than if i had custom cabinets which will be made in bigger sections. if parts are missing or damaged i would have to wait for a new shipment from mfg who is not local. could cause delay to overall project timeline.

CUSTOM PROS AND CONS: pros: can spec out exactly what i want in terms of cabinet design, can get the exact creamy white paint color, labor costs may be slightly less to install, in theory a local cab co should be able to remedy any issues quicker if something comes up on the job during installation. con's: cabinets will be more expensive than semi custom.

because i have a small kitchen with not a lot of cabinetry i may be able to squeak by with custom, will have to see how bids come in. will keep you all posted...and thanks again for your posts and insights. i am so glad i found this site!

babushka

• zartemis
    13 years ago

I just wanted to thank firsthouse_mp for recommending Precision Cabinets. We are still at the planning/pricing stage for our small, 12x12 (normal-sized, to me), kitchen and assumed we'd need to go no more than semi-custom to get a reasonable cost and tried to get an idea of what was possible and how much it would cost, but two kitchen design/cabinet places (also found through online references) never bothered to get back to us (! Maybe we are too small to be worth their time? If so, why couldn't they tell us up front?).

We made an appt and drove out to Precision and they were more than happy to work with us and get back to us with quotes (unlike the KD/cabinet places) and we are considering doubling or tripling the total scale of the order with them to do cabinetry in more rooms. I really enjoyed getting to see the construction factory itself, as well.

The previous cabinets in the kitchen were also completely custom from a local maker who also did the doors (Precision uses CalDoor), but the work had construction problems so we won't be using them again.

• LeoClaudioCabinets
    12 years ago

Please visit our website at LeoClaudioCabinets.com
    Sophisticated design solutions and a full range of services for a variety of lifestyles. We provide you with a unique opportunity to share in the design process. Discover your creativity using our versatile compositional solutions, both custom and standard, infinite choices of material, finishes and colors to compliment the aesthetic elements of your home
    Call us for your free estimate today!
    Thank You